First cross Beddy Whippet

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

putting her to a good Whippet, to get a three quarter pup for myself. 

not the best of pics sorry,bit hot out there for her with that coat lol

mines 13 months.marking at 9 months old.only caught 2 daytime rabbits so far.got her for ferreting & daytime mooching.this will be her first season come September. 

Posted Images

Just now, SheepChaser said:

Can someone tell me what you can get from Beddy blood that you can’t get elsewhere with more chance of it being worked etc? Genuine question, never really had much to do with Beddy x and don’t really get the whole thing. Other than the coat. 

Some of the coats on beddy are no good very fine  for me i like terrier blood like a trier  and a dog thats no feart to try most things hate a dog running with its head up.trying to work things out just get on with it they have a good nose 

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, SheepChaser said:

Can someone tell me what you can get from Beddy blood that you can’t get elsewhere with more chance of it being worked etc? Genuine question, never really had much to do with Beddy x and don’t really get the whole thing. Other than the coat. 

Same here. They obviously have plenty of enthusiasts, just going from the posts on here. But I was put off them, partly by my ex brother in law's dogs  a 1st x beddy x whip/grey and a 1st x beddy/grey. Great in the daytime ferreting/mooching, great noses on em, but apart from that they were, well, frustratingly headstrong, and apt to follow the scent of anything they missed on the lamp, for f***ing ages! Lol. They did have good coats though  the beddy x whip/grey having the best coat of any beddy cross I've seen. Was a tight broken coat that was properly waterproof. He was a moody little f****r though, that liked to be left alone lol.

Was almost 40 years ago to the first dog, beddy x whip/grey, though. Beddy was gutchcommon straight from margaret williamson, whip/grey was bred by E G Walsh.

The beddy/grey was straight from george newcombe. 1/4 lakeland in the beddy type sire. About 1990ish

Edited by shaaark
3 minutes ago, shaaark said:

Same here. They obviously have plenty of enthusiasts, just going from the posts on here. But I was put off them, partly by my ex brother in law's dogs  a 1st x beddy x whip/grey and a 1st x beddy/grey. Great in the daytime ferreting/mooching, great noses on em, but apart from that they were, well, frustratingly headstrong, and apt to follow the scent of anything they missed on the lamp, for f***ing ages! Lol. They did have good coats though  the beddy x whip/grey having the best coat of any beddy cross I've seen. Was a tight broken coat that was properly waterproof. He was a moody little f****r though, that liked to be left alone lol.

Well my first x not to bad picks up on shoots and will retrieve the odd duck off the water what got me with beddys is nose and guts ,the rest like any other x you have to put in urself

• Like 2
Just now, Loton Moocher said:

Well my first x not to bad picks up on shoots and will retrieve the odd duck off the water what got me with beddys is nose and guts ,the rest like any other x you have to put in urself

Yes mate, I was going to say, my ex brother in law didn't really put much training, obedience etc into them, so I suppose some of the 'faults' as I perceived them at the time  could quite possibky not even been an issue if he'd put some discipline into them. ?

8 minutes ago, shaaark said:

Yes mate, I was going to say, my ex brother in law didn't really put much training, obedience etc into them, so I suppose some of the 'faults' as I perceived them at the time  could quite possibky not even been an issue if he'd put some discipline into them. ?

I start basics at early age the rest comes as they go along I find with beddy crosses the drive etc is already there they just need that little fine tuning lol , but I must being honest say the best bitch I’ve ever had had a dash of collie in her aswell ?

• Like 1

I have had beddywhippets with good coats, and some as nothernlite says with poor coats, too fine. all have had a great nose. I think beddy nose takes some beating. they can be stubborn but early work pays with the discipline. one thing I have never been able to do is call them off when in pursuit. 

56 minutes ago, nothernlite said:

Some of the coats on beddy are no good very fine  for me i like terrier blood like a trier  and a dog thats no feart to try most things hate a dog running with its head up.trying to work things out just get on with it they have a good nose 

Totally get that, I much prefer terrier blooded dogs, but just wondered why Beddy in particular ? Not bull? And there are lots more working patts, Russel’s etc 

14 minutes ago, SheepChaser said:

Also why would a Beddy have a better nose than say a Russel - so few folk work Beddy a so must be less of a good hunting gene pool surely ?

Been thinking about the nose on beddies for a while. I'm speculating here, as no-one really seems to know, could the nose come from some type of spanish, italian or whatever, water dog?  Lagotto romagnolo, portuguese water dog etc. Beddies look very similar to some of these types, and are good in water, good nose, similar type coats. 

And the types I mean were the ones before the KC breeding ruined them.

Edited by shaaark