Brickies

most shit brickys ive seen always have them enormous witches hat trowels or a fatmax level

Made me laugh, I remember I was about 24 and bought my first Marshaltown trowel I had just started a new site and was put to work with a chap in his sixties. I remember being really pissed off that they had put me to work with him. He had an old WHS trowel that was so worn it fitted in the top pocket of the blazer he wore.

We were working on a brick gable end so started building our quoins, before I finished mine he was lighting his pipe waiting to put the tingle in. I finished my quoin and we put the tingle in and off we went before I got to the tingle he was there again lighting his pipe, so I thought 'feck this I will show him' I speeded up to as fast as I could while still doing tidy work, and he was still at the tingle lighting his pipe when I got there.

I could not believe that an old chap with a trowel no bigger than a fecking spoon could be so fast, so next course I watched him, he did not waste a drop of compo each trowel was enough to lay one brick and perp the next one. I learned a lot just watching him lay bricks.

TC

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If I were a brickie and got paid for openings as well I'd specialize in the front walls of garages.

there's alot of people like that in the building trade not just brickies and they are raising tbe retirement age doesn't make sense

Aye, retirement age should match the wear and tear on your body over the years. Somebody doing a desk job can work a lot longer than an outside worker. Guys on hard graft outside jobs should get the

That's a great story. Now I might be being a thick twat here. But why was there a tingle in the middle? Was that the crack then??

Two reasons for the tingle, the main one was to stop line sag and keep on gauge. The other was to make sure the lazy bugger you were working with did the same amount of work as you.

TC

That's a great story. Now I might be being a thick twat here. But why was there a tingle in the middle? Was that the crack then??

Two reasons for the tingle, the main one was to stop line sag and keep on gauge. The other was to make sure the lazy bugger you were working with did the same amount of work as you.

TC

yup i used to have a pionting trowel for laying.the old tingle rarly used nowadays,since the expansion joints fashion.just pull a 9 mtr flank off the corner profile to the expansion.its the dinging up were most brickies let them selves down