Pistol For Humane Dispatch Etc Etc ?

Guest vin

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I use "combs" when I've rats, squirrels or mink in my traps. This gets them in a tight space and unable to move around in the cage. A tempest is more than capable then

Fair point, it would also look unprofessional if you need a second shot at all, but I do understand, it does happen.   HW45 then

Just a thought though, if it is tree rats you after or are the target of choice, you dont want to be picking up a mightly pissed off squirrel with one hand and bashing it with the other... it'll chew

Its a pity we cant use one of these! http://www.ruger.com/products/sr22Pistol/models.html The obvious choice for humain dispatch, and cheep! No chance of suffering as with a single shot low powered air pistol! The red model could be the only one allowed and just for humane dispatch.

I have a Browning Buckmark semi-auto 22LR, but you wouldn't catch me using it inside a structure! :icon_eek:

That's why I have the CO2 pistols -- for rats in me chicken shed, for example. No ricochets, and no holes in the corrugated iron! :thumbs:

Its a pity we cant use one of these! http://www.ruger.com/products/sr22Pistol/models.html The obvious choice for humain dispatch, and cheep! No chance of suffering as with a single shot low powered air pistol! The red model could be the only one allowed and just for humane dispatch.

I have a Browning Buckmark semi-auto 22LR, but you wouldn't catch me using it inside a structure! :icon_eek:

That's why I have the CO2 pistols -- for rats in me chicken shed, for example. No ricochets, and no holes in the corrugated iron! :thumbs:

Why? How do you think an injured horse/cow etcetera is dispatched if there's no vet immediately available? Usually shot at close range? Snared or cage trapped, yes outside if possible, but we are talking humane dispatch of a trapped/injured animal, not a regular occurrence as with dispatching for food or shooting vermin. With a light .22 ammunition load the power would be greatly reduced!

Why? How do you think an injured horse/cow etcetera is dispatched if there's no vet immediately available? Usually shot at close range? Snared or cage trapped, yes outside if possible, but we are talking humane dispatch of a trapped/injured animal, not a regular occurrence as with dispatching for food or shooting vermin. With a light .22 ammunition load the power would be greatly reduced!

He was talking about shooting a dozen rats in a wheelie bin, when they're trying to climb up the rifle barrel.

He's also talking about shooting rats behind skirting boards or squirrels in a loft, in someone's house.

He's not talking about putting a pistol to an injured farm animal's head under more controlled conditions.

CO2 pistol all the way.

• Like 1

There's nowt wrong with CO2 pistols if you get the right one. No recoil, so more accurate than spring pistols. ;)

I use a Crosman 2240 single-shot .22 on magpies and rats out to 20 yards or so. It puts out around 6fpe in factory guise. Mind you, externally it's been pimped a bit... and in this guise it's deadly accurate.

2240HawkeS.jpg

The pistol I use inside structures is the Crosman Vigilante. Spits out 8.4-grain pellets at around 460 fps, for around 4 fpe, and the power can be increased slightly by adding a shim to the front face of the hammer. It has adjustable sights, and rails for fitting a red-dot sight or laser. It is accurate, powerful and cheap, and has 10-shot rotary mags. It would certainly do the job.

VigilanteS.jpg

Often thought about getting one of those 2240 or king rat catchers .

If you want to go down the co2 pistol route vin I have one you can have. 177 with little cylinder magazines that hold ten pellets. There is a seal that's bust in it that needs replacing (I was told £50) to have it done. It's a nice bit of kit but I forget the make. Worth a lot more than the cost to have it done like

If you want to go down the co2 pistol route vin I have one you can have. 177 with little cylinder magazines that hold ten pellets. There is a seal that's bust in it that needs replacing (I was told £50) to have it done. It's a nice bit of kit but I forget the make. Worth a lot more than the cost to have it done like

Cheers Dom

Next time your down my way ... Let me know and I'll get the kettle on .

Ps

How's them ferrets doing ?

Cheers Dom

Next time your down my way ... Let me know and I'll get the kettle on .

Ps

How's them ferrets doing ?

Ok mate will do, I may be having a meeting down near donny shortly so will try and loop round.

They're doing great, little belters, although not seen as much action as I'd have liked!