Whippet Bull First Cross?

People have this thing in there head that you need a big huge bill cross for a fox , a fox is a small animal , I've seen full whippets kill a fox , in fact I've seen many dogs without even a touch of bull that I would consider ' light ' dogs kill a fox week in week out , we have a pack of teckels and that's what hunts the cover to flush to Lurcher ,I believe it is down to the dog itself if it wants to perform the task.

A lot of people on here bang on about size and weight you don't need a big dog ! Iv got a 23tts bullx bitch her and she's never failed ever had good bags of rabbits it's more to do with how much the dog wants it rather than how big it is
I'd sooner have a good big dog than a good little dog though AT
I would just like a good dog full stop haha
  • Like 3

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Very under rated dogs imo are the bull x whippet's

Bred a litter a good few years ago out of a Mike Brown bred whippet to a very well bred bull bitch I owned.It was exactly the same time that JP was breeding his first litter of pocket rockets.To be ho

This is a bull whippet with a touch of kelpie, not thick set pretty racey. Defiantly got the whippet take off

Posted Images

Ive seen whippets take foxes. A big heart will fit in any size of dog. But when you have a dog that possesses a punishing bite and hes fit enough after a run to deliver it then matters are sooner brought to an end. One bite from my old dog and a fox was finished if not immediately dead. The foxes own bite after that has nothing in it. Ive heard of these little dogs with the so called knack of killing foxes but frankly having been around a bit Ive come to respect foxes too much to believe it. Different foxes,different days,and a lot of dead foxes have a habit of springing back to life and legging it if they aint killed right.

• Like 4

I had a second gen 1/2 cross. As an out and out running dog he was limited. 22" and 50lbs. But for pesting duties I have seen few dogs as capable of shutting down its quarry or as quickly. In and around forestry and clear fell he was very adept at mugging game too. Biddable, with a good nose. I would have another like him in a heart beat. But the be all and end all of running dogs they are not. But then non are.

• Like 7

There's good and bad in all crosses ,All sizes big or small. I've seen 2 beddy x whippets what on a open forum I ain't discussing what they could and couldn't do but there wasn't a lot they couldn't. We're they freaks or just given the right amount of work to prove there worth. I can't answer that but it's when you try and replace them like for like is you realise how good your dogs have been and how hard it is to get another. Enjoy what you have while you have it because you'll never have 2 the same that's for sure.

• Like 5