VHD set to decimate our rabbit population!

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

? When I  was a young'un, I pursued rabbits with impunity,.. my folks were smallholders in Rural Wales and nobody bothered about a lad taking a few rabbits and hares.  Then, I was dragged  (kicki

You are right to a point, but I think there is a much bigger picture than landowners or hunters as rabbits are a major food source for many  predators like bop,s that have just come back from us pickl

Posted Images

Nothing but pockets of rabbits round here now compared to 10 years ago. Disease has utterly f****d them. Bloody shame really but at least I had some good rabbiting before it all went.

Not sure they will ever recover. When myxi was introduced it knocked the population back permanently. It should be expected that RHD will have a similar effect.

• Sad 1
1 minute ago, W. Katchum said:

I feel for my kids, they all love rabbiting an any day off school is always spent either rabbiting or annoying life out is to go rabbiting☹️  Be a damn shame if they take another whipping like mixy did to em, but I got a wee bit faith in Mother Nature, hopefully she will stop em being wiped out, as I honestly really like seeing them about, watching rabbits play an chase each other about a field always makes me smile, even if I not ferretin them?

I don't think anything else provides such a wide variety of sport as the rabbit. It is a fantastic quarry. I used to love Sunday mornings ferreting, nights lamping with our lurchers, hunting hedgerows and flushing them to gun with my terrier, late summer evenings stalking the margins with a rifle...

Times change and I'm doing new stuff now but it is a shame a lot of that rabbiting is gone.

if it carries on like this , it makes you wonder if it will be worth owning a lurcher and ferrets. There has been a massive decline over the last 2 seasons locally, where i was counting 50 plus on some fields of an evening  i am now seeing one and twos. it reminds me of the seventys , used to walk for miles with the dog, only thing we run then was the hares, now that jobs buggered as well, Reckon they will see a big decline in raptor numbers now up there, its happened here with the buzzards already.

i think I saw something on the t.v that there is studies being carried out in areas of the country due to the decline in rabbits and they are actually trying to replenish numbers. It may well have been country file I seen it on. They were counting catching and weighing rabbits. Hopefully we can help them to get back a healthy population all over the country.

• Like 1

We haven't really had good numbers of rabbits for twenty years in Lancashire. Yes there was estates with good numbers and odd areas but the days of rabbits on waste ground or moorland edge seem to have gone. 

Our on the coast seemed to hold em, in the light sandy ground. Year before last I went to look at a job on an airfield, you could see em sat outside sandy Warrens out in bare fields.....went ferreting 2 weeks later and every one had gone. And no they hadn't been poached, they nemerous fences and military police protecting em on that land. 

If my lad asked me to take him ferreting I would honestly struggle to find a rabbit for him. It's a sad state of affairs 

• Like 1