Over the years I,ve encountered quite a few grass snakes and adders but yesterday when I was out I saw quite a big brown snake with diamonds down its back, it was sunbathing on a grassie hump on some waste land, I tried to grab it but it went under the grass and traveled faster than I could clear the grass plus I had my three dogs with me which I was trying to keep seperate as I never wanted them to eat the snake or it to bite them if it was poison, during the brief encounter I could not tell if it was an adder or a grass snake so when I got home I typed both into google images and the same picture came up for both, this is the image what's people's thoughts, I,ve seen adders this colour but much smaller and grass snakes this big but with more yellow and black markings it moved to fast to spot the V on the neck to confirm it as a grass snake so I think I might of been trying to grab the biggest adder I,ve ever seen any experts out there what do you think 

image.jpg

32 minutes ago, Greyman said:

I tried to grab it but it went under the grass and traveled faster than I could clear the grass plus I had my three dogs with me which I was trying to keep seperate as I never wanted them to eat the snake or it to bite them if it was poison, during the brief encounter I could not tell if it was an adder or a grass snake so when I got home I typed both into google images

Quite the quandary! Last summer I was in the yard and I was watching the dogs sniff around. One of them noticed something in the grass and went to investigate. When I saw him move I literally jumped at him and grabbed his collar. Slid in the dust only to come face to face with a large native snake. At the moment where I was thinking "I immediately regret this decision" the snake turned away and disappeared under the shed.

MojaveProblems.jpg.8d09027166ad485c8e4a8b1d188e3e15.jpg

Like in your situation I had a split second to identify it. One is harmless. One can be deadly. Both eat rodents.

The moral of this story? Move your bird feeders!

They attract rodents and what eat rodents!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, greg64 said:

think the brown adders are females and the v on the head would confirm it's an adder not a grass snake

This is the thing I look for before I grab a snake it's the yellow thing on the back of its head,that's a real grass snake I,ve caught quite a few, 

image.jpg

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Arry said:

Have you looked up the Smooth Snake similar to an Adder. Never seen one myself supposed to be slimmer I think.

Cheers Arry

I just did mate and now you,ve confused me even more 

• Like 1

f***ing hell greyman.... Chasing snakes about like Steve irwin?I've seen a few grass snakes over the yrs that must of been about 5 foot or more in length, adders are fat and never seen one over 3 an half feet. An adder about 12 inches long bit my pals presa on the tip of its tail and was hanging on down his allotment. We got it off and spaded it......few days later noticed its  Tail started to rot away, my mate then docked its tail at the base as you would a rottie. Took about 2 weeks and we found the dog dead one morning on its chain...... Couldn't believe it, I lost a black dog yrs ago, was out mooching a big fern bank and heard the dog yelp, couldn't see any marks on it, put it in the box got home fed it, got up next day he was stiff in his kennel ?used to catch both for fun as kids along with slow worms and little lizards you would find warming on rocks along the railway line, put a plastic pop bottle against the holes on the concrete posts and poke a little stick in.... Lizards would fly out into the bottle lol. Not seen any in yrs mind. ?

• Like 1
57 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

Never seen so many reptiles as in South Wales, like ye say Dan find a sun trap somewhere an was common to find slow worms snakes an lizards in same area, when ever o visit me ma we go find some for kids, never seen any up here but never really looked to be fair 

Good spot on the dunes by port Talbot steelworks Don next time your down this way. ?

Sounds like an adder, but they not usually that big, I once caught a big one as a kid, didn't know what it was till me gramps made me drop it and chopped its head off with a spade, had carried it over a mile home as it was the prettiest snake I had ever seen ?

They are not deadly to humans, usually !!! But well easy kill a dog.

• Like 1

Some tourist up here picked two up for a photo. They duly bit him on both arms. 

His arms ballooned up twice the size apparently was in the hospital for a few days. 

Some folk are just dumb.