Sign in to follow this  
waltjnr

Prostrate

I was checked about a year ago, young female doctor, finger up the bum. I blanked the pain out by telling myself people pay good money for this.

Anyone else nearly pee up the wall when they were getting examined (fingered) ?.

• Haha 2

I remember me and my pal sitting with the doctor as he was telling him it was prostate cancer we nearly fell off our chairs it was a horrible moment.....id made him go private so they did actually take the time to explain everything and it quickly became clear that if your going to get cancer then thats not a bad place to get it.The docs basic philosophy was the long term plan is that you end up dying of something else !.....apparently something like 80% of men who die over the age of eighty die with prostate cancer even if they dont know they have it......70% of men over 70....60% of men over 60 etc.....he was telling us that there is controversy within the medical world that men with lower grade prostate cancer should not even be told they have it as they are unlikely to actually ever die from it so the unnecessary stress/upset just isnt worth it.

Edited by gnasher16
  • Like 5

Reading this thread and being over 50 it's starting to get unnerving. With so many regular posters on here having some experience with the disease and the fact one of my uncles was diagnosed with prostrate cancer in the last few week's. 

I can honestly say that I've only had to visit the doctors probably less than 10 times in my life for me personally and it would be just my bad luck to contract something like this. 

So is it the consensus on here to go for the blood test or the full internal jobby and how often, once a year? 

I'm not feeling any symptoms and everything seems 'normal' down there but I find myself pissing more often and tend not to drink coffee anymore near bedtime as I have to get up and go for a piss in the early hours whereas in the past it could wait till the morning. 

Got to honestly say that if this thread had not been posted, I would never of even contemplated talking about P/C let alone going for a test 👍

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, liP said:

Reading this thread and being over 50 it's starting to get unnerving. With so many regular posters on here having some experience with the disease and the fact one of my uncles was diagnosed with prostrate cancer in the last few week's. 

I can honestly say that I've only had to visit the doctors probably less than 10 times in my life for me personally and it would be just my bad luck to contract something like this. 

So is it the consensus on here to go for the blood test or the full internal jobby and how often, once a year? 

I'm not feeling any symptoms and everything seems 'normal' down there but I find myself pissing more often and tend not to drink coffee anymore near bedtime as I have to get up and go for a piss in the early hours whereas in the past it could wait till the morning. 

Got to honestly say that if this thread had not been posted, I would never of even contemplated talking about P/C let alone going for a test 👍

like you lip,up until this diagnosis I never had been in  hospital ,hardly been to a doctor, or had aday of with sickness virtually all of my life,only thing that alerted me to get checked was starting to feel tired and drained of energy,getting a very strong urge to pass water frequently and a slow stream when urinating, as I am a bit over sixty just put it dow to age, life style, long hours working and hiking with the dogs regular, got to make a few changes but will carry on much the same and forget about it, surgeon told me if your father  had suffered with p/c, strong chance its hereditary,get it checked out mate.

• Like 2

Been there myself recently and all lads. Felt like a tightness down there, like I was constantly holding onto a piss kind of thing and couldn't relax it properly. Turns out it was prostatitis after an examination, fortnights worth of pills and she was good to go again. Feared the worst because I have a family history of prostate cancer. Its not always the worst case scenario lads, but get it checked out none the less.. 👍

As with most cancers it's if it's left to its own devices and goes secondary is where the problems start.

Just get checked if not sure and give it the fight of its life if the worst comes to the worst.

Cheers guys, off to quacks this week, some good advice and wise words, once again thanks! 👍 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, liP said:

If one person (you) decides to get checked out because of this thread, then I would call the thread a success ;)

• Like 11

I'm very good at sticking my head in the sand and ignoring a problem hoping it will go away, in this case I know that is not wise, what ever it is, caught early hopefully it can be treated and beaten. 

Really surprised by the amount of good advice, and people speaking from experience, shows the quality of this forum, I know it has its moments,but its definitely got far more good moments than bad! 

Will go register at a Dr's and get an appointment, will update later in the week! Wanted a day off to go fishing not bloody docs and finger up bum! 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

My father had prostate cancer in his early 70s and he’s still kicking about at 83. Most men with prostate cancer die with it and not of it. This thread has just reminded me that it’s been a couple of years since I’ve been tested so I’ll have to get it sorted. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, liP said:

Don't bother with the doctors ,ignore any symptoms ,you'll be ok ...honest 

• Haha 3

28 minutes ago, dogmandont said:

My father had prostate cancer in his early 70s and he’s still kicking about at 83. Most men with prostate cancer die with it and not of it. This thread has just reminded me that it’s been a couple of years since I’ve been tested so I’ll have to get it sorted. 

My grandad had it as well mate. Quite advanced when he got it operated on, but he recovered. Died at 77 of a heart attack while pottering about in his garden in the end. 

8 minutes ago, Malt said:

My grandad had it as well mate. Quite advanced when he got it operated on, but he recovered. Died at 77 of a heart attack while pottering about in his garden in the end. 

It’s crazy how common it is. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, dogmandont said:

It’s crazy how common it is. 

Across the UK

• Prostate cancer is the most common cancer in men.
  • Over 47,000 men are diagnosed with prostate cancer every year – that's 129 men every day.
  • Every 45 minutes one man dies from prostate cancer – that's more than 11,000 men every year.
  • 1 in 8 men will get prostate cancer in their lifetime.
  • Around 400,000 men are living with and after prostate cancer.
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, Astanley said:

Don't bother with the doctors ,ignore any symptoms ,you'll be ok ...honest 

Cheers buddy 👍

Ps 

is that right, they have started building a bottling plant next to Annfield? 😜

• Haha 1