• Replies 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I will donate this camera to your cat hunting if you would like it  lumix fz72 60x zoom 

Was out for a walk with the dogs this morning, bumped into a fellow I sort of know through a lot of common interests we often stop for a chat,he hunts a bit and likes his old cars I have something for

Just re reading the whole thread and you’ve come under some real stick mate .Apologies for my part .Doesn’t mean I’m a believer just embarrassing some of the comments 

Posted Images

10 minutes ago, Greyman said:

I think it was the release of thousands of mink that caused the demise of the watervole population as they were able to follow them into there burrows and wipe them out the balance is now swinging back as otters won’t share water with mink and as they have returned and spread the mink are being wiped out by the otters, nature suffers not feast nor famine leave it alone and it will maintain a natural balance, when I had a lake on the Somerset levels in the late 90s I would suffer otter attacks whenever the rivers were in flood and I’ve only seen polecats in woodland not on the canal ?

I don't believe it was just the Mink mate. That metal stanchioning denied the voles access to there burrows along miles upon miles of canal, Otters are far more common than the average person on the street would believe, A lot like the big cat discussion. Its the same with Muntjac around here, its loaded with them yet i know people who have lived around here for years and years who when asked will tell you they have never seen one and almost call you a liar when you tell them there are loads ?

11 minutes ago, paulus said:

I don't believe it was just the Mink mate. That metal stanchioning denied the voles access to there burrows along miles upon miles of canal, Otters are far more common than the average person on the street would believe, A lot like the big cat discussion. Its the same with Muntjac around here, its loaded with them yet i know people who have lived around here for years and years who when asked will tell you they have never seen one and almost call you a liar when you tell them there are loads ?

There is a field I walk through with the dogs in daytime regular and never seen a deer or much sign odd little slot but not much more had a little look in there the other night and there must have been 20 munties in there fascinating little things but your right about people not noticing what goes on around them, on my morning walk today I took the dogs somewhere we normally have a few squirrels but never saw one until I started scanning the tree tops and there they are laying out on branch’s on the sunny side of the trees getting a little bit of warmth from the sun it’s something I will look out for in the future in cold clear weather, it’s something I really like about being on the boat I notice so many more little subtle things than I did when I was a town dweller, have loads of watervoles here as well ??

23 minutes ago, paulus said:

I don't believe you.

• Haha 2
8 minutes ago, Greyman said:

There is a field I walk through with the dogs in daytime regular and never seen a deer or much sign odd little slot but not much more had a little look in there the other night and there must have been 20 munties in there fascinating little things but your right about people not noticing what goes on around them, on my morning walk today I took the dogs somewhere we normally have a few squirrels but never saw one until I started scanning the tree tops and there they are laying out on branch’s on the sunny side of the trees getting a little bit of warmth from the sun it’s something I will look out for in the future in cold clear weather, it’s something I really like about being on the boat I notice so many more little subtle things than I did when I was a town dweller, have loads of watervoles here as well ??

At the bottom of our garden is a bank of woodland, whilst i am standing at the back patio doors having a fag, i try to count the number of pigeons in the trees directly behind us, Now bear in mind all the leaves have fallen and pigeons are blue, I will start by spotting three by the time i am ready to chuck my dog end in the bucket i am usually well past the dozen mark, Squirrels are easier to spot laying up in trees by just concentrating on looking for slight tail movement, When we use to shoot the dray in February They would shoot out, up and then become motionless. 

53 minutes ago, Greyman said:

I think it was the release of thousands of mink that caused the demise of the watervole population as they were able to follow them into there burrows and wipe them out the balance is now swinging back as otters won’t share water with mink and as they have returned and spread the mink are being wiped out by the otters, nature suffers not feast nor famine leave it alone and it will maintain a natural balance, when I had a lake on the Somerset levels in the late 90s I would suffer otter attacks whenever the rivers were in flood and I’ve only seen polecats in woodland not on the canal ?

They seem to have little or no effect on the mink here. Where you find mink tracks, you'll probably find Otter too. 

• Like 1

In the states otter and mink are found on the same stretches so why not here .Too many old wives tails from old fish wives I’m afraid ???

Back to cats then .Do they displace any carnivores here as I’m told the fox population is at an all time high .Badgers not so but that’s man made .Did see one last night out in the frost and sort of felt a bit sorry it as it snuffled for anything near a chicken shed .Surprised he hasn’t tried a break in tbh .

18 minutes ago, EDDIE B said:

They seem to have little or no effect on the mink here. Where you find mink tracks, you'll probably find Otter too. 

It’s a slow process but I’ve had a boat here for 13 years and we’re i used to see mink regularly and otters very rarely it’s now very rare I don’t see a few otters and lots of sign but have not seen a mink in years so be patient also if your out early there are voles everywhere the balance has been restored ?

9 minutes ago, foxdropper said:

In the states otter and mink are found on the same stretches so why not here .Too many old wives tails from old fish wives I’m afraid ???

Back to cats then .Do they displace any carnivores here as I’m told the fox population is at an all time high .Badgers not so but that’s man made .Did see one last night out in the frost and sort of felt a bit sorry it as it snuffled for anything near a chicken shed .Surprised he hasn’t tried a break in tbh .

Cats do take fox’s and a few years back had a few suspect badger kills as well though none since the cull roll out so maybe they were just taking advantage of an abundant food source, you will also be pleased to here that I spoke with rick earlier and he is trying to get consent to release some footage of an adult cat with two younger ones in tow you will obviously be notified if and when it happens for your perusal ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have shot mink bolted them with the ferrets JR's nailed a few and bugger do they stink afterwards the JR's that is. Even followed mink hounds on a tributary of the Dart the Harbourne where they caught within an hour. Don't see them at all no more now there are otters about. So imo there is some connection with otters coming back.

Cheers Arry

• Like 2
  • paulus locked this topic