Rough, Broken Or Smooth?

a rough coat can hide a lot of sins,but more important is the quality of the coat, theres rough coats

that are crap same as some smooth, some bedlington coats are rough but offer little protection when wet

a Labrador type coat will keep warm,or a short thick coat. but more often than not keeping them cool is as important.

I can't see how a coat will make a dog good or bad though in as much as ability, other than keeping warm or dry.

• Like 1

I ain't bothered aslong as it works best thing about a rough dog is it can hide any marks the dogs got off that nasty barbed wire darn stuff terrible when it get them on the face and stuff ?

• Like 1

agree with ray,,,i have always thought the lab coat to be about perfect,,if you could get a lurcher with one,,,

most of mine have been smooth,,,,but i agree with northenlight about hill work,,,,that little smooth whippet cross thing of mine suffers on them hills in winter waiting for a bolt,,,not so bad lamping as your always on the go,,,but ferreting,,,she suffers,,,

I like the look of all lurcher types tbh looks don't kill though but a rough coat hides a lot and helps hell of a lot when the weathers coming down, nothing worse than a shivering shithouse trying to hide under your legs when out working does my head in

• Like 1

02721432-17B8-4450-8F99-CAE03F029049_zps

2 norfolk tumbler x'es. Yet there coats where completely different, the one on the left had a shite coat, wouldn't keep him warm in the sahara, skin like a tea bag and would tear in grass. Not all rough coats are what they look.

One on the right was a real thick dense coat struggled in summer with the heat even after bein hand stripped.

A lot of staghounds here have rough coats and work in pretty hot conditions,I think its more the climate they evolved in than coat type as seen smooth coated whippet types knock up quick in the heat,but that might be from not pacing themselves as good.