Opinions on the Norfolk lurcher?

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

the thread was about mick duglas ......think hes been dead a good few years now ...he bred dogs back in the 80's folk are getting confused with jeff burrel ...who breeds Norfolk ..and tumblers...

you know though ...I read them tales of the old gamkeepers books....and a few other ones older......and they all complained about how tuff it was etc.....but then when you looked at what they got.....

Well that's fuckun gratitude for you isn't it, Jeff's spent the last 800 years of his life refining this line, and you can't come up with less than one pound note per year for a pup be fukced 

Posted Images

Anyway had a little chat to JB today and he told me mick douglas got his first lurcher of him and also stuff from ivor lee. During the course of time mick did a fair bit of outcrossing and lost the good feet within his dogs and confimation and his dogs came to a end.

Edited by darbo
  • Like 1
15 hours ago, darbo said:

I read a article fact or fiction by ginger saying Luke was a Burrydown saluki bred by Mrs Hope-Walters. He was offered the dog by the Stanleys for 2 grand he gave a saluki cross and paid the rest in money for the saluki Luke?

a chap called sam Collins bought a first cross off me in the eighty's, and said ginger got that dog from them, don't know about the money or the breeding.

what book is that from bill.....

he was in the thick of it living there.....not far from thetford where they prossesed all the rabbit skins in to felt I think it was for hat making.....read the figures once but have forgotten the exact amount but it ran in to the millions of rabbits prosseed each year....

elveden eastate was just down the road and they had a big team of warreners ....such was the population of rabbits around the breaklands

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, TOMO said:

what book is that from bill.....

he was in the thick of it living there.....not far from thetford where they prossesed all the rabbit skins in to felt I think it was for hat making.....read the figures once but have forgotten the exact amount but it ran in to the millions of rabbits prosseed each year....

elveden eastate was just down the road and they had a big team of warreners ....such was the population of rabbits around the breaklands

an old mate of mine who died last year in his eightys was head forester at elvedon for many years.

4 minutes ago, two crows said:

an old mate of mine who died last year in his eightys was head forester at elvedon for many years.

been caught on there myself a few years back....:D.....always wanted to to poach all the big name estates in my youth.....never got round to doing them all...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
13 minutes ago, two crows said:

they don't look a very type'y bunch, the reason the men look so miserable is because it was a shit job for shit money like most countryside jobs at the time.

you know though ...I read them tales of the old gamkeepers books....and a few other ones older......and they all complained about how tuff it was etc.....but then when you looked at what they got.....a house clothing allowance ...dog food...a few ton of coal a year...tips from the guns ....some of them especialy the head keepers often got a man and a poney and trap to take them round the estate on there rounds....one I read about even had a gardener tending to his vedge plot........oh and not to mention all the free game to eat

then you got the poor b*****d working down the pit when they were all private.....20-30 years of that if they were lucky....then dying of lung diseases if a cave in didn't get them first..

think I know wich I prefer

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1