Sign in to follow this  
Guest vin

Hob Kits 1st day out. 13.09.18

Guest vin

Hello all.

Tested one of the young hob kits out yesterday.

I tried one of the Jill kits last week and she was a natural, Straight down and rolling around with a bunny in the net after 5 mins and all fired up for some more etc.

Yesterday I took one of the hobs out to see how it performed. 

1st warren he was a little hesitant about going down into the dark depths  .... but he went in and came out nice and steady with no drama and no bolts.I put the older hob in to check and it was empty.

Next Warren, A good mark off the dogs and I put him in behind the older hob, He followed along and they bolted a few quickly. The dogs picked a couple up and the ferret came out jumping and dancing like a mad banshee chuckling away, just like his old dad (Mr chuckles). I picked him up and calmed him down and boxed him up. I did a few more with the older ferrets, But on my way back to the motor the dogs put one to ground in a nice little 4 hole warren on a slightly raised mound etc. I thought...Nows the time little man to see what you can do. 

I dropped some nets down and popped him in... 2 mins later a rumble and a grumble and then a loud sqweeeek... he had got it good and proper... I went over to the hole and the bunny was backing out with the Hob attached to its snout...lol. I dispatched and detached and after he'd made sure it was dead he was off back down the hole... 2 mins later no bolts...locator out and he was just over 2 foot down stuck to a bunny's back-end scratching away with his furry mittens on. I was chuffed to bits when I got him out and sort of backfilled the tube he was up whilst removing the rabbit. He went back in again like he was on a mission and less than a minute I could hear one complaining rather loudly about him chewing its face... another 2-foot dig and rabbit 3  in the bag and one very happy and contented little hob..he seems bigger and older today when I look at him in the hutch with his siblings.  I think he's going to be a decent grafter after a season or 2. Most folks tend to leave them till they're a lot older to work them etc... I would rather know if they are up for it 1st and then fine-tune the rest as we go along. No point feeding it for a year or more to find out it's not very good below ground. Now, all it needs is a bit of work but not too much that its likely to sicken it etc.

I think this one is a keeper. . .  The best thing about him is he's so laid back. . . He's the quietest of the pack so far. . . I have 2 others that are full on mad for it...lol 

Tell thee what, he's a cracking looking boy as well, just how I like mine.

well done on giving them a try out, and I agree, they seem to grow up overnight after going work for the first time.

Guest vin
2 hours ago, pengelli said:

What age are these kits now vin

they were born on 25th may.

approx 15 weeks old.

Thanks for that I'm out tomorrow on a new spot small buries on a hillside I've got two Jill's here 18 weeks old may take them along with their dad for a look they have been flesh fed on rabbit pigeon pheasant and anything I can lay my hands on show them a rabbit and the will latch on I will take it slow with them one step at a time 😁

Young hobs first time in the field, killed his first ever rabbit before I could get down 18 inch tops. Settled straight into it an is a pleasure to have around😀C935BD36-5B9D-4B9C-A9CD-01BD5F316D40.thumb.jpeg.9ad5f89f6ea2b2cbc4836ebb2adc72b5.jpeg30FD30B0-0D08-49EF-9063-2539F65A4AE3.thumb.jpeg.dc7d34333e3b73cf5b2d41e513d87f09.jpeg

bell off here has his sister aswell an she started same day out with him an done well. It’s all in the breeding 😀😂😉

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Guest vin

Had a report back from another lad who had a couple of jills and a hob... he had 16 bunnies with them this afternoon. dug them out stuck to the bunnies and bolted a good few...he's happy.

23 hours ago, deanflute said:

I'll be getting these little beasts out soon. Dont fancy trying to get a collar on them, end up with no fingers left 😂

They sound lovely 

• Haha 1

Guest vin

Update on the Kits.

Had them out regular all season so far.

Last week.. 3 days in a row and they were still scratching on the box to go, same again this week with some very long hard shifts with big bunnies in big warrens and lots of digging etc.

2 hobs kits have filled my freezer.. they must have shifted at least 200 bunnies if not more and have killed or dug at least 30.

They are hunting like old pros and have a never ending desire to kill bunnies.. The ones from the previous season are too good and too fast. Its literally 60 seconds and out with the locator if nothings bolted.

good luck everyone..hope yours are doing ok for you.