Health and Fitness

5 hours ago, Bush Rummager said:

Get a bike or two mate?You're doing enough graft to keep the weigh off i reckon.

Cycling is bang on for a cardio workout.. and your calfs and quads will explode??

Definetly would enjoy cycling but hate running. Building wind would help.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I am in my 60s ,quite strong 6ft 2 in , 12st 7 lb ,but my back is f****d from all the shagging .....oh hang on ,that not me that's Ray .

I was with the mrs on holiday once and we were walking along the cliffs and some runners came along and I said look at the daft fookers killing them selves but really I was jealous as I hung off the g

Vince Gironda the iron guru  was way ahead of his time. I've done keto diets and it does work but I've had the best consistent results from eating clean and tracking my calories and planning my meals

Posted Images

53 minutes ago, jiggy said:

When the weather's decent and I'm not knackered, I've been coming home after a 10 hour night shift and doing a five and a half mile off road bike ride with the dogs running with me, good for us all ?

Cheers, D.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, jiggy said:

Running isn't everyones cup of tea mate. I use it as a plan B if i can't get a ride in. It ticks a box i suppose and certainly gets me blowing. You can't 'freewheel' on a run, or sit up for a minute to take a breather! I went a little 3 mile run last, 26 minutes.. 8.40 sec a mile average which slower than normal for me but  I've had a heavy week away with the lad's and then away with the family so no surprises really. Ticks a box and better than nowt thoug. It's surprising how quick you do get your fitness back if you're banging the miles in on a regular basis.

If you do ever get a bike mate, have a look at that Strava app. It tracks your rides/runs and i find it great for motivation. Free aswell!! ?

• Like 1

The thing with this fitness lark is once you get through the fook me this is torture part puffing like a train it can get addictive. Once you get few years in then any injury that holds you back can be a pain because you worry about sliding and losing your hard earned work. When i used to cycle to work if i took the car for some reason I would be in a right grump when i got home and just didn't feel right all most with drawn lol

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, Francie said:

Im thinking of cycling to work in mornings now too, 14 mile round trip lol 

Be bitter at 5 in morning, bush do you know anything bout cycling gear, something light but waterproof preferably, an no im not wearing lycra?

Yea good luck with that mate trying to keep dry is a challenge I never wear lycra just me normal work clothes and keep spare set of clothes in work or took with me. MIne was about 16  miles round trip up a dual carriageway one way so I had spray off the traffic as well. Best water proofs I found were from the farmers co op some nice green ones and a bit stretchy. They worked really well. I cycled for about 4 years hardly missed a day but got new job now and its too far. The biggest thing is good gloves because by christ the old hands can get cold on an icy morning 

Edited by terryd
6 hours ago, Balaur said:

Good effort mate I'm good for nothing when ive been on nights.

I'm off swimming with the kids now but won't be very strenuous. I'm determined to improve my fitness had a short mooch yesterday and was sucking air through my arse. Get dogs back in feb so need to get in better shape by then. 

Didn't do the ride this morning and I struggled to sleep, last shift tonight, see whether I'm up for it tomoz?

Cheers, D.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Francie said:

Im thinking of cycling to work in mornings now too, 14 mile round trip lol 

Be bitter at 5 in morning, bush do you know anything bout cycling gear, something light but waterproof preferably, an no im not wearing lycra?

It does make me laugh, this lycra thing! I've the lot to be honest.. and i probably do look at twat.. but, the important thing is.. i couldn't give a fcuk to be honest!?

I'd probably look a bigger knob riding the flying machine with tracky bottoms and a baggy t-shirt flapping about.. so i haven't got a choice really!! I definitely understand your point though mate.

I can't really advise gear wise Jiggy. I normally go for Altura stuff. Mid priced decent gear. Wiggle and Tredz good sites and rarely beaten price wise. You're probably better of whacking it in Google mate to be honest. Good shout with the gloves.. i go double in the winter?

next up depending on your bike if your going to stick at it get some marathon plus tyres. Bloody good against punctures. Nothing worse on the way home than getting a puncture lol. Also you find goodies or I did on the dualcarrage found a wheel barrow once that had blown off. stashed it the hedge lol

The app is https://www.strava.com/

Edited by terryd
1 hour ago, terryd said:

next up depending on your bike if your going to stick at it get some marathon plus tyres. Bloody good against punctures. Nothing worse on the way home than getting a puncture lol. Also you find goodies or I did on the dualcarrage found a wheel barrow once that had blown off. stashed it the hedge lol

The app is https://www.strava.com/

Thank you terry, its a decent giant mount bike with pirelli tyres i think, whatever be lying on road would be well lifted already?

• Like 1
On 03/11/2018 at 10:26, jiggy said:

I'm blocklaying every day but would like to go to gym and lift weights but I find myself drained after a hard days work which is probably counter productive which would waste muscle rather than build. Upper body strength is pretty good from laying blocks but it doesn't do much for cardio.

I get the same problem, stone garden walls are the killer. Taking down the old, sorting the reclaim, moving waste to where machine can take it, sorting and loading stone by hand at the quarry, moving tons of materials into inaccessible gardens and then actually building the fecking things. I love cycling and riding dirtbikes, but on the wrong side of 40 I'm so tired evenings and sundays I hardly ever get out any more. Also got the most capable lurcher I've ever had in her prime years and I'm letting her down too not getting out enough :(

• Like 1