Collies And Curs.

We grew up with collies and collie based mongrels, we just knew of them as farm dogs. They were mostly collie, but had splashes of lab, gsd, terrier to name but a few. They worked mostly cattle, guarded like demons and I don't seem to remember them getting ill or severely injured (unless it killed them). They looked almost like collies, and today I would class them as collie curs. I've had 3 lurchers that have been bred with such "collie curs" ideals, and they have all left a lasting impression. Not always for the good, but lasting all the same.

What are other peoples views on the what a collie cur is, and the lurchers bred from them or with them in their linage?

ATB, Trench

• Like 4

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

got a pup coming out of this breeding pure collie x coursing stuff    

I'm assuming your dogs were bred out of "poor" quality stock then Ray as are many Collie x's & that's a fact,get the right collie & you won't get any of that malarkey you speak of i can assure

My dads dog,,, DON. 5/8 collie in the mix, and he's no thinker... In fact total opposite, he was a kamakazee type dog rabbiting etc, full on, no reverse. Took everything aswell, and done everything,

Posted Images

We grew up with collies and collie based mongrels, we just knew of them as farm dogs. They were mostly collie, but had splashes of lab, gsd, terrier to name but a few. They worked mostly cattle, guarded like demons and I don't seem to remember them getting ill or severely injured (unless it killed them). They looked almost like collies, and today I would class them as collie curs. I've had 3 lurchers that have been bred with such "collie curs" ideals, and they have all left a lasting impression. Not always for the good, but lasting all the same.

What are other peoples views on the what a collie cur is, and the lurchers bred from them or with them in their linage?

ATB, Trench

My views are probably very similar to yours trench.

Estate I worked on years ago had a collie/gsd bitch that worked as well, though not quite as obediently, as the two lab bitches the keeper kept as well. And a couple of dogs we used to wander the countryside as kids, which were supposedly just collies lol, were always up for a day, or few, far more freedom as youngsters for all of us back then lol, of hunting, wandering and generally messing about and up to allsorts. Looking back, I sometimes think 'bruno, sam, sally etc, put to a greyhound would throw some cracking pups'. :thumbs:

• Like 2

i am not over keen on collie blood for the simple reason you have more chance of ending up with a dog that stalks rabbits. other than that the collie can ad alot of positives to running dogs coat, good feet, stamina, and inteligence.

Watched a few lab/collie types in the 80s work cover mark ferret in the 80s thinking the same way same as shaaark put back to a greyhound etc may have made some handy dogs in theory.

Seen a few shepherd x collies wouldnt mind owning,

Out of interest why was the collie x favoured over the pure collie as farm dogs was it because they was cheaper than pures or some other attribute?

I wouldnt say the cross was favoured as such, most were accidents. Though in fairness there were few sheep where we grew up and a dedicated herding dog was not needed. Just a more hard headed dog to shift cattle and keep undesirable vans off the yard. The collies were adept at it but the cur bred dogs always seem more stable in that role. And being from Yorkshire, they were cheep :yes:

• Like 6

i am not over keen on collie blood for the simple reason you have more chance of ending up with a dog that stalks rabbits. other than that the collie can ad alot of positives to running dogs coat, good feet, stamina, and inteligence.

and pick there runs, when getting tired , or there quarry :yes: , they ok when things are going ok easy runs, etc . i know few on here will say well my never did that, well my 4 did, its in there gens to use there brains , they are a thinking type dog, so long term they will call the shots :yes: Bryn my 1x collie x grey as always been like that, ok never stalked a rabbit, but will only run what he wants + when he wants. Now Buck my 1x alsatian x grey differnt type dog, he will do anything 1st, even tried or quarry, will tackle anything :thumbs: different mind set to collie. like been said drop gsd or bull in collie x back to a running dog you get good lurcher, but in pure form (no) unless watered down to say 1/4 collie 3/4 running dog .!!

:hmm:Collie lurchers,..the specimens that favour the herding dog,..both mentaly and physicaly,..will rarely suit the man who wants to go for game, in quantity on a regular basis....There are reasons for this,..one is obviously the physical limitations that a real colliefied lurcher has,..and the other is cerabal and akin to its primitive mindset....

Men who need something else,.should not venture into the oftimes murky waters and frustrations of the pastoral hybrids,...and perhaps instead,..choose a far more physicaly gifted and less complicated kind of critter,...and maybe live a happier and more contented life...

Plenty of varied crossbreds available out there...the sky's the limit...

For myself,..I made my choice a long time ago.....a bit too late to change now :thumbs:

Edited by Phil Lloyd
  • Like 7

and pick there runs, when getting tired , or there quarry :yes: , they ok when things are going ok easy runs, etc . i know few on here will say well my never did that, well my 4 did, its in there gens to use there brains , they are a thinking type dog, so long term they will call the shots :yes: Bryn my 1x collie x grey as always been like that, ok never stalked a rabbit, but will only run what he wants + when he wants. Now Buck my 1x alsatian x grey differnt type dog, he will do anything 1st, even tried or quarry, will tackle anything :thumbs: different mind set to collie. like been said drop gsd or bull in collie x back to a running dog you get good lurcher, but in pure form (no) unless watered down to say 1/4 collie 3/4 running dog .!!

at what age did you notice your collie x's started picking there runs? Did they do it straight away from when they were a young dog or as they got older and wiser they started to pick there runs because mabye they knew there capabilitys so they chose to not waste energy on something they couldnt catch?

• Like 1

at what age did you notice your collie x's started picking there runs? Did they do it straight away from when they were a young dog or as they got older and wiser they started to pick there runs because mabye they knew there capabilitys so they chose to not waste energy on something they couldnt catch?

about 4-5 year old, dont get wrong if you went to some easy places where there alot of rabbits, ive had few 30s with him, but if you went more local and 15 were hard earned rabbits, that would be it. he only push him self to suite him lol . over the years before the ban, ive had them colliexs chase foxes solo, olnly had one Blaze do them, but even then he hold back for the right hold, so lost few in that time, as said different mind set to a alsatian x grey they dont think so much about it, they just do it, what ever you bumped into. like phil said they ok for nice easy lamping, ferreting , bushing, very loyal dogs , but if you want bit more fire in there belly, dont get a pure , out x or like me differnt breed :thumbs:

• Like 1

ATB, Trench

you are describing my first dog that i had when i was about 7 or 8 and he died when i was sixteen. He looked like a collie crossed with a mongrel. He would only of weighed 35lb but he loved killing things.Mostly cats but his real passion was fighting other dogs which he did whenever he could,no matter what size or shape he would attack without warning.I did a lot of obedience with him and my biggest achievment with him was getting him to stand from the stay position (lying down) from a distance.Thats not easy. I could never break him from fighting or worrying sheep though despite giving him some terrible thrashings.He wouldnt hurt sheep but round a few into a corner and keep them there,nipping the ones that tried to stray. I still think about him all the time. I think he would of been a useful dog around a farm given the training as he was also a good ratter. He turned me to hunting/working dogs and changed my life.

• Like 2