I've not slated his dogs I find dave platts a nice fella to be honest just saying my pup I had off him didn't make the grade I wanted.but it's like the hancock dogs I had made the grade where you speak to other lads and they'd slag them off.im not slagging dave or his dogs off and like i say id have deerhound in the mix just maybe not a 1st cross again 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, grompz said:

I had 2 good deerhoundx greyhounds from dave over the years,both were worked hard on all sorts of quarry on all sorts of terrain all over the place,they suited me and my type of hunting,to me they are one of the old style traditional lurchers,allright I know there not every ones type of lurcher these days, but evey body  doesn't want to own bullxs and saluki hybrids, seen in this months edrd , that dave sleight has one of daves 12th generation English deerhounds at stud, looks a good solid and sound animal to me, like it or not dave plats has done a lot of hardwork and planning into his deerhound project over the years,and long may he continue,and if you think his dogs are shite, simple don't buy one, and enjoy whatever cross suits you and your needs.

any pics of the 2 you had grompz 

I can remember dave giving me a video of him and Joe and it had a bit of his dogs coursing on it and they didn't have much success and found mine ran similar to the style of the dogs on the video.dont get me wrong he definitely caught and had some good courses but my other dogs had alot more success I'm sure at the time I could have passed him on and someone would have had a dog to there standards but if he wasn't he'd have been passed around and that isn't for me.if I have a dog its got a home for life regardless(unless it did something drastic like bit my kids or something).he's the only dog I've parted ways with before the end.

• Like 3

sorry king got no photos of dogs, and even if I did  I would be clueless on how to put them up,afraid im the old school and just about moving with the times, really never felt the need for taking pictures of my dogs or bragging them up, just let them do the talking for me and get on with the job they were bred for. atb

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, grompz said:

sorry king got no photos of dogs, and even if I did  I would be clueless on how to put them up,afraid im the old school and just about moving with the times, really never felt the need for taking pictures of my dogs or bragging them up, just let them do the talking for me and get on with the job they were bred for. atb

no problem grompz ?

21 hours ago, Councilestatekid said:

I'm not slateing the cross my first ever dog was a grey deerhound x collie mix and was superb. just  in my eyes didn't cut it for me compared to my 3/4 grey 1/4 collie at the time.i found him to big for the land I worked really he was about 29-30inch didn't have the turning speed of my collie cross and would lose if quarry put a lot of turns in.he could jump well just could of done with a extra gear.was very temperamental couldn't raise your voice to him(I've never been 1 for hitting a dog don't think there's a need for it)if you did he'd stay 6ft away from you till he stopped sulking I've walked a good few miles home like this with him.he wouldn't have made it as a teeth dog I don't think he ever put his all in to his runs as a few times on speed turns he'd take a tumble I would never have sold him on as I don't do that just landed lucky for both of us that he ended up going to a good pet home where he excelled at that no point bullshitting about his capabilities but heard same off a few people about dogs off dave

The facts are that you are taking a massive chance on a Deerhoundy by sourcing it from a breeding/commercial kennel.You will pay your dollar and take yer chance and the majority of times waste hard earnt brass.Ive seen a few bred from his kennel,ive heard tales of a few more bred from his kennel,at times from lads i know as honest in the game,Id not own a thing he breeds and thats from somebody that see,s more value in a Deerhoundy than most,the percentages don,t add up and its hard enough to source a decent Deerhoundy without throwing a dice and hoping to hit an high number.Decent Deerhoundy,s are as rare as hens teeth,yet there are many advertised,its a case of buyer beware and if you don,t do your homework then you deserve to purchase a turd.The best Deerhoundy lurchers are many generations lurcher to lurcher bred,a dash of Border is a must to me as it balances the breed to an acceptable level.Source a good un and put some unforgiving land and quarry in front of it and you will be hard pressed to be unimpressed,source one of the majority bred now and you will never own another.

Morton I've probably worked most of the land you have with my dogs I worked them hard we where out at least 5 nights a week during day time and digging aswel when I had him like I say he didn't make my grade and still dont think I wasted my brass or would put anybody off buying his dogs who they'd suit i just don't think anyone's dogs would make your grade.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Councilestatekid said:

Morton I've probably worked most of the land you have with my dogs I worked them hard we where out at least 5 nights a week during day time and digging aswel when I had him like I say he didn't make my grade and still dont think I wasted my brass or would put anybody off buying his dogs who they'd suit i just don't think anyone's dogs would make your grade.

Most of the finest lurchers ive seen in the field were not owned by me.I like lurchers,any type any quarry any reason to own and hunt one,even if its not my type or the way i hunt.I admire a useful lurcher and the owner that took the time and effort to make it that way.Ive spent decades wishing i owned other peoples lurchers that impressed me in the field.The best dogs ive ever owned were nearly as good as the lurchers i most admired and never owned.I did manage to get the odd pup out of them though.

• Like 3

Ive seen a few deerhound mix collie types there was a dog local called mike the all rounder I seen him taking salmon of the weir going out car window killing fox roe working woods way nets fr deer digging drawing ECT another called buck great all rounder kill deer every time out take you back to them no need fr these tracker pish collars fox great lamp dog work way gun water ducks range out on moors now both were not the fastest dogs I've seen but they both killed the most on every single outing that alone makes them stick in my mind my old bitch Neil was real good to but not in a patch of these two i seen buck take 7 roe one day never even seen one single chase all in woods he took us back every one the lad sold him.as he was hares daft I'd gave double treble what I heard he sold him for these dogs were lurchers 1/4 of anything is usually enough great memories great dogs my blue dog has done enough he has the brains he uses his loaf something i need he can work things out fr himself me and him.have a great bond is he the best is he fck but he pleases me ?another Jackson blue collie deerhound type ran way my mate fr 20 years way these types we had great times everywhere in Scotland 80 90 s great memories great dogs is his brand new 190 diesel Merc think it was a b plate ? roof box on top 

• Like 2
57 minutes ago, Bearfoot said:

Ive seen a few deerhound mix collie types there was a dog local called mike the all rounder I seen him taking salmon of the weir going out car window killing fox roe working woods way nets fr deer digging drawing ECT another called buck great all rounder kill deer every time out take you back to them no need fr these tracker pish collars fox great lamp dog work way gun water ducks range out on moors now both were not the fastest dogs I've seen but they both killed the most on every single outing that alone makes them stick in my mind my old bitch Neil was real good to but not in a patch of these two i seen buck take 7 roe one day never even seen one single chase all in woods he took us back every one the lad sold him.as he was hares daft I'd gave double treble what I heard he sold him for these dogs were lurchers 1/4 of anything is usually enough great memories great dogs my blue dog has done enough he has the brains he uses his loaf something i need he can work things out fr himself me and him.have a great bond is he the best is he fck but he pleases me ?another Jackson blue collie deerhound type ran way my mate fr 20 years way these types we had great times everywhere in Scotland 80 90 s great memories great dogs is his brand new 190 diesel Merc think it was a b plate ? roof box on top 

The most honest moments our charges can ever give us is memories,the more remarkable and fonder the better.The facts are now that the majority of hunters never,ever will be in the game long enough to have but fleeting memories of a mutt that will ever make old bones.

• Like 1