Would You Take The Fence

3 years ago i moved into the house i currently live in. there was a hedge between me and the neighbours which they wanted removing and a fence put up. as they didnt have enough money to pay for it there selves i agreed to go halves on it as it would help keep my dogs in aswell as tidy the place up generally.

after lots of disscusson and being the good neighbour i am i brought some fencing, hired a digger to pull the hedge out, and got someone in to do the fence for us, to save money i just got a tradesman at mates rates and i done the labouring.

cut a long story short i let my neighbour pay me there half in monthly installments of £40 to which they didnt stick to and still owe me money. now i am looking to move sometime in the next few months maybe before xmas if things go to plan.

my misses thinks i should leave the fence but it will be needed at the next property.

i think i am more than entitled to take the fence and just leave the posts for there part payment, what would you do?

• Like 1

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sounds like potential for future aggro! I'd just leave it. What if they take exception to it and claim it was theirs? Who's responsible for maintaining that boundary? If it's them might that not stand

Got to be more agg taking it down and transporting than it’s worth mate , I’d wipe my mouth and not get to generous next time , if your going halves with someone it’s money up front .. Will the peopl

After reading this I still can't decide which side of the fence I'm on.

Got to be more agg taking it down and transporting than it’s worth mate , I’d wipe my mouth and not get to generous next time , if your going halves with someone it’s money up front ..

Will the people your selling to not be slightly pissed of if you have nicked the fence !

• Like 6

Firstly it would depend on who's fence it is legally. Then how would you go about it? Sounds like you need it until you move to keep your dogs in your garden so you can't really take it until moving day and I'm sure the new owners will have something to say about it.

Fences and boundaries cause nothing but arguments anyway.

You could give them the option of squaring up with you or you take the fence.....

the chance of that is zero i would say. they have had a installment plan they couldnt stick to. i didnt think £40 a month was much to ask for off 2 people working but obvously it was. other than the fence they are bloody good neighbours

Sounds like potential for future aggro! I'd just leave it. What if they take exception to it and claim it was theirs? Who's responsible for maintaining that boundary? If it's them might that not stand in their favour legally? Just sounds like a ball ache for the sake of a second hand fence and pride.

When I moved into my house I fenced all boundaries, whether I was legally responsible for it or not. Saved having to compromise with neighbours.

• Like 7

I'd say it would depend on which side of your garden its on and whether the boundry it sits along is the one that your property is responsible for. Also you might find the council charge you for a replacement fence because there will need to be something in place before they let the property to another tenant. Personally I'd wipe my mouth and move on.. :thumbs:

I ripped out hedges and put up a 6 foot double slatted fence right round the back. This was so the dog wasn't looking through as both neighbours have cats and the back is farmland and has sheep. All was great wood was treated. Now this summer I put fresh two coats of treatment on my side. However I never done the neighbours sides. I'm in a dilemma as I don't want the wood to rot and although they are elderly one has an unemployed son and grandson and they are constantly hanging about her house but would never think to lift a finger and paint it or cut her grass etc. Should I paint it or leave it. I don't see it tbh so it doesn't bother me and my sides well treated but I paid for the lot so don't like seeing it going to waste

Did you use pressure treated/tanilised wood? If so, no problem.

You could give them the option of squaring up with you or you take the fence.....

the chance of that is zero i would say. they have had a installment plan they couldnt stick to. i didnt think £40 a month was much to ask for off 2 people working but obvously it was. other than the fence they are bloody good neighbours

You'd of thought good neighbours would make more effort! I'd be very tempted to do the same as you & take them, but you have to weigh up how much hassle it will eventually be? Sometimes it's so much easier to swallow your pride & walk away............as I've found in the past ;-)

Depends how well you get on with your neighbour?. i got Lab to completely fence in my garden 2 mtrs tall double slatted had to ask the lot on the left if he could go into there garden as ive never spoke to them for 8 years he cut there hedge down put the fence up i paid him and they where going to pay for half of there side , Im still waiting on any money but i dont really care my dogs are secure and i cant see them

• Like 1

I ripped out hedges and put up a 6 foot double slatted fence right round the back. This was so the dog wasn't looking through as both neighbours have cats and the back is farmland and has sheep. All was great wood was treated. Now this summer I put fresh two coats of treatment on my side. However I never done the neighbours sides. I'm in a dilemma as I don't want the wood to rot and although they are elderly one has an unemployed son and grandson and they are constantly hanging about her house but would never think to lift a finger and paint it or cut her grass etc. Should I paint it or leave it. I don't see it tbh so it doesn't bother me and my sides well treated but I paid for the lot so don't like seeing it going to waste

Did you use pressure treated/tanilised wood? If so, no problem.

Yep it was pressure treated wood butbitbhas started to fade and fornthat lighter colour. My side is fine and looks really good garden looms tidy but I noticed hers looks a bit faded when I took the bin round a few weeks ago. Even tho it's faded will it still be ok ?

If it was pressure treated it will be okay for years , but once every summer i do the fence , shed dog kennels and ferret hutch so they all look the same and blend into the fence i bought a sprayer as it was 25 gallons and i was sick of it by the time it finished