First cross Beddy Whippet

I have just retired my first x to a pet home with my daughter, was a good little ferreting dog, good nose,  great drive, decent on lamp but did lack a yard daytime, was a small bitch just over 18”, I put a whippet over her a few years back and they were better running dogs, I prefer the 3/4 bred whippet but a half bred greyhound would be better than half bred whippet in my personal opinion

• Like 2

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

putting her to a good Whippet, to get a three quarter pup for myself. 

not the best of pics sorry,bit hot out there for her with that coat lol

mines 13 months.marking at 9 months old.only caught 2 daytime rabbits so far.got her for ferreting & daytime mooching.this will be her first season come September. 

Posted Images

3 hours ago, SheepChaser said:

But who says a Beddy has a better nose than any other terrier, or more drive etc. 

1st x Beddy Xs out of non working Beddy a bred out of lines of non or half working Beddys.

Why are they used ? Is it just fashion? Habit? 

To retain the size in a lurcher x maybe? The digging types are mixed with other terriers to keep them small enough for earth work.show types have poodle etc in them making them that touch bigger? One thing I have always noticed is...Beddys have the biggest teeth you will find on any  terrier..... ? 

• Like 1

The thing is, as you just said, the original beddys used in breeding lurchers, would surely have been earth dogs, so smaller, more compact and very understandable to use, as they were a working breed. These leggier beddys that have poodle influence and have thin coats and dont work much, I think are just trading on the name. There are plenty of leggy pats and russels etc, you dont necessarily have to use an earth dog if thats an issue, I've a patter dale here thats a big lad and who will nail anything he bumps into above ground, he's taken quarry many times his size and weight, and will also pop to ground and bolt a fox if needed.

Wire fox terriers used to be very popular at one time, used to see loads more when I was a kid, not so much now! 

I bet there are still some decent ones about, probably more so on the continent?

Would make a handy dog crossed with a whippet, as would any driven dog really..... I guess

Just now, jpt said:

Wire fox terriers used to be very popular at one time, used to see loads more when I was a kid, not so much now! 

I bet there are still some decent ones about, probably more so on the continent?

Would make a handy dog crossed with a whippet, as would any driven dog really..... I guess

Lots in Hungary hunting boar, they are one of the more popular breeds.

9 minutes ago, jpt said:

We used one in the 70s great marking dog and would catch the odd bolter 

• Like 1
13 hours ago, nothernlite said:

We used one in the 70s great marking dog and would catch the odd bolter 

A friend of mine had one, late sixties. It really had the knack of nailing rabbits. Lived on a farm surrounded by rabbits so catching was an everyday thing for it. All the lurcher guys in my area wanted to use it over bitches but it was gay or something, never mounted a bitch, or even showed interest. Bit like me these days.

• Haha 2
4 minutes ago, jukel123 said:

A friend of mine had one, late sixties. It really had the knack of nailing rabbits. Lived on a farm surrounded by rabbits so catching was an everyday thing for it. All the lurcher guys in my area wanted to use it over bitches but it was gay or something, never mounted a bitch, or even showed interest. Bit like me these days.

as in gay :shok:

On 18/12/2020 at 06:58, Moocher71 said:

Lad I got my bitch from had his bedy tested for copper t ,all breeders should have pups tested but I never herd occurred lurcher having it ?

I had a 1st cross bitch about 8/10 year ago. Do not know if it was copper t. but at about 6 month she started having fits/seizures, had her checked over by the vet who said she was healthy. (i didn't know about the copper t then). I ended up giving her to an old lady as a pet at about 18 month old as it became apparent the exertion/excitement were triggering these episodes more frequently. If i had known about it then i would have had her tested because having now heard of copper t. I've often wondered.

Edited by hambone
  • Like 1