Collies And Curs.

Not an expert on colliex or collie x Lurchers, however one thing I noticed over the years is every one Iv seen jack/spew/Stalk or pick it's runs was either unfit, pure shit at every other job aswell or had an injury. most were just unfit tho

What is your preferred type of lurcher wk? I'm not saying collie x's don't stalk or pick their runs, but I'v seen practically every type/cross do the same, and like you've said, most of those were down to lack of fitness, and the owners giving them unrealistic slips/runs.

Also, I have to say I've personally seen no genuine collie x pick it's runs, most of them being as keen as any other type for run after run :thumbs:

• Like 2

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

got a pup coming out of this breeding pure collie x coursing stuff    

I'm assuming your dogs were bred out of "poor" quality stock then Ray as are many Collie x's & that's a fact,get the right collie & you won't get any of that malarkey you speak of i can assure

My dads dog,,, DON. 5/8 collie in the mix, and he's no thinker... In fact total opposite, he was a kamakazee type dog rabbiting etc, full on, no reverse. Took everything aswell, and done everything,

Posted Images

:hmm:Collie lurchers,..the specimens that favour the herding dog,..both mentaly and physicaly,..will rarely suit the man who wants to go for game, in quantity on a regular basis....There are reasons for this,..one is obviously the physical limitations that a real colliefied lurcher has,..and the other is cerabal and akin to its primitive mindset....

Men who need something else,.should not venture into the oftimes murky waters and frustrations of the pastoral hybrids,...and perhaps instead,..choose a far more physicaly gifted and less complicated kind of critter,...and maybe live a happier and more contented life...

Plenty of varied crossbreds available out there...the sky's the limit...

For myself,..I made my choice a long time ago.....a bit too late to change now :thumbs:

DSC_2633.jpg

Fantastic picture ?

Not an expert on colliex or collie x Lurchers, however one thing I noticed over the years is every one Iv seen jack/spew/Stalk or pick it's runs was either unfit, pure shit at every other job aswell or had an injury. most were just unfit tho

What is your preferred type of lurcher wk? I'm not saying collie x's don't stalk or pick their runs, but I'v seen practically every type/cross do the same, and like you've said, most of those were down to lack of fitness, and the owners giving them unrealistic slips/runs.

Also, I have to say I've personally seen no genuine collie x pick it's runs, most of them being as keen as any other type for run after run :thumbs:

I honestly ain't got a preferred type, Iv had few different types over years and made a dog I was happy with out of most. Iv said it before, I'v never fancied the same type again when needing a new one, mainly as I'd be wounded if it wasn't the same, and we all know not all colliexs/bullxs/or whatever types aint the same. Iv been out with few lads over past 15 seasons or so as they come here for the bunnies, so Iv seen a couple more than a few different types run and Iv had a few types meself, including coursing dogx and a whippet I run on for a couple seasons for a pal of a pal. Fitness is a big part of lurcher work, yet I'll go as far as to say more than half Lurchers Iv seen out weren't fit, very few folk will ever know how fit a lurcher could be, I try hard getting mine fit for season yet I know they could be fitter

Yep, agree with alot of what you say, espcially about people not getting, and not really know how to get a dog properly fit :thumbs:

I still reckon more than 50% of the people with collie xs that have ended up stalking or quitting were tried far too young.

My dog is very collie ish and shows traits of a collie now n again just on walks but he is nothing of the sort behind something. But then again...Iv never rushed a dog

• Like 1

and pick there runs, when getting tired , or there quarry :yes: , they ok when things are going ok easy runs, etc . i know few on here will say well my never did that, well my 4 did, its in there gens to use there brains , they are a thinking type dog, so long term they will call the shots :yes: Bryn my 1x collie x grey as always been like that, ok never stalked a rabbit, but will only run what he wants + when he wants. Now Buck my 1x alsatian x grey differnt type dog, he will do anything 1st, even tried or quarry, will tackle anything :thumbs: different mind set to collie. like been said drop gsd or bull in collie x back to a running dog you get good lurcher, but in pure form (no) unless watered down to say 1/4 collie 3/4 running dog .!!

I'm assuming your dogs were bred out of "poor" quality stock then Ray as are many Collie x's & that's a fact,get the right collie & you won't get any of that malarkey you speak of i can assure you..people seem to think any collie will do to breed off but it just doesn't work like that I'm afraid..

• Like 9

I've been out with a few never seen them jack or stalk. Total opposite and mad keen. But they were well bred out of good lurcher x lurcher tried and tested. That's the difference.

Even don that Fuji has is about 9/16 collie and he would collapse before he jacked. Bred from a well bred lurcher that was proven over years.. And the collie he was out of was a proper worker.

If people came out with the ones I have seen would Defo have a different view of them in my opinion.

But we can only go off what we see with our own 2 eyes.

• Like 5

I honestly ain't got a preferred type, Iv had few different types over years and made a dog I was happy with out of most. Iv said it before, I'v never fancied the same type again when needing a new one, mainly as I'd be wounded if it wasn't the same, and we all know not all colliexs/bullxs/or whatever types aint the same. Iv been out with few lads over past 15 seasons or so as they come here for the bunnies, so Iv seen a couple more than a few different types run and Iv had a few types meself, including coursing dogx and a whippet I run on for a couple seasons for a pal of a pal. Fitness is a big part of lurcher work, yet I'll go as far as to say more than half Lurchers Iv seen out weren't fit, very few folk will ever know how fit a lurcher could be, I try hard getting mine fit for season yet I know they could be fitter
Yep, agree with alot of what you say, espcially about people not getting, and not really know how to get a dog properly fit :thumbs:

Ofcourse you agree, I'm always right lol

Oh I disagree with alot of what you say too lol :thumbs:

:hmm:Collie lurchers,..the specimens that favour the herding dog,..both mentaly and physicaly,..will rarely suit the man who wants to go for game, in quantity on a regular basis....There are reasons for this,..one is obviously the physical limitations that a real colliefied lurcher has,..and the other is cerabal and akin to its primitive mindset....

Men who need something else,.should not venture into the oftimes murky waters and frustrations of the pastoral hybrids,...and perhaps instead,..choose a far more physicaly gifted and less complicated kind of critter,...and maybe live a happier and more contented life...

Plenty of varied crossbreds available out there...the sky's the limit...

For myself,..I made my choice a long time ago.....a bit too late to change now :thumbs:

DSC_2633.jpg

Did you find the Aussie cattle dog (and x's) have the same 'primitive' or very sensible attitude?

I've never had one of mine stalk on the lamp. Though they have learned to run cunning, which I do admire. All have self entered to edible quarry before 9 months and its never caused them to jack. Having said that, I have only had one which I would class as a fox dog and that was back in the late '90's. the rest have run them and did a job but those self preserving genes have seen a bit of arse grabbing and teeth fencing. But I never kept them for that job.

Its interesting that someone mentioned the popularity/success of collie/bull crosses. The dogs I have seen that have been bred down from collie curs (as first crosses and then those bred down from them) have lost that highly strung nature of the pure collie, yet kept the mental capacity to work "smart" that I really have come to admire

• Like 1

Owend a few collie crosses, of different types, over the years and none of mine ever stalked but i've seen plenty that do. Like the mutt i have now, with a massive dollop of collie blood running through him, the ones i owned were fit and full of themselves and would bust a gut for gear.

They aint for everyone and need someone that suits the type.

A mate of mine has a skulking, sly, wall-eyed merle bitch now that punches well above her weight, all collie cur, she looks at almost everything that moves as potential prey, people included! She's full of herself, almost supremley confident in her own ability as a huntress.

Mine..

post-8037-0-08682500-1463252751_thumb.jpg

Owend a few collie crosses, of different types, over the years and none of mine ever stalked but i've seen plenty that do. Like the mutt i have now, with a massive dollop of collie blood running through him, the ones i owned were fit and full of themselves and would bust a gut for gear.

They aint for everyone and need someone that suits the type.

A mate of mine has a skulking, sly, wall-eyed merle bitch now that punches well above her weight, all collie cur, she looks at almost everything that moves as potential prey, people included! She's full of herself, almost supremley confident in her own ability as a huntress.

Mine..

attachicon.gif2016-05-14 20.04.12.jpg

looks dreadful! :thumbs:

• Like 1