9 hours ago, green lurchers said:

It’s a thing of beauty ? well it was.  Til  5 mins ago Lol 

DE8ACEEC-B0EA-4B91-B30F-927317C2D645.jpeg

I can take or leave eels but thats the best way to have them for me stewed on a plate of pie and mash......eels was poverty food,this was a desperately poor area after the war and eels were seen as cheap nutritious food.....its hard to believe its survived to the modern day.....i remember watching the blokes down Billingsgate chop up these energetic slithering creatures that we all thought at the time was such wonderful grub.....until they declared that the Thames as a river was biologically dead and was described in the media as " a badly managed open sewer "......that slowed down the popularity of eels somewhat but f**k it we was desperate as kids and they seemed alright at the time ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here is a pie of my own, call it Chicken Pie Cheat. It's so easy but taste really lovely. Some chicken thighs skined and chopped into cubes, fried off(could use breasts) one medium onion diced and fri

Asked for gravey on me pie n mash they told me I gotta go see a fella called Tony ? ???????

Aint you the chap who was in Tonys in Waltham Abbey the other week.....you need to sort your taste buds out...and for f**k sake dont tell him you thought it was Parsley Sauce ?

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, gnasher16 said:

I can take or leave eels but thats the best way to have them for me stewed on a plate of pie and mash......eels was poverty food,this was a desperately poor area after the war and eels were seen as cheap nutritious food.....its hard to believe its survived to the modern day.....i remember watching the blokes down Billingsgate chop up these energetic slithering creatures that we all thought at the time was such wonderful grub.....until they declared that the Thames as a river was biologically dead and was described in the media as " a badly managed open sewer "......that slowed down the popularity of eels somewhat but f**k it we was desperate as kids and they seemed alright at the time ?

Too true as kids ther was only one thing we were told to try catch of barking reach it was eels nothing else. Whiting was for cats and anything else wetnt needed just eels   We used to catch em from the river Thames the lea rioding and if you got a bucket full no other family member was aloud to have a bath the eels took center stage they were more precious than an old auntie lol 

• Haha 3
1 hour ago, lurcherman 887 said:

Dont eat the eel myself but that green sauce is just parsley sauce like what youd have with cod. 

Aint you the chap who was in Tonys in Waltham Abbey the other week.....you need to sort your taste buds out...and for f**k sake dont tell him you thought it was Parsley Sauce ?

• Haha 4
Just now, gnasher16 said:

He's a wannabee Cockney lol

Cheers, D.

• Haha 2
2 minutes ago, gnasher16 said:

Brilliant that and Jon contehs hair would straighten out lol 

• Haha 1
13 hours ago, gnasher16 said:

The Royal Oak was the boxing gym it was on the Barking Rd though not on Rathbone St... the pie shop you are thinking of was Ollies....dont know if you remember he used to have a parrot in the shop that would be constantly saying " gizza bit " ?....his daughter used to look gorgeous stood there with all blood down her nice white apron cutting the heads off the eels there was something quite sexy about it !.....the Raffy brings back a lot of childhood memories do you remember the Sarsaparilla stall ?....we used to call if the Raffy cough mixture....me and my brother used to nick bottles and keep them under our beds to sell at school i remember the ol man caught us and marched us down to old man Mr Moody to give them back,i remember them both explaining to us you dont ever steal off your own people and if your going out on the thieve get up the West End instead ?...then you had Murkoffs up the top that was my first ever encounter with Lemon Ice......hard times but proud times that left fond memories.

The Royal Oak that was it I new you would know big old fashioned East End Pub, Raffy market as you say holds a lot of memories for myself, me and my Grandparents it was a bus ride so it was like a day out I do remember the Parrot 100% me Grandad used to try and feed it and speak to it Ollies I can see it now we’re talking 45 plus years ago.

I do remember the Sarsaparilla stall amongst a load of others it was a great place I remember when I was at Barking in the job I do now I used to drive by and shake my head as to how it’s changed so much.

My brother used to catch Eels in the Thames over Mcdougal Park on the Isle of Dogs then my Nan would make them and put them in a washing up bowl and take them down the George on the island on a Saturday night.

As for you Northern lads Gravy I don’t know we’re trying to bring you up to scratch with the finer cuisine that the East End has to offer ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, FLATTOP said:

The Royal Oak that was it I new you would know big old fashioned East End Pub, Raffy market as you say holds a lot of memories for myself, me and my Grandparents it was a bus ride so it was like a day out I do remember the Parrot 100% me Grandad used to try and feed it and speak to it Ollies I can see it now we’re talking 45 plus years ago.

I do remember the Sarsaparilla stall amongst a load of others it was a great place I remember when I was at Barking in the job I do now I used to drive by and shake my head as to how it’s changed so much.

My brother used to catch Eels in the Thames over Mcdougal Park on the Isle of Dogs then my Nan would make them and put them in a washing up bowl and take them down the George on the island on a Saturday night.

As for you Northern lads Gravy I don’t know we’re trying to bring you up to scratch with the finer cuisine that the East End has to offer ?

Its funny looking back the things we used to do to compensate for being poor.....Eels for nutrition that gave you the shits because they were out of an open sewer...and then undiluted Sarsaparilla with heaps of sugar mixed in to get you over the diaorreah caused by the Eels ? ....i look back and think it was all just a scam to get what little money we did have i mean bananas must of been available back then im only talking about the 70,s for f**k sake !

The irony is The Royal Oak is now an estate agents and Raffy Market is now luxury flats....i bought a flat over Canary Wharf a few years back my mates say im the only idiot stupid enough to live there twice ?

• Haha 2

My cousin sends the majority of eels he catches to London, they are smoked in an old smoke house down here, couple of hundred years old, and they're bloody lovely...

He nets salmon traditionally for the short season, them it is eel traps, bass and mullet... mainly smoked...

We used to catch loads as kids on liver or worm, the river was right behind my house, mum used to cut them in rings and fry them in butter....prefer them smoked to be honest....

Edited by NEWKID
  • Like 1
42 minutes ago, gnasher16 said:

Its funny looking back the things we used to do to compensate for being poor.....Eels for nutrition that gave you the shits because they were out of an open sewer...and then undiluted Sarsaparilla with heaps of sugar mixed in to get you over the diaorreah caused by the Eels ? ....i look back and think it was all just a scam to get what little money we did have i mean bananas must of been available back then im only talking about the 70,s for f**k sake !

The irony is The Royal Oak is now an estate agents and Raffy Market is now luxury flats....i bought a flat over Canary Wharf a few years back my mates say im the only idiot stupid enough to live there twice ?

I lived in several places on the Island when I moved out and made my own way I was 15th floor Midship point and then the good old council thought they were doing me a favour by moving me to the 4th floor at Topmast Point real tough back then there all done up and posh now lol I very rarely go back these days.

Do you remember the Toffee apple man god he had some lungs on him ?

• Like 1
On 22/06/2019 at 13:41, gnasher16 said:

The Royal Oak was the boxing gym it was on the Barking Rd though not on Rathbone Stgenuinely the pie shop you are thinking of was Ollies....dont know if you remember he used to have a parrot in the shop that would be constantly saying " gizza bit " ?....his daughter used to look gorgeous stood there with all blood down her nice white apron cutting the heads off the eels there was something quite sexy about it !.....the Raffy brings back a lot of childhood memories do you remember the Sarsaparilla stall ?....we used to call if the Raffy cough mixture....me and my brother used to nick bottles and keep them under our beds to sell at school i remember the ol man caught us and marched us down to old man Mr Moody to give them back,i remember them both explaining to us you dont ever steal off your own people and if your going out on the thieve get up the West End instead ?...then you had Murkoffs up the top that was my first ever encounter with Lemon Ice......hard times but proud times that left fond memories.

That genuinely made fecking laugh, how the feck does a bird look sexy dripping in blood cutting the head off eels, but hey each to their own eh, I guess you had to be there to see it. 

7 minutes ago, delswal said:

That genuinely made fecking laugh, how the feck does a bird look sexy dripping in blood cutting the head off eels, but hey each to their own eh, I guess you had to be there to see it. 

I must of only been 12 or 13 i might of even knocked one out on the strength of that but yes you would probably need to of seen her to complete the picture ?

Edited by gnasher16
  • Haha 2
3 hours ago, FLATTOP said:

I lived in several places on the Island when I moved out and made my own way I was 15th floor Midship point and then the good old council thought they were doing me a favour by moving me to the 4th floor at Topmast Point real tough back then there all done up and posh now lol I very rarely go back these days.

Do you remember the Toffee apple man god he had some lungs on him ?

The geezer on the bike you mean ?.....there used to be another one doing the knife sharpening if you remember they would cycle from Tower Bridge to Custom House the old boy doing the knives had the totters yard in Star Lane that the boxing trainer Jimmy Tibbs took over... i remember he took me in Pollocks the tailors as a teenager to get fitted with my first suit and we collected it on the day i was going to court,so kept it on and like a little tramp went next door in Forinos for a Lemon Ice and dropped it down my new suit ?....funny days do you remember The Bridge House where we would all go and pretend to like music ?

Dont know if your interested mate but this is a good little book about those days...thats Jimmys boy on the front he now trains Dillian Whyte....its a funny read that might bring back some memories.

f**k me that came out a bit big !

IMG_0868.jpg

Edited by gnasher16
  • Like 1