Rabbit decline

Where I live used to be crawling with rabbits. The field behind my house used to have a 15 yard ring all around the headlands come silage time it was like a golf course. Now you could walk every inch of the place all day every day and never see a rabbit. They all disappear in 2 years it went from thousands of rabbits to nothing. Any idea what would have caused this. We used to be able to catch 20 rabbits a night and 5 nights a week and never leave a dent in them. They disappeared 7 or 8 years ago and we all taught they would be back as good as ever in 2 years time but it never happened 

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not much around but me and the dog make such a hash of catching them we get good value out of each rabbit  Quite happy with one rabbit and two is a good day  

Vhd.  It's not even worth having a lurcher any more.

The final chapter ?

Posted Images

12 minutes ago, gnipper said:

Vhd.  It's not even worth having a lurcher any more.

I used to love a night out with the lurchers but the way things are now I can never justify keeping another they just wouldn’t get the work 

2 minutes ago, shaneg said:

I used to love a night out with the lurchers but the way things are now I can never justify keeping another they just wouldn’t get the work 

Ive thought exactly the same about the digging game shane, too many wankers and jealous types bringing it on top for tidy lads..... Thats why the blackdogs are gone, kept a little Russell dog and ive got myself a lurcher pup, got a few lads whos dogs i can dig to keep my hand in?

I recently bought a small property in Western NSW which is covered in old warrens,locals tell me the last rabbit was seen in the area about 7years ago,used to be infested with them.Higher up in the hills about 1hr away there in plague numbers and always have been.Luckily have secured a couple of good permissions there.They seem to be surviving in colder high country round here.

How many on here can honestly say when out with the dogs,ferrets,guns they say that’s enough for today with a couple of rabbits? Not many of us! Like has been said everything and one are hunting rabbits,once rabbits are knocked back through constantly been shot,dogged etc then a dose of mixi it’s difficult to come back from especially when folks are still hunting them when they are virtually non existent. In 1980 rabbits round my way were very thin on the ground until a lad who had some good permission in the dales kept bagging rabbits when ferreting and released them at home it worked wonders.worth trying shaneg.

• Like 3
25 minutes ago, Terry Ermann said:

Didn’t mixy wipe out 99% of the population when it was first introduced? They are resilient little critters they’ll bounce back.

That’s  right terry but the world has changed there has been a population explosion more mouths to feed and less land to do it, so most farmers with arable land want no rabbits and are happy for someone to rifle the lot,the pressures on the rabbit population is much greater now than in the 1950s but like you say they are resilient but maybe we should all have a think what the future holds for are kind of hunting.

• Like 3