Working Salukis

Hi. I posted earlier. I'm a new member looking to get a really good bitch pup. Someone messaged me and suggested I look into working salukis. Can anyone tell me anything about them? (yeah - I know - I'm obviously a bit of a newbie!) What are full bred salukis like in the brain department? I always though you need a bit of collie for that, although I have to say my darling late bitch Sulya hadn't an ounce of collie but she had plenty brains! If I could get anything with half her good sense and strength of character I'd be happy. RIP

all terrain the man had a good read a while ago bout salukis .... few good points about them .. my experience with them not full bred but crosses never had a dog more eager an determined to please its handler (could be wrong but think read that they choose an think they own you an there for try ther upmost. . an if brought home evan by you they can choose someone else in the house hold to own ) they choose you .. could be wrong ..... my taughts are they are used an crossed purly for wind tjm . atb del

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi Kate, As you suggested, the best thing to do is to go to as many lurcher shows as you can, and talk to as many people as you can. Some will know nothing but tell you they do. Others, less forward,

I reckon Kate b has been on here before and has a sack bigger than you your will be playing conkers in the lay-bys

To the people who are slagging the OP off: just for once, stop your trolling. There are still genuine people out there who come on here looking for the information they so badly want. And if, just may

Posted Images

well I'm thinking lamping but first I'll find the dog and then i'll decide what suits her. Dog comes first. I feel like she's already out there and just waiting for me to find her.... It's like fate. Only thing is want luck money with her and if you ask someone to give you luck money how can it be luck money anymore? Is that just an Irish thing or do they know about it in England and Scotland?

Sorry don't have a clue what your talking about plenty Irish on here maybe they know what your talking about .

Think youve made a admirer too lol :laugh:

For a bred of lurcher you kinda need to figure out what your wanting it for different breeding for different jobs , :thumbs:

Just to let you know, folks, the reason I came on this site is cos I was looking at getting a pup from Hancocks and then a whole lot of comments came up on the search from this site about they're just puppy farmers etc and I thought to myself - do I just want a manufactured pup? No. I want something magical and unique like I got last time and I thought I'd join up here and ask for advice from people who seem to know. So if you want to know what sort of dog I'm after I want a beauty like my Sulya with all her heart and all her brains that I could be happy to live with for the next 14 years and that if I bred her, I could home her pups with good working homes that don't just want to dress them up in a silly coat and show them off all over town. I'm not great on blood and guts personally but I really should have let Sulya have a proper go at it and I want my next dog to be good at doing what it was bred for. And I have no intention of getting any other kind of dog but a working sight hound, because those are the kinds of dogs that I love. So that's my story really. Any more jokes?

luck money might be a bit of a irish traveller thing, I don't know. It's where you buy an animal off someone - a dog or a horse say - and they give you back a little bit of the money you paid for it so that you should have good luck with it. Anyone here heard of luck money?

• Like 1

its all a big secret ... an fact youve only twenty five posts means your not excepted from the committee lol ... there not all that bad they just want few likes ha ha .. just bit banter waist time retaliating for now as they like sheep only takes one ... best of luck....

• Like 1

ferretess - Sul was about 26/ 27 inches. Quite houndy but with serious hind quarter muscles. But it was her character I liked best. She was NEVER an eejit and she knew what she thought about life. So on the work front, I plan to get a really good dog that I like and THEN start asking questions about the best thing to put her to. I quite like the idea of a bit of lurcher racing - no blood there! - but problem is that doesn't require much brains. And I want a dog I can respect. I know I'm a total newbie and I must seem pretty silly to you all but I am serious about this. And I don't want to get take for a ride by some puppy manufacturer.

its all a big secret ... an fact youve only twenty five posts means your not excepted from the committee lol ... there not all that bad they just want few likes ha ha .. just bit banter waist time retaliating for now as they like sheep only takes one ... best of luck....

thanks del boy. I'll just keep posting then shall I?? and Ive gotta say, some people on here have been really kind and helpful. And you know what - I'm enjoying wasting time here too. Its 14 July here tomorrow - today? - big party in France. And we can't even get into a town for the festivities cos of car situation. So I decided to spend some time looking into my next lurcher instead of going mad up some french mountainside ...... Oh dear. probably going to get some cracked replies to THIS post!

eejit lol so youve lived in Ireland and London holiday in France and know scottish slang lol

You do right by not just jumping into the first pup you see sit back and do research ask questions even if others think there silly questions , you'll find what you are looking for took me a long time to get my first lurcher the one in my avatar but she's getting on now and getting a new one very very shortly , so there will be plenty pictures coming soon :thumbs:

• Like 1

I admirer any lass that's into working dogs and kate I think a saluki grey off good stuff will suit you and yes we al heard of good luck money but us English are to tight to give owt back lol ,I lived in Dublin for a year and I do love the irish ,if your after a dog just go buy one from good workers put the time and effort in like you did with your last and you will be rewarded for your efforts ,you never get the same dog twice so just make the best of what you get atb bobza

Thanks Bobza! I was beginning to wonder if I was in the right place at all! I thought all lurcher people knew about luck money! But who knows - all I know about it is from Ireland! Thing is i would like a bit of breeding and a bit of brains and I do like a beauty. Once upon a time I lived in Russia for a while and I knew a great woman who had a load of working salukis there. I loved them. I think my absolute ideal would be greyhound x saluki x collie. But I'm open to idea and offers (ha ha - no DONT make the joke!) and I wouldn't mind a full bred saluki as long as it has been nowhere near the kennel club and its mother didn't do it with her brother like so many 'full bred' dogs!

eejit lol so youve lived in Ireland and London holiday in France and know scottish slang lol

You do right by not just jumping into the first pup you see sit back and do research ask questions even if others think there silly questions , you'll find what you are looking for took me a long time to get my first lurcher the one in my avatar but she's getting on now and getting a new one very very shortly , so there will be plenty pictures coming soon :thumbs:

Jeeesus Mary and Joseph! and I thought eejit was Irish slang! thanks for your kind message!

Hi. I posted earlier. I'm a new member looking to get a really good bitch pup. Someone messaged me and suggested I look into working salukis. Can anyone tell me anything about them? (yeah - I know - I'm obviously a bit of a newbie!) What are full bred salukis like in the brain department? I always though you need a bit of collie for that, although I have to say my darling late bitch Sulya hadn't an ounce of collie but she had plenty brains! If I could get anything with half her good sense and strength of character I'd be happy. RIP

all terrain the man had a good read a while ago bout salukis .... few good points about them .. my experience with them not full bred but crosses never had a dog more eager an determined to please its handler (could be wrong but think read that they choose an think they own you an there for try ther upmost. . an if brought home evan by you they can choose someone else in the house hold to own ) they choose you .. could be wrong ..... my taughts are they are used an crossed purly for wind tjm . atb del

You mean that they add saluki to put the strong lungs/stamina in the cross or what? Not used for what's going on in the head department then? And I don't mind a dog that chooses for itself. I like a dog with dignity! And do you know what, if I was a saluki I'd choose me!

Edited by Kate B

Perhaps it would be a good idea if I started going to some game fairs or lurcher shows and started talking to people whose dog I like the look of IRL - what do you all think? Anything good on in august that you can recommend? And also don't just want to rock up on my own so if any women members - that means not you, Bobza lol! - on this site have plans to go to a good event and wouldn't mind me tagging along it would be great. Obviously South East England is best for me, but I realise the South East is not the greatest working dog part of the country so I suppose I could go further afield....