Advice On Swollen Foot

Had my 10mth pup out yesterday. gently exercising with my older dog on some newly cut grass fields, they were play fighting,and dissapeared over a dip on the field.when pup came back he was liting his back leg,got him home and checked him out. doesnt seem to be anything broken and he is not yelping in pain,lashed plenty of witch hazel and arnica gel on his foot, where there seems to be a lot of swelling,and will rest him up for a good few weeks,any other advice,apart from seeing vet.

I know there are a few on here that don't like em but if there's something wrong with the dogs I get them down the vet. Obviously there are good and bad vets but they are much better placed to treat an injury or illness than us lot! Don't want a 10 month old pup with a potential bad injury going in treated get him the vet.

I had a bitch with a similar problem good few years back I was told by the vet to lead walk her for 6 weeks and he gave her a course of anti inflammation liquid think it was loxicam or metacam only problem with metacam it's meant to be bad for dogs with collie in the blood she came alright in the end but it did take a while the thing that's on your dogs side is his age and young dogs bounce back abit quicker

Bit of junior ibuprofen. What's good for us is good for them. A little 5mil couple times a day. That will sort any swelling

human grade anti inflamitories are bad for dogs .......

• Like 1

Bit of junior ibuprofen. What's good for us is good for them. A little 5mil couple times a day. That will sort any swelling

The notion that what's good for us is good for them is not true. The canine body reacts very differently to humans, and the margin of safety is tiny compared to human dosage. Ibrufrofen is bad for humans too, if used too often, and can even cause stomach ulcers if use if prolonged. In dogs it is much, much more poisonous.

Read this:

http://canigivemydog.com/ibuprofen

If the foot has 'blown up' in a short space of time suspect black thorn puncture/wasp sting/ broken bone. Manipulating a toe yourself is not a good way to diagnose a broken bone as spiral or greenstick fractures are impossible to detect without x ray. Punctures which close over immediately are also hard to spot on the underside of the foot, but the particular chemicals in blackthorn remain, even if the thorn is no longer there, and cause swelling and infection within a very short space of time.

Hopefully just bruised but with a 10 month old pup with its whole working life before it? I’d have a very low threshold on going to vets if unsure, few quid now could make the difference between a lifetime chronic foot problem or an easy fixed problem with a bit of expert advice. Secondly with a 10 month old I’d also be keen to avoid having to plan a long layoff at the beginning of its first season, time when it could be gaining fitness and some experience of the role it is going to do for the next few years. If you have a good vet they should go through what they do and why they do it with their examination of the foot which will set you in good stead for future problems, basically take it as a good opportunity to learn.

• Like 1
  • 4 months later...