12 minutes ago, stealthy1 said:

Lime Sticks, I used to help putting them out for Bullfinches in orchards as a kid, used to trap every species of bird, most went for sale at the local markets.

Shopping baskets propped up on a stick with fishing line attached was another childhood method to catch birds we would sit for hours as the birds got more confident feeding under the basket then tug the stick and trap a load, these kids today don’t no what there missing ?????

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Two goldies fighting over the teazle...lol 

Few on my feeders back in the summer.On a busy day they'll empty them.Photos are a bit shit but taken on my phone from indoors.

Golldie on the thistle 

Posted Images

18 minutes ago, Greyman said:

Shopping baskets propped up on a stick with fishing line attached was another childhood method to catch birds we would sit for hours as the birds got more confident feeding under the basket then tug the stick and trap a load, these kids today don’t no what there missing ?????

Yep done same thing with bakers baskets had to tape up the holes where the handles were, flocks of starlings for ferret food, clever feckers we were as kids ?

Edited by Jackknife
  • Like 1

Lots of goldies at the minute , nothing unusual to see fifteen plus on and under the feeders , lots of long tailed , coal , great and blue tits , nut hatches and greater spotted woodpeckers.. hardly seen any chaffinches or green finches this year seems like they are struggling at the moment .. 

A2D48510-39CC-4253-9F1A-C72E2ECE77C4.jpeg.e25f87c131471b867eb62811ba4581bf.jpegDCB28649-4F42-48A7-82F3-F369D8163F57.jpeg.c167702c8c9b9cb5f45393308a365c24.jpeg1F9DB9EB-4C9F-44A4-818A-4641B2D32F27.jpeg.46e5ca38fac1ed8d1ea4b894cd21c530.jpeg

these from earlier , top pic is a great tit with a white tail , yellowhammer and the goldies . Not very good pictures but I took them with the iPad through my binoculars...

• Like 10
10 minutes ago, sussex said:

Lots of goldies at the minute , nothing unusual to see fifteen plus on and under the feeders , lots of long tailed , coal , great and blue tits , nut hatches and greater spotted woodpeckers.. hardly seen any chaffinches or green finches this year seems like they are struggling at the moment .. 

A2D48510-39CC-4253-9F1A-C72E2ECE77C4.jpeg.e25f87c131471b867eb62811ba4581bf.jpegDCB28649-4F42-48A7-82F3-F369D8163F57.jpeg.c167702c8c9b9cb5f45393308a365c24.jpeg1F9DB9EB-4C9F-44A4-818A-4641B2D32F27.jpeg.46e5ca38fac1ed8d1ea4b894cd21c530.jpeg

these from earlier , top pic is a great tit with a white tail , yellowhammer and the goldies . Not very good pictures but I took them with the iPad through my binoculars...

What are the goldies feeding on under the feeders?

Just now, Bundy89 said:

They supposedly like Niger seed.

They do Its like curry to a pisshead.I have a couple of feeders with just Niger as its only the goldies that seem to go mad for it.I was just wondering if there was anything else in particular yo used that they were going mad for.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, downsouth said:

They do Its like curry to a pisshead.I have a couple of feeders with just Niger as its only the goldies that seem to go mad for it.I was just wondering if there was anything else in particular yo used that they were going mad for.

Sunflower hearts are a favourite for goldfinches aswell, wood pigeon filled it's boots on mine fecker was clinging onto the feeder like a desperado

• Like 1

Sounds like im covering all bases as far as getting the goldies in then as i have 3 large feeders with just sunflower hearts and a couple of Niger feeders.B and M bargains do a good range of wild bird seeds and fat balls atm with really good prices.

23 hours ago, lurcherman 887 said:

Anyone have any about them me old mans looking for one. Wrong time of the year i know.. 

What's he want a goldfinch for and where do you get one from. I thought that keeping birds in bird cages went out with the arc. My dad used to keep buddgies. I haven't seen anyone have a bird in a cage for donkeys years.  When I was a kid most cafes used to have  something  like a minor bird that had been taught to swear or say things like " who's a pretty boy then" ? or " shut that door" ect.

1 hour ago, Meece said:

What's he want a goldfinch for and where do you get one from. I thought that keeping birds in bird cages went out with the arc. My dad used to keep buddgies. I haven't seen anyone have a bird in a cage for donkeys years.  When I was a kid most cafes used to have  something  like a minor bird that had been taught to swear or say things like " who's a pretty boy then" ? or " shut that door" ect.

I know bundles of people who still keep finches mate tryna get them to sell ones a different story ??

• Like 2