mackem

Normandy Landings 75 years ago today.

Watching the D-Day anniversary footage on TV,very humbling,the old guys are a different type of generation.self-deprecating and humble R.I.P their comrades.Has anyone on here done a Battlefield tour in france,any reccomendations as to companies that organise them?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

hats off to them    ,, and a thank you  brave men :victory:

• Like 2

My Sisters Dad was killed on D day , that is Her on the left hand side me and Mam are on the right , the picture was taken in the early 50s  on board the Golden Galleon at  Great Yarmouth, Mam never once mentioned him and it was not until she died that her sister let something slip when she said that Janices hair was the same has her Dads .

IMG_20190305_0011.jpg

• Like 5

Always amazed how the country pulled together and mobilized during ww11 , everything from the steel works, coal to keep the country running , munitions factorys ect , all those who gave there life fighting , certainly a humbling time and I have the deepest respect to all those involved 

• Like 6

They have my eternal gratitude and thanks.

:thumbs:

• Like 4

Just for a brief moment imagine what it must have been like they truly were the bravest of the brave and must be remembered for the rest of eternity.

• Like 8

Went to Ypres and the Menin Gate ceremony which is held every day, very moving

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 1

watched it this morning hats off to them

Went on battlefield tours when i was a recruit in army, imagine 40 odd lads all bouncing an rearing to go as just about to finish there training. All way there it was all fun an games as usual, the coach trip was mental 😂 but very humbling when you get there, even 60 years later, it deffo made ye feel a presence an not in a bad way. I done some the old Scottish battlefields when younger a couple felt quite morbid, but have to say the French ones felt diff, been saying for a while but gonna take the kids, really need to get round to it

Edited by W. Katchum
  • Like 1