Deer dogs

20 minutes ago, rabbit tourmentor said:

What do you mean black mag I had 2 bitches the first was a bedlingtonx grey with a tad whippet she wouldn’t touch a roe  for 2 years  I was out ferreting one day and she ran a roe buck I looked around and the buck was running her back lol at 3 years old I ran her doubled up on the lamp with a dog on a roebuck after that she loved them by the the time she was six I couldn’t keep her away from them she couldn’t hold them down she ruined the meat she was not  a deer dog that’s why I asked the question what makes  a deer dog this was along time ago mind 

Did you not think to run in and help your bitch? What weight was your bitch?

• Like 1

• Replies 520
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This lad was owned by a very good mate saw him take a good number of fallow 

Saw a good few of this cross on deer,once they have a hold of them there not letting go ,this bitch was the same cross and she put a few away pre ban 

The fastest of lurchers will be straight lined by a fallow at some point in their career if they run enough of them.

Posted Images

1 hour ago, rabbit tourmentor said:

I did but I’m not the fastest lol  she was 23  24 TTS  don’t know what she weighed not much 

Seen plenty of dogs that size holding roe, back in the day. 23 - 24" she would've been nearer 50lb than 40lb. 

Also, 'back in the day' I'm assuming that you WERE alot faster and fitter than you are these days ?

I'm away now to walk the canary ?.

Just reread a couple of your posts, before I take the canary for a walk. So for 3 years, you kept running your bitch at roe deer, knowing it wasn't strong enough to hold one, you were too slow to run in and help her, AND she kept ruining the meat!! ? FAAAAACK OOOOOOOFFF!!! 

Edited by shaaark
  • Haha 6
7 hours ago, forest of dean redneck said:

I read that but think that was for wounded stags when firearms were coming in to the Scottish stalking scene,

saying that a shepherds collie has taking roe down south,on the Wiltshire /Dorset border.

Like been said I think it's down to the individual dog,I know a lad with a bedlington x beardy collie and it taken roe,cwd and munty .iv seen jucks take roe easy but come a cropper on munty .

21 minutes ago, Moocher71 said:

Like been said I think it's down to the individual dog,I know a lad with a bedlington x beardy collie and it taken roe,cwd and munty .iv seen jucks take roe easy but come a cropper on munty .

Them muntys can wiggle and make dog look stupid when it vanishes lol

• Like 1
3 hours ago, shaaark said:

Seen plenty of dogs that size holding roe, back in the day. 23 - 24" she would've been nearer 50lb than 40lb. 

Also, 'back in the day' I'm assuming that you WERE alot faster and fitter than you are these days ?

I'm away now to walk the canary ?.

Just reread a couple of your posts, before I take the canary for a walk. So for 3 years, you kept running your bitch at roe deer, knowing it wasn't strong enough to hold one, you were too slow to run in and help her, AND she kept ruining the meat!! ? FAAAAACK OOOOOOOFFF!!! 

What I’m am saying is she would run them and run them with no strike almost jacking until about 3 then later on  At the age of 6 she couldn’t leave them alone was a nuisance for hunting up and catching them on the arse end I rehomed her to a pet home in the end 

10 minutes ago, THE STIFFMEISTER said:

Let’s not get excited and have it right 

there was no secret squirrel art to pulling deer with running dogs 

its what happened then that mattered 

There is pulling deer and pulling deer , there is also pushing deer 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
9 hours ago, rabbit tourmentor said:

What I’m am saying is she would run them and run them with no strike almost jacking until about 3 then later on  At the age of 6 she couldn’t leave them alone was a nuisance for hunting up and catching them on the arse end I rehomed her to a pet home in the end 

I'd of kept her put something with a bit more weight behind it on to her and kept a pup back she obviously was up for it that a good trait to have in any dog

14 minutes ago, Penda said:

I'd of kept her put something with a bit more weight behind it on to her and kept a pup back she obviously was up for it that a good trait to have in any dog

Coursed by a roe buck in her youth no interest until three doubled up, then arse ending from then on. Why would anyone try to breed deer dogs from that? ?  There is no guarantee breeding from tried and tested parents never mind breeding from a cull. 

Breeding from shit to keep a pup back is half the reason there is so much rubbish about on the merry go round!

Edited by joe ox
  • Like 6