Barbed wire

My dogs 11 month old and he knows not to try fit under barb wire that’s too low however I’m thinking about taking him on the lamp soon for the first time and I think he’ll just run straight into it 

is there any way you lads get your dogs used to working around barbed wire? 

Any help is appreciated thanks 

I try to keep away from it myself I don't train to jump either of sooner lift a dog over it myself. But as for when the dog is slipped it's luck that's my view my old bullx went into wire fences a few times but he learnt to slow up near the edge of fields 

• Like 1

Just got to hope he learns for himself, tbh it’s going to happen at some point. Lurchers and barb wire is one of those things unless you can hunt somewhere with no wire....sorry if that sounds pessimistic but I’ve had so many dogs hit wire and need stitches 

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies lads.

think I’m gonna stick to just walking him on my permission for now then there’s no rush for me ??

One thing I did think of tho is working on his retrieve close to the fences.. what you guys think to that? 

2 hours ago, Hunter_Mat said:

Thanks for the replies lads.

think I’m gonna stick to just walking him on my permission for now then there’s no rush for me ??

One thing I did think of tho is working on his retrieve close to the fences.. what you guys think to that? 

You'd be better chucking the dummy over the fence of through it and see what he makes of it he will either stand there and look at you or go for but then you'l sort of know what to expect . Well that in my mind would work but I could be wrong there's alot of guys on here that would know more 

• Like 1

I was told when very young the old way I have had dogs for over 50 years get your dog doing day time first then you can lamp later old way start the dog day time first seems to work and all my dogs jump trained from young age.

• Like 2

get him jumping over safe things with no barb wire, get him sailing over walls, rails, plain wire, everything, you don't want him "touch jumping". Fingers crossed he'll do the same with barb and when you start running him

• Like 3

Thanks for all the advice everyone.. deffo gonna hold off on the lamp now.

one thing I have read though is that if you start your dog in daytime he could hunt up at night? 

Had him jumping a little 3 foot fence yesterday and he wasn’t touch jumping so hopefully that’ll stick ??

Thanks again lads ??

• Like 1