Absolutely Heartbroken

I'm in bits lads. Got home from work last night, dog was jumping about happy to see me. I said to my missus shall i cut some wood for the fire and take the dog out with me for a wee. He was running around the garden playing with acorns chasing me about. Few kids were down by the main road and he saw them, bolted after them down to the road. I ran down trying o grab him, asked the one lad grab him if he comes past. He started running about the road trying to ply, i tried everything to get him over to me. He went by the side of my car and as he did a mini bus came up, i waved her down and she slowed almost to a stop and as she did he stepped out and his neck went under the back wheel. I got him out and he died in my arms. I had to walk to the house with him wrapped in my hoody. My missus thought i was winding her up at first. We are both in bits. How could this have happened just like that. Will never forgive myself, loved him with all my heart. My first terrier only 7 months old.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

feel for you darren, ive got 3 border dog pups that need working homes to go to. you can gladly have one if want, they will be 6wks this weekend all the best dave mac.

I wasn't after any particular work. He had just started to mark earths, go in bushes and i planned to try on the odd fox if i ever had the chance. He was my first ever dog so was happy just being out

You are not the first to make a mistake my mate as we have all done it, sometimes you get away with it and sometimes you don't, only takes a second to go wrong, I've lost 2 terriers on the road whilst

He was such a cracker. I feel like just packing the whole thing in. I am completely new to the dog game and it was lovely seeing im grow and come along. I've hunted since i was a kid but i just feel like after having him die in my arms how could i kill something now. House was empty thismorning when woke up, not a sound. He was from a good line from a man in wales and i dont know where to even go from here, which is the way forward.

It happens ,animals like us are not immortal,sometimes that's why a goldfish or pet mouse/hamster is good for a kid's pet as they teach kids life an death ,

When your feeling slightly better, contact the breeder explain what happened see if he is breeding again or knows of a similar litter available,

While your waiting think about how you can stop it happening again, atm we have a new post person who seems to leave our gate open,same as my stepson,I'm looking for a large spring an going to fit it,so you have to push gate open an soon as you let go,the tension slams it shut.as wife's puppy bolts through doors soon as it gets chance.

• Like 5

You are not the first to make a mistake my mate as we have all done it, sometimes you get away with it and sometimes you don't, only takes a second to go wrong, I've lost 2 terriers on the road whilst out working, both times bolting fox near a main road and another across a motorway, both older dogs that had done these places 100's of times before without an issue, the first my bitch of 9yrs bolted a fox near a road and both were killed, the second a bitch 6yrs old that had been worked all over the country in some mad places and got away with it was entered in a wood 200yds from a motorway, bitch bolted the fox and was out straight behind it, fox slipped into a land drain with my bitch straight behind it, it came up by the side of a motorway, the fox ran across all 6 lanes of the motorway without a scratch my bitch was hit by a truck going under the rear wheels barely a foot onto the first lane, gutted on both occasions but if you keep terriers you will lose a few working, I've dug to a few mates terriers that have been dead on breaking through and it happens you just gotta toughen up and although it does not get any easier when it happens you have to move on and realise accidents can happen and working dogs get killed from time to time, its no easier with lurchers either lost 3 down the years hit by cars running something or farm implements, but all these dogs would of had it no other way as they were ALL 100% committed to their quarry !! chin up and carry on, WM

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I contacted the breeder and he said he's gutted for us. I asked if he ever breeds again to let me know as there's not many people breeding workers around here. I will be getting a gate fitted properly, left such a hole in my heart.

so sad to hear of your loss, it happened to me a the start of this year. took my norfolk terrier to the vet

for what i thought was a routine job... he never came home fcuking cancer. he was only 6.

i had my new beddy who was lost with out him so went and bought a new pup 3 days later.

never can replace your lost ones, chin up mate hope you get a new pup soon.

all the best at this sad time

Edited by samuria

I'm in bits lads. Got home from work last night, dog was jumping about happy to see me. I said to my missus shall i cut some wood for the fire and take the dog out with me for a wee. He was running around the garden playing with acorns chasing me about. Few kids were down by the main road and he saw them, bolted after them down to the road. I ran down trying o grab him, asked the one lad grab him if he comes past. He started running about the road trying to ply, i tried everything to get him over to me. He went by the side of my car and as he did a mini bus came up, i waved her down and she slowed almost to a stop and as she did he stepped out and his neck went under the back wheel. I got him out and he died in my arms. I had to walk to the house with him wrapped in my hoody. My missus thought i was winding her up at first. We are both in bits. How could this have happened just like that. Will never forgive myself, loved him with all my heart. My first terrier only 7 months old.

What type of terrier was he Darren and what were you going to work with him ?

Got to pick yourself back up mate my old bitch died on my lap few months ago we had put a lot of game to bed together she was more or less my best friend Its the first season Iv started without her for a very long time ! Gutted for I know the exact feeling

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I wasn't after any particular work. He had just started to mark earths, go in bushes and i planned to try on the odd fox if i ever had the chance. He was my first ever dog so was happy just being out with him walking the hills and learning from him. He was a Lakeland cross patterdale. I have found a pup i am looking at tonight as i cant stick going home to an empty house and i need a positive focus. Arry off here is a top bloke, called me thismorning and had a chat with me which was lifting. If he ever invites you down take him uo he's a proper gentleman with a wealth of experience.

• Like 9