Squirrels

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I moved a fenn into a big tree opening I found and had a young squirrel yesterday evening checking them the second time of the day. I also had my second snared squirrel on a log I put up about a week

after all the nice looking food that greenlurchers and others put up on here.....I have to be honest that don't look that nice

Finally got one, I have made the nooses larger and tomorrow will be adding tealers to them all like in the photo, I put this caught squirrels head to my other snares and it barely fitted through so I

Posted Images

They taste good, pretty mild to be honest so you could do your own seasoning to taste. Good lean meat though like a small rabbit. So I put a fenn in an oak three days ago and had my second catch there today. Other three fenns have been up over two weeks and no catches so going to have to move them I think. Snares still getting pulled though had three pulled but no catch so maybe they need to be up even higher again. Just takes a bit longer teaching yourself lol. 

DSC_0963.JPG

IMG-20180929-WA0002.jpg

IMG-20180929-WA0005.jpg

• Like 5

Another two today, one on the snare and one in the fenn, third squirrel in four days in that oa tree. I found thr single strand brass wire is all I'm catching on with the snares, steel wire and multi strand brass isn't pulling and locking off tight enough so even though they're being pulled they're losing the catches. The single brass is pulling very tight and keeping locked on however there's a few snapped off so it's still a learning curve at the moment on the snares. 

DSC_0964.JPG

DSC_0965.JPG

IMG_20180930_152851_756.jpg

• Like 1
On ‎27‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 10:41, darrren said:

I moved a fenn into a big tree opening I found and had a young squirrel yesterday evening checking them the second time of the day. I also had my second snared squirrel on a log I put up about a week ago. I checked again this morning and the same snare was chewed off so either it was pulled off by a fox or he chewed off, but I'm getting there. I've made the loop alot bigger, one thing I did was on my first catch, held the squirrel to my other snares and the noose was way too small. I have my dads funeral today but hopefully I'll have a catch later this evening. Two weeks of missed catches but I'm learning from my mistakes and snares definitely work. The other fenns I've not had a thing. The fenn had this one by the legs so not clean but as I was checking traps I heard sudden distress calls so maybe it caught while I was there. I'll get some photos of my fenn set ups later. 

DSC_0947.JPG

DSC_0948.JPG

IMG-20180926-WA0001.jpg

IMG-20180926-WA0002.jpg

IMG-20180926-WA0003.jpg

IMG_20180926_150125_298.jpg

after all the nice looking food that greenlurchers and others put up on here.....I have to be honest that don't look that nice

• Haha 6

Little recipe for ya , cut the meat of the bone soak the meat in milk in fridge over night get it out and dry the meat of ( use paper towel) dip the meat in to Chinese 5 spice mixed with flour then dip in egg white and deep fry .. serve them with Chinese sweet and sour or black current jam .

male great little starts / snacks 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 01/10/2018 at 17:23, MR TEA POT said:

Nice bit of snaring there pal,keep at it you will soon have it cracked?

Thanks I just re set the snares last night for the weekend as now I'm back to work its no time to do it in the week, hopefully I'll get a few but I've been setting them higher now. Do you snare yourself? Thanks for the recipe unwilling give it a go, I don't like having to many pots out I'm a one pot wonder but I will certainly try that, what effect does the milk have on the meat? 

I reset my snares last night in the dark ready for the weekend. I had a catch today but had to dispatch it as it was bellied. This tells me it ws too low. And is my first catch on a straight pole that isn't at an angle. It's all a learning curve though. The fenn trap hasn't gone off but the bait had remained all week so I think I may of cleared that oarticoarea. One interesting thing is every one I've caught has been a male. 

IMG_20181005_170633_506.jpg

DSC_0987.JPG

• Like 1