VHD set to decimate our rabbit population!

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

? When I  was a young'un, I pursued rabbits with impunity,.. my folks were smallholders in Rural Wales and nobody bothered about a lad taking a few rabbits and hares.  Then, I was dragged  (kicki

You are right to a point, but I think there is a much bigger picture than landowners or hunters as rabbits are a major food source for many  predators like bop,s that have just come back from us pickl

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Deker said:

??????

It was reported a few years ago there were more rabbits in the UK than when myxomatosis was introduced.

Really? Based on what data? GWTC below...

Given the technological advances in recent times I'm not surprised the game bag has shown an increase either. Still not recovery.

20181112_191130.jpg

38 minutes ago, Born Hunter said:

Really? Based on what data? GWTC below...

Given the technological advances in recent times I'm not surprised the game bag has shown an increase either. Still not recovery.

20181112_191130.jpg

???? what is that graph meant to represent???

If it is rabbits it supports my comment as it clearly shows numbers in circa 1995, and various other more recent years are higher than when Myxomatosis was introduced!

4 minutes ago, Deker said:

???? what is that graph meant to represent???

If it is rabbits it supports my comment as it clearly shows numbers in circa 1995, and various other more recent years are higher than when Myxomatosis was introduced!

Lol, no it doesn't. Read the caption. You can't ignore all the pre myxi data and only look at the numbers in the immediate years prior to 53. 

Edited by Born Hunter

As seen in human pandemics the toll can be very high. Imagine something like this getting into the human population ! Ebola is again killing people in Africa. In the Republic of Congo an outbreak of Ebola has around 291 cases which have been confirmed since the outbreak began in August of which there had been 201 deaths from the virus. Imagine this really getting away or some other virus pandemic with a kilĺ rate of 2 in 3. 

5 minutes ago, Born Hunter said:

Lol, no it doesn't. Read the caption.

I did, enlighten me!

I said.....

It was reported a few years ago there were more rabbits in the UK than when myxomatosis was introduced.

Which part of that is wrong?

You said When myxi was introduced it knocked the population back permanently.

Your graph clearly shows that is incorrect and my comment is accurate!

Edited by Deker
1 minute ago, Deker said:

I did, enlighted me!

I said.....

Which part of that is wrong?

You said the rabbit population was permanently

Which part was wrong.... the part where it presumes to counter my statement that rabbit numbers never recovered. Clearly you are just looking at 2 data points, I presumed your statement considered more than that.

Looking at the data I have provided rabbit number have not fully recovered. I'm not just picking single data points. Apparently you are?

Also looking at the data more closely it clearly needs correcting for war time. Which is why you can't just pick single data points.

9 minutes ago, Born Hunter said:

Lol, no it doesn't. Read the caption.You can't ignore all the pre myxi data and only look at the numbers in the immediate years prior to 53. 

I  didn't ignore anything, I made a factual comment which your graph clearly shows to be correct but for some reason you seem to suggest my comment was wrong. 

3 minutes ago, Born Hunter said:

Which part was wrong.... the part where it presumes to counter my statement that rabbit numbers never recovered. Clearly you are just looking at 2 data points, I presumed your statement considered more than that.

Looking at the data I have provided rabbit number have not fully recovered. I'm not just picking single data points. Apparently you are?

Also looking at the data more closely it clearly needs correcting for war time. Which is why you can't just pick single data points.

You presented a graph which clearly supported my statement and showed you were wrong, but you keep insisting otherwise.

How on earth can you say  When myxi was introduced it knocked the population back permanently.  when your graph clearly shows there were more in various subsequent years than when mixxy was introduced!

? When I  was a young'un, I pursued rabbits with impunity,.. my folks were smallholders in Rural Wales and nobody bothered about a lad taking a few rabbits and hares. 

Then, I was dragged  (kicking and screaming) down South...?

I took up with Chavies and old-style Roms, in the Hop Fields of Kent, and continued harassing the rabbits and game birds.

Another move. to a tough council estate in Hampshire taught me, that some men would stop at nothing to prevent me from catching a few rabbits,..and I made regular appearances in the Magistrate Courts... It was getting emotional...?

Then, as time moved on, my situation changed, I decided that I was getting nowhere fast, traveling down the poaching route, so when the opportunity presented itself, I went legal and hunted the coney, as a profession...

Nowadays, I no longer kill rabbits in quantity, (I regularly walk out with pals that do), but me and my wee collie lurcher, just tag along for the craic.

We just stand and watch... ?

The rabbit controlling business has been a good mistress to me, I've no wish now to bag up or take out the shushis,...I've killed more than enough...

Let's hope and pray that Old Brer can beat this noxious virus,... it is gonna be a hard time, but I have got a gut feeling that in some way, he will survive...?

PICT0133.JPG.2b83834c2ba4f683f4a210a09c2383c1.JPG

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
1 hour ago, Deker said:

You presented a graph which clearly supported my statement and showed you were wrong, but you keep insisting otherwise.

How on earth can you say  When myxi was introduced it knocked the population back permanently.  when your graph clearly shows there were more in various subsequent years than when mixxy was introduced!

LOL f**k me. Tell ya what I'll just agree with the GWCT and you can disagree with them. If you think that data shows the rabbit population is larger than it was pre myxi then whatever. I believe you're wrong and so does the GWTC.