Pistol For Humane Dispatch Etc Etc ?

Guest vin

A bailiff on a river that I fish has just got a pistol for dispatching mink. I arranged for him to go to my local RFD as I could not be there when he came to the area and left word with the RFD to sort him something suitable, if you want I can ask the RFD as I will be going in tomorrow what the pistol was that he supplied. Really not sure but I think it was a single shot gun.

Phil

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I use "combs" when I've rats, squirrels or mink in my traps. This gets them in a tight space and unable to move around in the cage. A tempest is more than capable then

Fair point, it would also look unprofessional if you need a second shot at all, but I do understand, it does happen.   HW45 then

Just a thought though, if it is tree rats you after or are the target of choice, you dont want to be picking up a mightly pissed off squirrel with one hand and bashing it with the other... it'll chew

A HW45 will do the job but expect to pay handy money for one as good examples fetch good brass as collectors pieces.

The Webley tempest or Hurricane are just as good and recommend by a certain conservation trust for dispatching trapped mink in cages.

I would steer clear of the co2 or gas ram types. There's more poke in a wind up frog IMO.

I would also look for a .177 otherwise you may end up with a ricochet in your face.

Personally I would forget the whole humane dispatch with an air pistol and opt for a good set of welding gauntlets and nice cosh.

I've used my Tempest .177, I didn't find it had the power to dispatch. Now I use a HW45.

A HW45 will do the job but expect to pay handy money for one as good examples fetch good brass as collectors pieces.

The Webley tempest or Hurricane are just as good and recommend by a certain conservation trust for dispatching trapped mink in cages.

I would steer clear of the co2 or gas ram types. There's more poke in a wind up frog IMO.

I would also look for a .177 otherwise you may end up with a ricochet in your face.

Personally I would forget the whole humane dispatch with an air pistol and opt for a good set of welding gauntlets and nice cosh.

I've used my Tempest .177, I didn't find it had the power to dispatch. Now I use a HW45.

To be fair I've tried a lot and wasn't happy or confident that any were up to the job. Hence the last line from my quote above.

A local lad near me does a very similar thing with the beeman p17 and hollow points at virtually point blank range and its lights out and I'm sure they are about £70? But if your in any doubt as Mark said, hw45 is the must nuts pal

A local lad near me does a very similar thing with the beeman p17 and hollow points at virtually point blank range and its lights out and I'm sure they are about £70? But if your in any doubt as Mark said, hw45 is the must nuts pal

Really?? A beeman!!

Really?? A beeman!!
Apparently so.

I had a quick look at them online just and they say it puts out around 3.2 ft lb in .177 so for small vermin at point blank dispatch it should in theory do the job but the extra whollop of the 45 makes a big difference I would think.

I would go round to his house and take a 6" nail. Ask to inspect the beeman.

Take the gun in one hand and the nail in the other and proceed to use the gun in any way you like as a hammer and drive the nail into some timber.

This would be better performed outdoors and obviously wearing full PPE.

I would go round to his house and take a 6" nail. Ask to inspect the beeman.

Take the gun in one hand and the nail in the other and proceed to use the gun in any way you like as a hammer and drive the nail into some timber.

This would be better performed outdoors and obviously wearing full PPE.

I've never owned an air pistol pal, let alone a beeman but my guess is...........they are not up to the job?

Just a thought though, if it is tree rats you after or are the target of choice, you dont want to be picking up a mightly pissed off squirrel with one hand and bashing it with the other... it'll chew ya face off.

Only if you grip it like a lady....

A Crosman 2240 pistol is one of the more powerful CO2 pistols. Still only one shot though.

Look at you discussing puff guns as you so eloquently say :laugh:

Haven't you some brass to polish or dog puke to clean up?

Is that right?

New hw45 are not as good as the old ones. I had one for few months but got rid. Lost alot of money. Over priced too.

They use a lousy excuse of a piston seal now and in 17 don't produce much more than the mentioned Beeman!

There's nowt wrong with CO2 pistols if you get the right one. No recoil, so more accurate than spring pistols. ;)

I use a Crosman 2240 single-shot .22 on magpies and rats out to 20 yards or so. It puts out around 6fpe in factory guise. Mind you, externally it's been pimped a bit... and in this guise it's deadly accurate.

2240HawkeS.jpg

The pistol I use inside structures is the Crosman Vigilante. Spits out 8.4-grain pellets at around 460 fps, for around 4 fpe, and the power can be increased slightly by adding a shim to the front face of the hammer. It has adjustable sights, and rails for fitting a red-dot sight or laser. It is accurate, powerful and cheap, and has 10-shot rotary mags. It would certainly do the job.

VigilanteS.jpg

• Like 1