Working Salukis

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi Kate, As you suggested, the best thing to do is to go to as many lurcher shows as you can, and talk to as many people as you can. Some will know nothing but tell you they do. Others, less forward,

I reckon Kate b has been on here before and has a sack bigger than you your will be playing conkers in the lay-bys

To the people who are slagging the OP off: just for once, stop your trolling. There are still genuine people out there who come on here looking for the information they so badly want. And if, just may

Posted Images

Katie B, welcome to THL.

I don't know if you are aware of this but I believe Skycat is also a women of the female variety. I don't know for sure but if she is who I think then she is an extremely knowledgeable, experienced and respected person who writes for a weekly fieldsport paper on the subject of lurchers. So you see the running dog world is not just the preserve of us chauvinists :-)

There are many folk on here who are far more knowledgeable than myself regarding the Saluki and maybe they are not ideal for someone starting out. I do think though that when choosing a type of dog any compromise can be a bad thing. the "second choice" may well be at a disadvantage from the start through no fault of it's own merely because the pup is not quite what your heart desired.

I wish you luck with your pup when you get it. You seem to be a genuine dog person already. However, when you bring a pup on and school it in the job it was born to do, usually in beautiful country, then work it as an adult ? My God, you have can have no idea of delights that await.

• Like 1

To the people who are slagging the OP off: just for once, stop your trolling. There are still genuine people out there who come on here looking for the information they so badly want. And if, just maybe, these new members are not genuine, then what have we lost in offering them some well-meant advice? A few moments of our time. No wonder the world is fecked if an innocently-asked question gets nothing but cynicism or sarcasm in response.

well said
  • Like 1

To be fair I had deer xs for years and love them but now I have a well bred dog off razor and won't go back , times change and you have to move with the times but I will say she has tested me beyond belief!!! If you want a dog with looks steady and can work to a good standard deer/collie greyhound tried and tested and then when you think it's time go and get a saluki X

• Like 2

To be fair I had deer xs for years and love them but now I have a well bred dog off razor and won't go back , times change and you have to move with the times but I will say she has tested me beyond belief!!! If you want a dog with looks steady and can work to a good standard deer/collie greyhound tried and tested and then when you think it's time go and get a saluki X

love this!

Katie B, welcome to THL.

I don't know if you are aware of this but I believe Skycat is also a women of the female variety. I don't know for sure but if she is who I think then she is an extremely knowledgeable, experienced and respected person who writes for a weekly fieldsport paper on the subject of lurchers. So you see the running dog world is not just the preserve of us chauvinists :-)

There are many folk on here who are far more knowledgeable than myself regarding the Saluki and maybe they are not ideal for someone starting out. I do think though that when choosing a type of dog any compromise can be a bad thing. the "second choice" may well be at a disadvantage from the start through no fault of it's own merely because the pup is not quite what your heart desired.

I wish you luck with your pup when you get it. You seem to be a genuine dog person already. However, when you bring a pup on and school it in the job it was born to do, usually in beautiful country, then work it as an adult ? My God, you have can have no idea of delights that await.

Love this!

Maybe it's the way she asked the questions :hmm:

Know your audience ;)

im sure she laughing her bollocks off at this lot

Know what - i'm doing my absolute best to laugh with you not at you. Because that's the sort of person I am ( no disrespect to the people who think I'm a creepy man who wants to get into your precious panties/a fur mummy/ an anti/ a communist mutant super-hacker invader from outer space!)

Know your audience ;)

Know what - i'm doing my absolute best to laugh with you not at you. Because that's the sort of person I am ( no disrespect to the people who think I'm a creepy man who wants to get into your precious panties/a fur mummy/ an anti/ a communist mutant super-hacker invader from outer space!)
or champion conker player
  • Like 1

Know your audience ;)

Why the slashes? Perhaps you are all of the above at the same time. :laugh:

Know your audience ;)

Why the slashes? Perhaps you are all of the above at the same time. :laugh:

Absolutely. multiple personality syndrome. The Fur Mummy From Hell has totally lost it and she's out to get you!:)

Boys and girls. In the end, I'm going to get the dog that I like and fate gives me. That's the way it works with dogs, just like husbands. Although it doesn't matter so much with husbands because they don't last (Live? woo hoo!) as long.

And you know, i'm tempted by the saluki because i think they are just like me - Georgeous, expensive, fussy, noble, aloof. And very, very fast!

Anyway, on a more serious note,I'm grateful for all the input. i've got lots more questions, like breaking to stock etc. I've had three pm's about litters coming up, and i'm really pleased by that result and i'm going to put my thinking hat on. And when I get me my bitch puppy I'm going to start inundating this website with pictures of her in big pink bows, ballet dresses and diamante fairy crowns. You have been warned! THL's reputation is going to be mud in the field sports world!

• Like 3

Katie B, welcome to THL.

Love this!

Actually, double love this! Thanks for giving me confidence.

I reiterate that I'm no expert on Saluki or crosses. I'm not in the insurance business either so if she starts chopping sheep or pulling down deer in Richmond Park it's got nowt to do with me.. Early exposure to forbidden animals very important :-)

• Like 1