Pure Greyhounds

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've worked a few ex-racing greyhounds. Not in a serious way that some lads do though. Never been into the numbers game or involved in serious pest control. Most of my sport has been hunting small ter

Ran the local flapping tracks. A one for the pot dog and roamed the streets like most dogs in the 70s.

I know nothing of bull crosses, but I did my own thing for years working percentages, and I had better dogs before  and since is all I can say, and in 50 years of coursing dogs I learned a lot, some p

Posted Images

The closest I've had to a pure grey was a 3/16 bull bitch she was super fast and could turn like you wouldn't believe for a good size bitch could catch a fox like they weren't moving but in the end she packed it in, if this greyhound is no good she will be treated how you would a lurcher not just given a pass because shes coursing bred which a lot of people seem to favour when it comes to greys to breed from but always end up taking the easy option and just buying a old ex racing bitch

• Like 1

Suicidal prey drive, high speed and lack of self preservation = big vets bills, dead dog, and problems if you take them down the local park and they mistake someones shitzu for a hare. Plus side great for crossing to produce a lurcher great pets but to work a pure i would not waste my time.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, keepitcovert said:

Suicidal prey drive, high speed and lack of self preservation = big vets bills, dead dog, and problems if you take them down the local park and they mistake someones shitzu for a hare. Plus side great for crossing to produce a lurcher great pets but to work a pure i would not waste my time.

Your right about the small dogs they definatly mistake them for prey. 

When straight of the track anyway. Would be complete different it raised as a lurcher would

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
11 hours ago, Busher100 said:

I have a 7 month Irish coursing bred bit not started work but she's keen, also those wouldn't be the same greyhounds as over here just smooth coated staghounds 

Is your plan to work her and put something over her in the future (start a line)?

Coursing greyhounds and pups from racing backgrounds, what are the main differences? 

13 hours ago, Neobliviscaris1776 said:

Just wondering what success any have had in running pure greyhounds preban?How did they handle it? Pros and cons?

Seen a few clips of them using them over the pond on coyotes and just interested if any of you guys have ran them on stuff over here?

All the best

id say that's the difference they've still got working greyhounds over there and ours are just bred to be fast?

11 minutes ago, Gilbey said:

id say that's the difference they've still got working greyhounds over there and ours are just bred to be fast?

Yeah, there's little to no difference really. Modern greyhound racing in uk started in the 1920's, 1926 I think. And all greyhounds can be traced back to the earlier coursing dogs. Most early litters would have some pups destined for the track, some for coursing, some pups would've been dual purpose, race in summer, course in winter. I think It's only since the 60's - 70's really that we've had greyhounds 'specifically' race bred. 

That's as far as I can remember anyway. Perhaps a certain 'expert' from the fury thread in the general talk section may comment on this, to put me right ? .............. ? ?

Edited by shaaark
  • Haha 1
2 hours ago, Neobliviscaris1776 said:

Is your plan to work her and put something over her in the future (start a line)?

Coursing greyhounds and pups from racing backgrounds, what are the main differences? 

The plan is to work her and if she'll kill foxes and stays sound physically for a few seasons then I will retire her and breed a few litters out of her to a proper stock bull then back to her best son, but if she's got no balls she won't just be given a pass because she's a greyhound, I haven't worked a adult of either type but have spoke to people who have (both types) a good one of both types will kill foxes but physically the coursing bred greyhound is much bigger and heavier set and can reach 100+ you wont see many if any racers past 80-85 pound 

• Like 2
44 minutes ago, Busher100 said:

The plan is to work her and if she'll kill foxes and stays sound physically for a few seasons then I will retire her and breed a few litters out of her to a proper stock bull then back to her best son, but if she's got no balls she won't just be given a pass because she's a greyhound, I haven't worked a adult of either type but have spoke to people who have (both types) a good one of both types will kill foxes but physically the coursing bred greyhound is much bigger and heavier set and can reach 100+ you wont see many if any racers past 80-85 pound 

Yep, the size difference can be quite surprising now. Most racing dogs will be around  70 - 75 lb give or take a couple of pound, bitches about 10 ish lb lighter, in general. Some big dogs racing, but not that many. 

You only need to look at a picture of a racing grey and a coursing bred one completely different shape much more heavily muscled the coursing bred, my bitches dame was 28 and 82 pound her sire was 29 and 94,  it's mad how so many people want to breed but hardly any (i know a few who have) take the time to find and try to rear a good working greyhound to breed lurchers

• Thanks 1
14 minutes ago, Busher100 said:

You only need to look at a picture of a racing grey and a coursing bred one completely different shape much more heavily muscled the coursing bred, my bitches dame was 28 and 82 pound her sire was 29 and 94,  it's mad how so many people want to breed but hardly any (i know a few who have) take the time to find and try to rear a good working greyhound to breed lurchers

Yeah, some of these coursing breds are huge things, especially those irish park dogs. No, not too many people prepared to take on a well bred grey pup and rear and use it as a lurcher. I hope it works out for you ?

• Like 1