Big Cat Spotters etc .

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well, up until a couple of years ago I would have been with all the nay Sayers, they didn't exist in the wild in the uk unless it happened to be an escaped one from public/private collection and even

Nothing to do with cats but that reminded me of a story I read a couple of days ago,maybe sometime soon a big cat and the farmers skeletons will be found.................  

Dunno about medical help. Maybe a crash course on photography might help though lol 

Posted Images

Subject of cameras and ambiguous photos,I read this post on a bow hunting website,this guy has had many mountain lion,the part that's pertinent to this discussion.......if you have to try and convince yourself it's a lion it probably isn't.

I’ve been fortunate enough to get many pictures of lions on cams. One thing I’ve always found, is if you have to try and convince yourself it’s a lion it probably isn’t. With the amount of people that hunt with hounds, and set cams back east, don’t you think there would be a lion treed or unquestionable evidence?

28 minutes ago, South hams hunter said:

I get that Welsh, just find it funny every escapee gets pictured or caught but the ones people claim to see regular that are wild they get duck all

Simple answer would be the escapees are frantically looked for.  Where as any released ones from the past were done quietly and were never looked for . Possibly the fact they might be released miles and miles away from they're original home might mean something . The lynx in borth that escaped stayed around the zoo . Probably missing the other lynx in there 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, mackem said:

Subject of cameras and ambiguous photos,I read this post on a bow hunting website,this guy has had many mountain lion,the part that's pertinent to this discussion.......if you have to try and convince yourself it's a lion it probably isn't.

I’ve been fortunate enough to get many pictures of lions on cams. One thing I’ve always found, is if you have to try and convince yourself it’s a lion it probably isn’t. With the amount of people that hunt with hounds, and set cams back east, don’t you think there would be a lion treed or unquestionable evidence?

Is that from America ?

Yes mate he is from America,he is a guy who works hounds on big cats,what he is saying is most people want to see a lion so they convince themselves the distant blur or partial shape on their screens is one.

• Like 1
59 minutes ago, mackem said:

Yes mate he is from America,he is a guy who works hounds on big cats,what he is saying is most people want to see a lion so they convince themselves the distant blur or partial shape on their screens is one.

Yeah you can't fault that reasoning . And im sure big majority of cases are exactly that . Nothing I've seen online picture wise have made me think "yeah that's a if cat for sure".  But i wouldn't be cast iron 100% sure their isn't anything as some are . Like you said people are mistaken / want to join the bandwagon etc . But I don't think it doesn't require further looking into . There may very well be something out there.  Or there might be nothing . Both sides of the coin have there reasons and I'll quite happily admit im sitting on the fence . But I wouldn't paint all believers as nut jobs and quacks. Some obviously are but others see decent enough in their approach and if they have the drive to question whether theirs anything else out there I'll sit and listen and make my own mid up based on them not them as a collective . My dad claimed to have seen one when I was a kid and obviously some people said he was talking bollocks . Nobody knows my dad on here but me so I can't really describe or explain him to you but as far as im concerned he's not a liar or a guy to make up stories. It's just not the way he is . Now maybe he was mistaken or misjudged angles/distsnce/size of what he seen , I don't know I wasn't there . All that's a possibility . But maybe what he says he's seen was correct . Maybe he did see a big cat . I know for certain he regrets telling local people about it . All light hearted pisstaking in the pub which he can deal with no problem but still nobody really believes him I don't think . 

It's one way or another , im more than happy to see where greyman and his like go with there searching 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
2 hours ago, South hams hunter said:

I get that Welsh, just find it funny every escapee gets pictured or caught but the ones people claim to see regular that are wild they get duck all

There's loads of cracking shots of wild big cats in the UK, Greyman has a PM inbox full of them! It's just a shame not a single one of them can be shared with the public for some reason :no:

• Haha 1