Common beginner mistakes to avoid!

Ok I’ve only had Lurchers for the passed two years and everyday is a school day. Life is short and nobody has much time on their hands these days with work and other commitments. So what are common mistakes people make when first owning a Lurcher which will hinder progress. This could be absolutely anything from training, using slip lead, entering Lurcher to quarry and more. I see a lot on here and common phrases are ‘if done right’, ‘if entered right’ ‘if bred right’. For all the beginners out there looking to soak as much information in as possible, it would be good for the time served lads to talk us through there ways of bringing a Lurcher from a pup and what common mistakes can be avoided and any tips which deliver the best results which have worked for you.

Thanks for any input

• Like 4

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Over doing retrieve training.

Avoid the police at all cost lol 

Not having them stock trained

1 minute ago, Kerny92 said:

Giving them too many slips I'd say, you need to remember no dog is a machine and they are flesh and blood just like us.

I think a mistake I made and still make is having them off the lead too often and not working off a slip often enough. Letting them just mooch and hunt up whilst terriers run the bushes. Especially when there young. Knocks there confidence I think because they run rabbits they can’t catch due to cover? What your thoughts

• Like 1

Get the stock training sorted or your in for a stressful life constantly on edge. If you have any sense any way . To quote a friend the best way to stop them chasing stock is to never let them start

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
57 minutes ago, Who let the dogs out! said:

I think a mistake I made and still make is having them off the lead too often and not working off a slip often enough. Letting them just mooch and hunt up whilst terriers run the bushes. Especially when there young. Knocks there confidence I think because they run rabbits they can’t catch due to cover? What your thoughts

I don't know, it depends what you want in a dog. You will miss quarry on a slip just as much as you will allowing them to hunt up. On a mooch i like to have the dogs hunting up. Saying that a collie cross i had was jealous as fcuk and was a pain in the arse if on a walk with other dogs.

27 minutes ago, blackmaggie said:

Without making mistakes you won't learn i would say patience is the biggest and entering to early or recall 

I heard you have a habit of entering early and blowing your load. ?

• Haha 4
1 minute ago, blackmaggie said:

You heard wrong  im  the sort that's normally in the for the long run unlike the shite  you run they won't know a long run because they gas after 50 yards ? 

Aye cos tha dogs are like a fcuking tortoise.....

Again the dementia is kicking in, wrong guy flower. ?

Make triple sure they are stock Broken to all farm animals you will encounter. And don't walk them through areas with game as young pups as you can be sure something will be somewhere when you don't want it to be

• Like 1

I've had running dogs for about 40 years and believe me every day out with them is still a school day,thats what makes it great.Just don't forget most dogs love to please their masters, so don't get too angry when they f**k up,there most certainly trying to please.

Edited by Aussie Whip
  • Like 4