Virus Killing All The Rabbits

With myxi they build up am unity to it back end of last year was catching rabbits that were just getting over it.

So this year I think we won't get it, until it mutates to another strain of it.

Vhd on the other hand that spells death in 24hrs a lot of the time it happens underground so you ain't got a clue what's going on

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

never be another Nell, RIP mate

Out as usual this afternoon, theres this roundabout I pass on my travels, you cant see the grass fer bunnies, but now nothing, did our rounds of fields n woods, nothing, im going to wait now , and hop

happy days

Posted Images

The new disease is a bad but it has actually been around since the early 90's. Fingers crossed for a good year all round but sounds like it's slim pickings for quite a few.

That is the original strain of VHD, the 2 strain was only identified in 2010 in France and first typed in UK in late 2015, now considered widespread

Hard to tell till the cover and crops are down, lots of rabbits will actually live in maize and heavy cover and can be hard to say until later. Mixi has arrived in the last few weeks though but it does most years and some will survive. The new disease is a bad but it has actually been around since the early 90's. Fingers crossed for a good year all round but sounds like it's slim pickings for quite a few.

i was hopeing for that but crops been cut now for a week or so. still some about but nothing like early sringtime. hopefully they wont get hit by myxy also

Good few about beginning of last season but by half way through the season it was like Barron land on the lamp on my stomping ground.a good few hours on the lamp An a good few miles I could count the runs on my hands that the bitch had it was hard going to get the bitch runs in ended up hitting unsafe territory just to get the runs in ferreting was poor to it was a slow tick over but better than nowt. I've not been out yet on the stubble as the bitch as recently been key hole spade An also in the sick bay already after being attacked by 4 not under control bedlington x dogs while I was lead walking her nothing major just a few puncher marks but she'd be ready for a look in a week or so time she's not running fit but fit enough I should imagine for a few runs she'll soon shape up in full fitness I hope if the gears there to run

Went round a couple of fresh cut fields tonite didnt even see a pair of eyes. But was so warm i was dripping with sweat in just shorts & tee shirt so couldnt really of rundog if i had seen any she had her tongue out walking by my side!! Atb

Rabbit VHD could be called man made as it originated on a rabbit farm in China and has been spread by man to other parts of the world.

The Australian government deliberately introduced VHD 2 a while back and the land owners are now complaining that the predators are now turning to their livestock.

• Like 1

My spots got hit last year with a bad dose of myxi. Totally wiped everything for miles, dog only managed 6 rabbits last year and I was on the verge of packing in dogs and ferrets. Still might if my new permissions get hit. Farmers, gardeners and people that dont want lamping on their land delibratly spreading it here. I imagine their was a lot of lambs lost year as I was calling in foxes and could count 12 pairs of eyes within a couple of squeaks. Normally shy foxes were running in 2 and 3 at time.

• Like 2

One of our spots got hit with myxi 2 seasons ago and still hasn't recovered we were getting 500-600 a season off here when it hit we were lucky to see half a dozen, good job something else turned up, roll on this season

I'm reading a very good book at the moment called "The Rabbit Industry in Ireland" and there's a lot of info about who brought myxi into Ireland and the spread of VHD.

But it makes me sick when I hear of disease being spread deliberately especially when there's so many lads who'll clear them for free and in the past whole families where reared on them, and not too long ago either. When I was young we'd have rabbit 3 or 4 times a week.

People forget what the rabbit did for these islands.

• Like 1

Mate when I was a lad the old man worked on a farm this bloke would put 300 snares Down in a day and the old man and his mate would go and check them about midnight and lift any that was caught 6 days we lived on them times was hard then farm workers wages was crap

• Like 2

Out as usual this afternoon, theres this roundabout I pass on my travels, you cant see the grass fer bunnies, but now nothing, did our rounds of fields n woods, nothing, im going to wait now , and hope for a decent winter, some hard frosts, then I will give it some humpy, if theres still nowt doing, that's me done, I shant be buying any more wellies, cant grumble, ive had some great times in the fields,more so than most on here with me being 73, like ive said, its the dog I feel for, fek me , back in the 1950s, I used to go out at the weekends we a whip x grey and come home we a bagfull, I can see my parents face now, as I walked down the path of our home, beaming they was, meat for the table, and the neighbours, spose id best find missen another hobby, im not one for sitting on my arse, fek that, so tomorrow, im out on my bike, im a hyper active old git, there aint enough hrs in the day for me, im always doing summat

• Like 4