First cross Beddy Whippet

1 minute ago, shaaark said:

Been thinking about the nose on beddies for a while. I'm speculating here, as no-one really seems to know, could the nose come from some type of spanish, italian or whatever, water dog?  Lagotto romagnolo, portuguese water dog etc. Beddies look very similar to some of these types, and are good in water, good nose, similar type coats. 

But who says a Beddy has a better nose than any other terrier, or more drive etc. 

1st x Beddy Xs out of non working Beddy a bred out of lines of non or half working Beddys.

Why are they used ? Is it just fashion? Habit? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

putting her to a good Whippet, to get a three quarter pup for myself. 

not the best of pics sorry,bit hot out there for her with that coat lol

mines 13 months.marking at 9 months old.only caught 2 daytime rabbits so far.got her for ferreting & daytime mooching.this will be her first season come September. 

Posted Images

1 minute ago, SheepChaser said:

But who says a Beddy has a better nose than any other terrier, or more drive etc. 

1st x Beddy Xs out of non working Beddy a bred out of lines of non or half working Beddys.

Couldn't tell you mate lol ?

20 minutes ago, SheepChaser said:

I can only think its the availability. I would think a Patterdale x whippet etc would do the job fine. a very good friend of mine who has had beddywhippets years once had a bullxwhippet. not the pit. It was a old type of Stafford Cross whippet. said it was one the best dogs he ever had just as good as his beddywhippets. 

54 minutes ago, SheepChaser said:

Totally get that, I much prefer terrier blooded dogs, but just wondered why Beddy in particular ? Not bull? And there are lots more working patts, Russel’s etc 

Just took to them theres a guy near me that has kept his line going for a lot of years he gifted me my first beddy type and they just suit me so stuck by them  got a different type now but lining my we beddy bitch next week so hopefully back to my usual.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, nothernlite said:

Just took to them theres a guy near me that has kept his line going for a lot of years he gifted me my first beddy type and they just suit me so stuck by them  got a different type now but lining my we beddy bitch next week so hopefully back to my usual.

See, I think there’s a fair difference (in my mind) between a line bred / generation bred, lurcher to lurcher Beddy type, than a first x. It’s the first x Beddy whips I don’t get if I’m honest - you see tons of them and no patt x whippets or Russel x whippets and yet I don’t know of any proper working beddys but could find you ten other terriers by Monday morning to use .....

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, SheepChaser said:

See, I think there’s a fair difference (in my mind) between a line bred / generation bred, lurcher to lurcher Beddy type, than a first x. It’s the first x Beddy whips I don’t get if I’m honest - you see tons of them and no patt x whippets or Russel x whippets and yet I don’t know of any proper working beddys but could find you ten other terriers by Monday morning to use .....

Had a russel whippet when i was a boy terrible yappy we thing these lurcher have been line bred for over 40 years with the out cross added the last out cross was a full working beddy over a 29tts coursing greyhound that was the sire to my bruce hence his height 26tts then he went back over his mother  then a pup from that went over bruces sister just lurcher to lurcher for over 40 years 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, SheepChaser said:

Also why would a Beddy have a better nose than say a Russel - so few folk work Beddy a so must be less of a good hunting gene pool surely ?

I only got a little pup beddy but it's got a better nose than me older bull x s lol but I'm not a convert or gone kennel blind all of a sudden as I've recently bin gifted a haif x bull greyhound what I'm happy with 

Hope this helps?

1 minute ago, Black neck said:

I only got a little pup beddy but it's got a better nose than me older bull x s lol but I'm not a convert or gone kennel blind all of a sudden as I've recently bin gifted a haif x bull greyhound what I'm happy with 

Hope this helps?

As long as you’re happy, I’m happy ? 

2 hours ago, SheepChaser said:

Can someone tell me what you can get from Beddy blood that you can’t get elsewhere with more chance of it being worked etc? Genuine question, never really had much to do with Beddy x and don’t really get the whole thing. Other than the coat. 

Nothing! the gamble is the same as any cross it’s personal preference I like that there pleasing to the eye tend to have a good coat that can hide sins don’t advertise nothing an are well constructed for a bit of everything there not set dogs for jobs an they tend to have a good nose pretty good prey drive fit in to family life well an working life they can switch off from work I like the whole jackle an Hyde persona they have easy to enough to train. I think there the same as any cross they have there following they have there raters an haters. I’ve said before on here id never personally own a f1 id rather others do that part an all the leg work to see if it’s a good enough. I also think that most people that keep beddy crosses are people that have tried a few other crosses for what they do and just find that this cross brings them the most joy to work let’s face it the beddy cross is a beginner dog there pretty bomb proof Tho the problem is the same as any cross you gotta get a honest bred one from good enough ingredients the other problem with the cross is when you say a beddy cross everyone wants a f1 pea in pod finished article but soon slate the cross when they ain’t what they expected the problem was with them they picked the wrong beddy cross for what they wanted

• Like 1
46 minutes ago, nothernlite said:

Had a russel whippet when i was a boy terrible yappy we thing these lurcher have been line bred for over 40 years with the out cross added the last out cross was a full working beddy over a 29tts coursing greyhound that was the sire to my bruce hence his height 26tts then he went back over his mother  then a pup from that went over bruces sister just lurcher to lurcher for over 40 years 

That would be why they are handy dogs then, someone has put time into working and breeding a proper tested line. 

Funnily enough, the best 1st x terrier / whippet I’ve ever seen was a Russel x whippet, it was a machine, took more deer than you’d believe, mullered foxes, great on rabbits etc. 

37 minutes ago, poxon said:

Nothing! the gamble is the same as any cross it’s personal preference I like that there pleasing to the eye tend to have a good coat that can hide sins don’t advertise nothing an are well constructed for a bit of everything there not set dogs for jobs an they tend to have a good nose pretty good prey drive fit in to family life well an working life they can switch off from work I like the whole jackle an Hyde persona they have easy to enough to train. I think there the same as any cross they have there following they have there raters an haters. I’ve said before on here id never personally own a f1 id rather others do that part an all the leg work to see if it’s a good enough. I also think that most people that keep beddy crosses are people that have tried a few other crosses for what they do and just find that this cross brings them the most joy to work let’s face it the beddy cross is a beginner dog there pretty bomb proof Tho the problem is the same as any cross you gotta get a honest bred one from good enough ingredients the other problem with the cross is when you say a beddy cross everyone wants a f1 pea in pod finished article but soon slate the cross when they ain’t what they expected the problem was with them they picked the wrong beddy cross for what they wanted

Good reply mate. I just find it interesting they are so popular. I had a whippet once, absolute machine..... he’s been mentioned on here, and funnily enough was used to breed Beddy Xs, he had a great nose, was driven as hell and I honestly never found a situation where having Beddy blood would hve improved him, other than maybe the coat. I guess the bit I just find out is how many 1st x Beddy x there are compared to other terrier Xs and how few working Beddy there are compared to other terriers, it just doesn’t add up to me in my head. The more I think about it, the more I think that most of the positive attributes come from whippet and all the Beddy adds in a first x is a bit of jacket and to slow it down to it doesn’t get broke ? 

• Haha 1
13 minutes ago, SheepChaser said:

Good reply mate. I just find it interesting they are so popular. I had a whippet once, absolute machine..... he’s been mentioned on here, and funnily enough was used to breed Beddy Xs, he had a great nose, was driven as hell and I honestly never found a situation where having Beddy blood would hve improved him, other than maybe the coat. I guess the bit I just find out is how many 1st x Beddy x there are compared to other terrier Xs and how few working Beddy there are compared to other terriers, it just doesn’t add up to me in my head. The more I think about it, the more I think that most of the positive attributes come from whippet and all the Beddy adds in a first x is a bit of jacket and to slow it down to it doesn’t get broke ? 

I don’t think you can compare terriers to each other they all got different usage for different jobs used for Lurcher breeding mate the other types are used for different reasons look at bull greyhound the bulls or Wheaton not a catch dog of fox or deer until hybridise then your like hey up now we cooking we got a good strong dog fast enough with holding power or enough bite to kill quickly it’s like all raw ingredients they feck all till mixed together but most hybrids there’s always something missing it’s never ending like bull greyhounds most get put to courseing dogs straight beddys are feck all same as bull or Wheaton. It’s like if your a ferret man you not gunner get a f1 bull greyhound if your a deer man you not gunner get a f1beddy cross I think with Lurchers nothing is supposed to add up or make sense that would be to easy right an I think that’s the beauty of it we all get dogs what we personally think is right for our needs 

• Like 3