Who do you admire?

19 minutes ago, Rabbit Hunter said:

I’m not pulling your mate down at all, as we’ve all got to jump a fence now and then. BUT if he’s constantly poached, looking over his shoulder and getting away quick as possible then IMO he’s never really enjoyed himself, never really tested the dogs and won’t know what he’s got as he never seen other people’s dogs to use as a barometer against his own. When I might have poached in my youth, it’s a case of get the dog in, get a mark ASAP, and get the dog out and away. On permission, it’s drop the dog in, have a cuppa and whatever, check for a mark etc etc, give the dog time and IMO makes for a better terrier.

Find it hard to believe anyone can put a high level of effort in 30/40 years for no money and not have enjoyed it lol and he doesn't need to have seen other terrier work to compare too ,he,s digging his own dogs week ,  in week out , and as for giving the dog time he isn't digging blacks he,s digging a much  much slower maturing terrier lol and has had some very good dogs as I said he,s not big headed but when you can get a conversation out of him it's easy to understand the passion he has for the terrier game and I believe give credit where it's due not try and put down someone I've never met on here who doesn't even know someone he dug with a handful of times is writing about him on here all this bitchin  in the dog game , can see why he goes alone lol happy hunting 

• Like 2

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I admire my old dad . He never had a famous line of terriers never wrote a book never grassed nobody never tolerated thieves . Although he did have a line of terriers. He always had a dog that wa

Country folks farmers and landowners that let lads work their dogs in peace and understand us because as the years go by they are becoming less and less. 

At the end of the day we're all just polishing turds, no one recreated the wheel,  if it wasn't in them, you couldn't fetch it out.  I admire all of the named terrier men, past and present,  most

Posted Images

Work sheep all week and believe me only for I love the game it is a hard/physical things to stay at on top of a physical job. Some ground can be a night mare and each time you meet a root when shoveling it can drain you so much you feel like Keeling over but you do get there eventually. It's always handy to have someone to give you a hand but it's not always the case. It's tuff going but I wouldn't change it .

3 minutes ago, singles said:

Find it hard to believe anyone can put a high level of effort in 30/40 years for no money and not have enjoyed it lol and he doesn't need to have seen other terrier work to compare too ,he,s digging his own dogs week ,  in week out , and as for giving the dog time he isn't digging blacks he,s digging a much  much slower maturing terrier lol and has had some very good dogs as I said he,s not big headed but when you can get a conversation out of him it's easy to understand the passion he has for the terrier game and I believe give credit where it's due not try and put down someone I've never met on here who doesn't even know someone he dug with a handful of times is writing about him on here all this bitchin  in the dog game , can see why he goes alone lol happy hunting 

Fair play he sounds keen and I’m not doubting his passion at all. But what I’m trying to say is do you not think he’d have enjoyed himself a lot more over the years had it been on permission and he could enjoy the dogs working than worrying about someone turning up? 

PS don’t get so heated, these forums are for discussion, that’s all✌?

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
1 minute ago, Rabbit Hunter said:

Fair play he sounds keen and I’m not doubting his passion at all. But what I’m trying to say is do you not think he’d have enjoyed himself a lot more over the years had it been on permission and he could enjoy the dogs working than worrying about someone turning up? 

I think your right he would have enjoyed it more with permission but he obviously couldn’t get any, if I hadn’t been lucky enough to get some permission I would still have gone on land without permission but I’ve not the balls to go digging without permission lol.

• Haha 1

Where I live permission ain’t so easy to come across either mate, don’t get me wrong, we’ve hadto do some sneaking about over the years, but as the time goes by and you meet more people the land seems to come with it if you know what I mean?

Edited by Rabbit Hunter
Shitty predictive text
  • Like 2
1 minute ago, Str said:

I think your right he would have enjoyed it more with permission but he obviously couldn’t get any, if I hadn’t been lucky enough to get some permission I would still have gone on land without permission but I’ve not the balls to go digging without permission lol.

It’s a nice feeling when the law turns up and your on permission not so nice when they turn up and you don’t. I’ve had both more than once over the years and I know which I prefer. 

20 minutes ago, Rabbit Hunter said:

Not heated ,it's no skin off my nose either way , the thread said who do you admire , the old chap I know is passionate about t terriers committed to the cause and in it for the right reasons , very time served , respectful of quarry and the dogs and future sport ,no bullshit  with drive to spare  and fair play to him I say and any others like him 

• Like 3
4 minutes ago, singles said:

Not heated ,it's no skin off my nose either way , the thread said who do you admire , the old chap I know is passionate about t terriers committed to the cause and in it for the right reasons , very time served , respectful of quarry and the dogs and future sport ,no bullshit  with drive to spare  and fair play to him I say and any others like him 

That’s all you had to say. Lol. But look at the discussion we would of missed. Lol. The ole fella seems like the genuine article so fair play to him. 

• Like 1
On 22/02/2019 at 08:01, Str said:

I’ve noticed that whoever’s name in the terrier world is mentioned on here it’s not long until folks start slagging them ,be it they have done no work, the dogs they have are stolen there books are are shite etc,so who is up there who do you rate? Ps you can’t nominate yourself.

I very much doubt that the folk that inspired me would be known to anybody on here,the main reason i was inspired to be inspired was my friendship with a mush that kept his kennel full of terriers that served more recognised Dales terrierfolk,they used him to keep a terrier or three that they would not wish to be known in the mainstream.Old george Appleton is unbeknown to the vast majority on here,The time he gassed himself on a sett,was involved in the last otter hunt on the Aire,climbed a tree to wreck a carrion crow nest,at 65 and had to be rescued by the fire brigade,lent my Beddy bitch and sold it,built terrier pens and kept ferrets in them,burnt the side of marley to embers to put a rabbit in the bag and sang his hunting tales in his dulcit tones at the bottom of the twines.I remember the time the main terrierman around Malham,went to pick up his pups,around the middle 80,s,George sent him into his quagmire of kennels and Mick pulled out 4 pups when george stated their where 2, 2 where docked and the other two missed,a year later Mick had his best season with a sapling Fell with a full tail,he spent his early years in the dales,knew them all and could dig to a yip,never owned a box and collar or owned a terrier that needed one.Died old and died incognito.

• Like 2

I admire my son ,prob starting to edge me on the digging front on the shovel, puts up with my moaning , ( only just think hes ready to tell me to bolt) during the week if any depth i do hope he finishes early , downside we always argue now as now he has he has summit to say on whats happening all the time and i dont agree ha.

if he can get a few decades out the  game same as me i will be happy and he will do better 

• Like 5
7 hours ago, starting out said:

I admire my son ,prob starting to edge me on the digging front on the shovel, puts up with my moaning , ( only just think hes ready to tell me to bolt) during the week if any depth i do hope he finishes early , downside we always argue now as now he has he has summit to say on whats happening all the time and i dont agree ha.

if he can get a few decades out the  game same as me i will be happy and he will do better 

Fair play SO.out of likes ?

i wouldn't have a problem paying for a well bred pup.....my lurcher pup cost me 200 ,friend of a friend,and the lad has offered me back the money because I've proven to him,it's out everyday learning it's trade and  I'm no knob ed.......I declined, but if I need another it would be gifted?I've bought in dogs in the past and gave them away to tidy lads who been stuck,also been gifted a fair few....

• Like 2

To be honest id rather buy my dogs in then be gifted as when you take one as a gift you sort of cant make your own decisions on it without involving the feller who gave it to ya. Also found with certain people theres a few more excuses with gifted dogs.

• Like 1