Beddy in the mix

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

1/2 grey 1/4 collie 1/4beddy.   Got him at six weeks 15 month now had a few early bunnies courtesy of the busher kills them straight away, retrieve hit and miss so bit work to do, proper tun

Had a nice couple  hours this morning with my we beddy whippet greyhound 

Posted Images

Anything edible he takes im happy, he ain't no out and out fox dog is he but that's not to say should be more than capable of stopping the odd one that the busher puts up when he's mature, nothing less than I'd expect from any lurcher. 

Edited by Jackknife
  • Like 6
1 hour ago, nothernlite said:

They can no exactly the hardest thing for a dog to do catch and kill a fox ???

Not the hardest thing to do, no definitely not, but take that little dog out on a Friday night maybe kill one or two in the lamp then get up Saturday morning and take him doing covers with the hounds where he’ll get a chance at another couple some from pretty long slips on bad ground and repeat on the Sunday do that every weekend for four or five months and if he’s still at it come February and not pulling them about by the arse then he’s half decent.???. The one that I owned was a Friday night dog but if he took a bit of stick and had a bit of time to think about it he wasn’t the same dog on  a Saturday or Sunday, a good friend had a little bitch that had a massive heart and would try as hard on the last of the weekend as she did on the first but just couldn’t kill them cleanly enough. So no not the hardest thing to do but there’s a big difference in an occasional fox killer and one that is asked to take decent numbers...

Edited by dogmandont
  • Like 5
7 minutes ago, dogmandont said:

Not the hardest thing to do, no definitely not, but take that little dog out on a Friday night maybe kill one or two in the lamp then get up Saturday morning and take him doing covers with the hounds where he’ll get a chance at another couple some from pretty long slips on bad ground and repeat on the Sunday do that for four or five months every weekend and if he’s still at it come February and not pulling them about by the arse then he’s half decent.???. The one that I owned was a Friday night dog but if he took a bit of stick and had a bit of time to think about it he wasn’t the same dog on  a Saturday or Sunday, a good friend had a little bitch that had a massive heart and would try as hard on the last of the weekend as she did on the first but just couldn’t kill them cleanly enough. So no not the hardest thing to do but there’s a big difference in an occasional fox killer and one that is asked to take decent numbers...

Do you know him  cause that exactly what he does covers a 60 mile radius with his hounds  most he has had in a night was 5 with his we cute bedfy whippets and they usually rip the throats out not ass biters  on alot of fell ground he ran his dogs thats why he preffered the lighter dogs not your bigger type 

• Haha 1
7 hours ago, bird said:

i used to read about   spud   1x beddy x grey    that Garry   thing a bob   forgot his last name  ,  well it was long time ago , lol . well he did  say how good he did his job on foxes solo  no prob.But i think he did say that apbt x greys  were getting popular , and he could see why , they kill quick  very powerful with strong jaws, and take pain  like no other lurcher  back then, so suppose times moved on with dogs for jobs, and ive always said  that the best fox killer i ever saw was Tug 1x staff x grey , he kill them dead quick  , like feckin rat lol   , it was seeing him that these type dogs take it to another level , the wheatenxs another good lurcher , but from what heard bit to sharp with other dogs , but never had one ,only bullxs mine were good with other dogs no prob  . But a well bred 1x beddy x grey  still good lurcher do most stuff, get the right one you got a very  good dog .

Question is, was Spud a genuine 1st cross Beddie grey, or was there something else in the mix?

3 minutes ago, nothernlite said:

Do you know him  cause that exactly what he does covers a 60 mile radius with his hounds  most he has had in a night was 5 with his we cute bedfy whippets and they usually rip the throats out not ass biters  on alot of fell ground he ran his dogs thats why he preffered the lighter dogs not your bigger type 

Don’t know him but maybe I should get to.???. Sounds like  he has decent animals. 

Just now, dogmandont said:

Don’t know him but maybe I should get to.???. Sounds like  he has decent animals. 

He did mate came from Yorkshire originally then when the ban came in bought a farm in ireland there was a few lads that were on here knew  him and his dogs  they were a decent type of dogs  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, dogmandont said:

Not the hardest thing to do, no definitely not, but take that little dog out on a Friday night maybe kill one or two in the lamp then get up Saturday morning and take him doing covers with the hounds where he’ll get a chance at another couple some from pretty long slips on bad ground and repeat on the Sunday do that every weekend for four or five months and if he’s still at it come February and not pulling them about by the arse then he’s half decent.???. The one that I owned was a Friday night dog but if he took a bit of stick and had a bit of time to think about it he wasn’t the same dog on  a Saturday or Sunday, a good friend had a little bitch that had a massive heart and would try as hard on the last of the weekend as she did on the first but just couldn’t kill them cleanly enough. So no not the hardest thing to do but there’s a big difference in an occasional fox killer and one that is asked to take decent numbers...

yeh ok fair point  , but  why not let the dog heal for a week or so, then he be keen to the job again the week after .? if you got that much ground and quarry , surly  you need couple of lurchers to do that amount of work, that way, you got dogs ready for there work and, you got the sport,!  like said if your doing that amount of teeth work, nothing better than 1x  pit x grey  for grit and handling pain, thats the type dogs you need not a beddy x grey  or whippet x beddy  , get the right dog for the job springs to mind i reckon .!!

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, bird said:

yeh ok fair point  , but  why not let the dog heal for a week or so, then he be keen to the job again the week after .? if you got that much ground and quarry , surly  you need couple of lurchers to do that amount of work, that way, you got dogs ready for there work and, you got the sport,!  like said if your doing that amount of teeth work, nothing better than 1x  pit x grey  for grit and handling pain, thats the type dogs you need not a beddy x grey  or whippet x beddy  , get the right dog for the job springs to mind i reckon .!!

Arr but long slips and rough ground were mention d Ray  1st cross bull terrier grey some might say they struggle to get on to um 

• Like 2

I bred a lurcher to a bedlington whip greyhound in the nineties, a dog called max that a friend had of Bruce woodcock, bull greyhound collie greyhound, all the pups that were used for clearing fox were good at the job, not as hard as first cross but killed a lot more