• 3 weeks later...

C e k, can I just ask, what exactly do you mean by 'didn't quite make the grade'? I've seen many deer/greys that took EVERYTHING, and I mean everything, single handed, never mind doubled up. And one of these 1st x deer/greys was definitely the best single handed fox dogs I've ever seen, by a long way. As  well as taking rabbit, hare and deer, day and night

Not wishing to argue ?

Edited by shaaark

I'm not slateing the cross my first ever dog was a grey deerhound x collie mix and was superb. just  in my eyes didn't cut it for me compared to my 3/4 grey 1/4 collie at the time.i found him to big for the land I worked really he was about 29-30inch didn't have the turning speed of my collie cross and would lose if quarry put a lot of turns in.he could jump well just could of done with a extra gear.was very temperamental couldn't raise your voice to him(I've never been 1 for hitting a dog don't think there's a need for it)if you did he'd stay 6ft away from you till he stopped sulking I've walked a good few miles home like this with him.he wouldn't have made it as a teeth dog I don't think he ever put his all in to his runs as a few times on speed turns he'd take a tumble I would never have sold him on as I don't do that just landed lucky for both of us that he ended up going to a good pet home where he excelled at that no point bullshitting about his capabilities but heard same off a few people about dogs off dave

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Councilestatekid said:

I'm not slateing the cross my first ever dog was a grey deerhound x collie mix and was superb. just  in my eyes didn't cut it for me compared to my 3/4 grey 1/4 collie at the time.i found him to big for the land I worked really he was about 29-30inch didn't have the turning speed of my collie cross and would lose if quarry put a lot of turns in.he could jump well just could of done with a extra gear.was very temperamental couldn't raise your voice to him(I've never been 1 for hitting a dog don't think there's a need for it)if you did he'd stay 6ft away from you till he stopped sulking I've walked a good few miles home like this with him.he wouldn't have made it as a teeth dog I don't think he ever put his all in to his runs as a few times on speed turns he'd take a tumble I would never have sold him on as I don't do that just landed lucky for both of us that he ended up going to a good pet home where he excelled at that no point bullshitting about his capabilities but heard same off a few people about dogs off dave

That's fair enough, and an honest appraisal. 

But you say it was a deer/grey x collie/grey, not a deer/grey. Have I got that right? ?.

And by the way, the dog I was talking about earlier, was born 1989, from working deerhound sire, so would obviously be dufferent to present day dogs similarly bred

Edited by shaaark
20 minutes ago, Councilestatekid said:

No pal the 1st ever lurcher I owned was a grey deerhound collie mix as a kid.the dog in pic was 1st cross off dave ive seen a doxhope deer grey smash teeth pal so not saying there incapable just that mine wasnt.

Ah right ?

11 hours ago, shaaark said:

That's fair enough, and an honest appraisal. 

But you say it was a deer/grey x collie/grey, not a deer/grey. Have I got that right? ?.

And by the way, the dog I was talking about earlier, was born 1989, from working deerhound sire, so would obviously be dufferent to present day dogs similarly bred

11 hours ago, Councilestatekid said:

it strange that regards  height of these types, because i meet a bloke who got 4 deerhoundx greys types  he dont work dogs there just pets, there from the rescue center. just as you say big tall elegant  dog easy 30ins, very gentle  dogs, now onr thing ive noticed about them compared  to Buck who 28 in , so he not small , he is far more agile than there tall dogs, he can turn far more quicker than them when they  have run about and play,  there not lot in it top end either , its prob  because all herding type dogs are agile/ fast  collies,kelpies , Alsatians , Buck and Bryn are very agile dogs both  pick rabbits easy .

They  dident   call the big dog SATIN  for nothing seen him killing everything  5 hares a fox 2 roe all in the one day ??get the [BANNED TEXT]  mix your onto a winner i try not to talk to Joe public youse want the Nobel peace prize fr that in England ?

• Like 1

A lad in next village as two deerhound x grey and they ticking all the boxs for owner .the dogs stands about 30tts and bitch about 25 tts .bitch came from Dave plates and she's a good juckel with good temperament and plenty drive ,the dog not so good around other dogs and people he don't no and took bigger stuff easy in his day .i like the x but not my kind of juck .but world b sad place if we all liked the same .

• Like 1
1 hour ago, bird said:

it strange that regards  height of these types, because i meet a bloke who got 4 deerhoundx greys types  he dont work dogs there just pets, there from the rescue center. just as you say big tall elegant  dog easy 30ins, very gentle  dogs, now onr thing ive noticed about them compared  to Buck who 28 in , so he not small , he is far more agile than there tall dogs, he can turn far more quicker than them when they  have run about and play,  there not lot in it top end either , its prob  because all herding type dogs are agile/ fast  collies,kelpies , Alsatians , Buck and Bryn are very agile dogs both  pick rabbits easy .

Yea at the same time my mate had a 29inch dog not 100% on what but now had grey bull in there and was quicker I found mine a clumsy runner if that makes sense.but like I say the grey deerhound dog I had around 87 was a total different animal but he would have been around 27.I'd have deerhound in the mix but don't think I'd have another 1st cross ideal size for me is around 25-26 and 27 being very top end really.maybe we just didn't click but like I say he made a excellent pet suppose not every dog makes the grade you want I'm sure in someone else's eyes he would have made the grade. 

I had 2 good deerhoundx greyhounds from dave over the years,both were worked hard on all sorts of quarry on all sorts of terrain all over the place,they suited me and my type of hunting,to me they are one of the old style traditional lurchers,allright I know there not every ones type of lurcher these days, but evey body  doesn't want to own bullxs and saluki hybrids, seen in this months edrd , that dave sleight has one of daves 12th generation English deerhounds at stud, looks a good solid and sound animal to me, like it or not dave plats has done a lot of hardwork and planning into his deerhound project over the years,and long may he continue,and if you think his dogs are shite, simple don't buy one, and enjoy whatever cross suits you and your needs.

• Like 3