One mile strip of woodland, where to bait up ?

Well lads, i`ve decided to join in ideas with you lads that put up feeders for Greys.

I`ve never bothered putting feeders out in the past and just try to take any presentations as and when i see them.

This permission has an old disused rail track from long ago running through it, all gone back to woodland, some 40 yds wide plus to approx 1 mile long.

No gun this morning, just camera, so here`s a glimpse of this ground for you.

IMG_1247.JPG.a2aa3e270b7f7dc6adc7526e20bad817.JPG

Kaiser is marking used rabbit runs for me.

IMG_1249.JPG.9b7482db69958addb05f10a6d2ed4fc7.JPG

Here`s the marked run should i want to place a snare ( which i don`t) :nono:

IMG_1254.JPG.1b7586acc84424eba55e38c806966af7.JPG

Well here`s the interior of this long strip.

IMG_1250.JPG.008fe7620f1be6461a73938003bfab50.JPG

IMG_1252.JPG.2ca7c971eca0d62f8124e98c0cba2068.JPG

IMG_1248.JPG.70b0c9c9c24ffe029c15120b8d5a1add.JPG

For those lads that put out feeders - do you lads look for a good spot to shoot, firstly , set your feeder(s) up and go away for a week or so, letting any Squirrels find your boxes ?

atb  Mark.

Thanks lads, my school of thought was to find a good shooting spot and put a good feeder there allowing the Greys to find the food like they will find any other source.

When i am sure they are feeding, then build a natural hide accordingly.

:signthankspin:

22 hours ago, mark williams said:

Thanks lads, my school of thought was to find a good shooting spot and put a good feeder there allowing the Greys to find the food like they will find any other source.

When i am sure they are feeding, then build a natural hide accordingly.

:signthankspin:

Seems a good plan but I'd just move on with the hide at the same time! :thumbs:

Some of your pictures it looks bare or thin my thinking that would be a cold bit and no hold much i would go for a thicker bit where you can get in and out unseen  and you might want to put up a few branches too narrow it down and give them something to run along to the feeders ? 

But if its such a narrow cold wood is there much feeding in it , is there much in it anyway ?.

Just make sure the land is yours first Mark

we have just found out some one has put feeders up on our perm

so we pulled the owner and they have given permission to shoot the grays

but the lack of rabbits around say,s there shooting them as well

you know when you see rabbits in places on the perm but you have let them be

you see them all most every time you go then nothing and i mean nothing

lets just say they will need to build more feeders

its them cheep nails they use the feeders just fall to bits

atvbjimmy:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

• Haha 4
9 hours ago, Jonjon79 said:

I'd take a couple of slow walks through (with a rifle of course) to look for dreys and activity, then decide where to put the feeders.

Out of interest - why won't you put snares on the runs that you found?

When numbers are down i will not take any rabbits as i want to see a shoot controlled, not decimated.

As you know Jon, it does not take long for rabbits to make a comeback, given a little help.

12 hours ago, The one said:

Some of your pictures it looks bare or thin my thinking that would be a cold bit and no hold much i would go for a thicker bit where you can get in and out unseen  and you might want to put up a few branches too narrow it down and give them something to run along to the feeders ? 

But if its such a narrow cold wood is there much feeding in it , is there much in it anyway ?.

My photography is at fault One, there are plenty of very dense areas that are as much as 15 - 20ft below the ground level of the fields.

The occasional woodcock, pheasant, duck are here, plenty of rabbit , squirrel activity. 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, secretagentmole said:

Just check who owns the railway line, it may still be owned by British Rail, network Rail or whatever rail they are this week.....

The railways handed over all the old lines to the farmers whose land it ran threw it was too much bother them being held responsible for the health and safety of them the wise farmers got them refenced first for free 

On 30/12/2018 at 03:33, bigmac 97kt said:

Just make sure the land is yours first Mark

we have just found out some one has put feeders up on our perm

so we pulled the owner and they have given permission to shoot the grays

but the lack of rabbits around say,s there shooting them as well

you know when you see rabbits in places on the perm but you have let them be

you see them all most every time you go then nothing and i mean nothing

lets just say they will need to build more feeders

its them cheep nails they use the feeders just fall to bits

atvbjimmy:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

Yeah, fancy going to all that trouble of making feeders, and then skimping on decent nails ???

• Haha 1