Collie Greyhound Crosses

I had a collie x from Hancock and she put me to the test was hard work and as we started to bond end of last season and she started working tidy she got hit by a car and I'm not ashamed to admit I shed a tear she was turning into a real handy bitch and was electrically fast would made a handy lamping bitch but don't think she would of retrieved foxes she didn't have it mentally ! Sort of pushed me away from collie x tbh

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The brindle bitch on the left, 3/4 greyhound 1/4 collie, I had mainly for coursing during late 70's through early 80's.     Below are, dog 1/2 cross, (dead now), Pup, a Hancock bred, roughly 1/4

Anyone else have collie hounds? Have kept them before but I decided I'd get a bitch from a well bred litter I knew of , she's 14" tts and 10 weeks old.    

Posted Images

I had a collie x from Hancock and she put me to the test was hard work and as we started to bond end of last season and she started working tidy she got hit by a car and I'm not ashamed to admit I shed a tear she was turning into a real handy bitch and was electrically fast would made a handy lamping bitch but don't think she would of retrieved foxes she didn't have it mentally ! Sort of pushed me away from collie x tbh

I don't deliberately go after foxes these days but if I did want a collie cross for foxing I'd try to find a litter from foxing parents and I'd choose a dog rather than a bitch.

Having said that, the bitch in my first picture self entered to fox and was always keen.

I have two with collie in the mix the mum an I bred abut more collie into the daughter. A couple off boys off here have pups. They've been testing interms of skittish of nature a lot of confidence building. The mums probs been my best all rounder to date an the daughter hasn't reached heights yet but is putting s few things to bed

• Like 1

I don't deliberately go after foxes these days but if I did want a collie cross for foxing I'd try to find a litter from foxing parents and I'd choose a dog rather than a bitch.

Having said that, the bitch in my first picture self entered to fox and was always keen.

I only went to Hancock and I wanted a collie x and couldn't find one anywhere else and I only really tend to keep bitches ! I don't think collie temp suits me I like dogs to love their work and constantly work most the collie Iv seen can be a stroppy b*****ds and have days where they can't be arsed the Bullx I have here now and going to add beddy to them in the future
  • Like 2

Nice pictures maximus from the halcyon days, out hunting without worrying about who's watching.

Collie crosses are good genuine dogs, but they aren't for novice owners or hard handed people, shout or hit them or even just threaten too and your wasting your time.

• Like 2

Anybody have a collie X that they used just for foxes? Preban of course

I know of one used just for fox and deer. Was a Hancock too. The fella isn't on here any more though and the dog killed himself after about 4 seasons.

Anybody have a collie X that they used just for foxes? Preban of course

I know of one used just for fox and deer. Was a Hancock too. The fella isn't on here any more though and the dog killed himself after about 4 seasons.
I know the same dog main reason I had my bitch out the same sire !! There are collie xs that will make fox dogs

Nice pictures maximus from the halcyon days, out hunting without worrying about who's watching.

Collie crosses are good genuine dogs, but they aren't for novice owners or hard handed people, shout or hit them or even just threaten too and your wasting your time.

.... and the half crosses aren't usually very fast so most folk don't have the patience or knowledge of how to get the best out of them but they can still be quite athletic. Once near Horncastle, the black 1/2 cross dog in the pictures put three hares into a 15 foot gate net at once in one sweep of a field of beet in daylight. No hedges or fence, just 3 ft wide drains either side of the gate and a good strong "trod" running out. He also caught the occasional one in a straight run, both fen and field but that was more the exception than the rule.

Hares can see 360 degrees and if a dog is close behind they seem to concentrate behind rather than where they're going. Deer can be the same and will sometimes run into bushes or fences that they could easily have jumped or run around.

• Like 2

I know of a few dogs, collie xs taking all quarry.

I went for Hancock bred pup off merlin as that line of border are producing decent fox dogs and good all round dogs in general. Arthur produces the half x borders, which is merlin sire,merlin produces 3/4 bred.

The Arthur/merlin bred stuff is throwing good dogs consistently. Can't really say the are one offs as there's various boys up in Scotland down to Cornwall running them with good success. But that's my opinion.