Deepwater Horizon The Film

I knew it was going to be crap....why does Hollywood always have to dramatise something that is already dramatic? You don't get many films set on oil rigs and it would have been cool if they'd done a better job showing life on a rig.

The way they acted was ridiculous from the minute the helicopter landed, they stroll off the chopper and walk in to the ops room where no one has a clue what is going on ha ha....morning reports tell you in intricate detail what the operations have been over the last 24 hours, they would have known the Schlumberger crew had left without doing the cement job, they would be doing legnthy handovers or have loads of notes to read through.

Mark Walhburg plays an electrician, apparently every time you need to know whats going on in a critical well control situation you would ask the rig electrician what he thinks lol....in fact I was amazed because in my experience you can never find the electrician as he's always hiding somewhere :D There are a few slightly interesting bits and they give you an idea of how challenging it is to drill in such deep water, you get to see the BOPs on the sea bed and the beginning of the accident is quite realistic especially as the mud shoots up through the derrick...unfortunately that is where reality gets left behind and it turns in to an action film. It's basically good crew versus evil oil company which is not reality since all the companies involved were at fault.

I'm watching it again because it's so rediculous

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

37 years and not cut his finger once, you watching Socks

What happened to Nik B who started this thread. ...did the alt left catch up with him ? 

If you like films based on true events then Sully and Bridge of Spies are decent, both starring Tom Hanks.

I knew it was going to be crap....why does Hollywood always have to dramatise something that is already dramatic? You don't get many films set on oil rigs and it would have been cool if they'd done a better job showing life on a rig.

The way they acted was ridiculous from the minute the helicopter landed, they stroll off the chopper and walk in to the ops room where no one has a clue what is going on ha ha....morning reports tell you in intricate detail what the operations have been over the last 24 hours, they would have known the Schlumberger crew had left without doing the cement job, they would be doing legnthy handovers or have loads of notes to read through.

Mark Walhburg plays an electrician, apparently every time you need to know whats going on in a critical well control situation you would ask the rig electrician what he thinks lol....in fact I was amazed because in my experience you can never find the electrician as he's always hiding somewhere :D There are a few slightly interesting bits and they give you an idea of how challenging it is to drill in such deep water, you get to see the BOPs on the sea bed and the beginning of the accident is quite realistic especially as the mud shoots up through the derrick...unfortunately that is where reality gets left behind and it turns in to an action film. It's basically good crew versus evil oil company which is not reality since all the companies involved were at fault.

Would you like them to sit you through their tedious safety briefings for the entirety of the film to make it more realistic..... ??

Would you like them to sit you through their tedious safety briefings for the entirety of the film to make it more realistic.....

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Well I like Red Adair !

We had a crew on a rig that exploded in Algeria those guys came to fight the fire, it took 6+ months to put it out, the circumstances were quite similar to Deepwater Horizon except it was on land, lots of stupid shortcuts and 3 people got killed. Those red Adair guys much be nuts lol

I had a video of it one of our guys took just after the explosion, it sounds like a gigantic jet engine it's insane, I'll see if I can find it.

• Like 1

bridge of spys is a good watch

I'll have to find that after I finish laughing my ass off at this joke.

"woohoo lets pump up all that mud" You don't pump it up! You displace it Grrrrr :laugh:

I work with a woman who was on this rig, she was part of the Schlum crew and they depict her as part of the crew leaving right at the beginning, she also was summoned to give evidence in the hearing, I was very bored last night and read the full report :laugh:

Not making light of the disaster it just pisses me off they have to make it 'more exciting' and exaggerate everything. It must have been terrifying to be on that rig....I was on one that has a very small explosion that damaged the generator, we got woken up with the alarms going off and only emergency lighting....with no power it started listing because one of the legs was leaking and they couldn't pump the water out LOL