Whippet Bull First Cross?

It's a dog for a job IMO. They're good 'foxing' terriermens lurchers and also good rabbit dogs. Anything heavier and they struggle but they are what they are. Can't fault their drive but they just lack the weight to do what a Bull/Grey would do.

what do you mean weight of a bull grey?

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Very under rated dogs imo are the bull x whippet's

Bred a litter a good few years ago out of a Mike Brown bred whippet to a very well bred bull bitch I owned.It was exactly the same time that JP was breeding his first litter of pocket rockets.To be ho

This is a bull whippet with a touch of kelpie, not thick set pretty racey. Defiantly got the whippet take off

Posted Images

Lads who own bull whips don't need a bull grey or they would have one...they shouldn't be compared...soon as bull is put in a sentence everyone thinks of teeth and bull greys...a bull crossed with what ever dog has so much more to offer...

It's a dog for a job IMO. They're good 'foxing' terriermens lurchers and also good rabbit dogs.

Anything heavier and they struggle but they are what they are. Can't fault their drive but they just lack the weight to do what a Bull/Grey would do.

what do you mean weight of a bull grey?
I mean a Bull/grey is bigger and heavier and gets the job done quicker.

One I go out with, is exceptional around a hole. But not so good of back of the van. Not quick enough it just Lacks speed.

Handle anything as good as a big bull x though and she's a single handed bitch.

• Like 2

The thing with this cross and the reason why a lot have they're doubts and negative thoughts about it is because there are better xs out there to do any aspect of lurcher work, say rabbitings your game a good whippet would beat a bullxwhip everytime, hares well it's not a xs which I believe u could ever call a hare dog, fox well you wouldn't put whippet in the mix if you wanted to teeth on a regular bases and the same with bigger game due to its size, that's my opinion on it anyway but what ever makes you happy is all that counts you got to feed the fukers ain't you ?

• Like 9

Fair play. The one I seen was great around a hole and even went to ground on numerous occasions. Also had a great temperament around terriers. But he just couldn't kill a critter though he would try his best.

Edited by Rabbit Hunter

Worst case scenario is an exciting, game little f****r that will give you plenty of sport and the thrill of watching them punch way above their weight and do things people just don't expect to see from a dog that size and when and if they tick all boxes and are from blood on both sides that is known to produce. They are a very valuable asset to x into whatever suits if a bigger faster dog is what u need in future. This is as honest as I can be about the 1St x bullwhipits I bred. And the lads that got them had / have enough savvy to understand that much. I would never try tout them as the ultimate dog

• Like 5

Thing is everythings a struggle for them, and they need all the odds stacked in there favour when trying to preform a normal Lurchers task,, and you will almost always have to step in and end matters when foxes are unlucky enough to be caught by these little dogs,, and if it did manage to do the job it's self, it will probably be in a sorry state and the chances are it wouldn't get near another that same day/night,, so it say a lot for the lads that try and compare them with proper Single handed Lurchers..

Thing is everythings a struggle for them, and they need all the odds stacked in there favour when trying to preform a normal Lurchers task,, and you will almost always have to step in and end matters when foxes are unlucky enough to be caught by these little dogs,, and if it did manage to do the job it's self, it will probably be in a sorry state and the chances are it wouldn't get near another that same day/night,, so it say a lot for the lads that try and compare them with proper Single handed Lurchers..

I saw a bull whippet pre ban that would kill a fox as good as any lurcher and didn't get a mark on it. Something tells me this wasn't a one off. But I could be wrong.

• Like 1

I've had big dogs that were shit , big dogs that were good , and small dogs the same , a dog makes there own name , I don't compare crosses for the simple fact that a dog is what it is and once the dog does its job and has good lineage so it can be bred it shouldn't bother anyone , I've heard good things about this cross so I said I'd give it a try and in all fairness to brenner I don't think you could get a better bred bull whippet if you tried , the dog I have is full of guts and is a good steady pup , takes to training brilliantly ( jumping , retrieving , sitting , staying perfectly ) , I can't ask for much more from him at the moment but I have to say he is a very forward pup.

I saw a bull whippet pre ban that would kill a fox as good as any lurcher and didn't get a mark on it. Something tells me this wasn't a one off. But I could be wrong.

I bred a litter of first crosses at exactly the same time as the first litter of pocket rockets were produced.The birch I bred them from was a well worked bulldog down from some of the most competitive lines in the UK over the last 20yrs and the dog was a half brother to the dog that JP was using to produce his pups he was a big strong 22 1/2 inch whippet with plenty of fire about him.None of the pups were fast enough to be really successful at anything if they did catch anything it would be more because everything was stacked in their favour and if they did catch a fox they had the guts for it but like Tallywacker said it was a messy affair and if left to finish the job it would have been cruel to expect them to do another one the same day.I also know a few lads very well that have been around JP'S dogs as well as seeing a couple down from his dogs and none of them faired any better.
  • Like 2

I bred a litter of first crosses at exactly the same time as the first litter of pocket rockets were produced.The birch I bred them from was a well worked bulldog down from some of the most competitive lines in the UK over the last 20yrs and the dog was a half brother to the dog that JP was using to produce his pups he was a big strong 22 1/2 inch whippet with plenty of fire about him.None of the pups were fast enough to be really successful at anything if they did catch anything it would be more because everything was stacked in their favour and if they did catch a fox they had the guts for it but like Tallywacker said it was a messy affair and if left to finish the job it would have been cruel to expect them to do another one the same day.I also know a few lads very well that have been around JP'S dogs as well as seeing a couple down from his dogs and none of them faired any better.

What sort of size did they end up out of interest?

What sort of size did they end up out of interest?

20-22inches and 38-42lb but when you compared them to a 23inch 55lb bull greyhound they looked tiny and we're a lot shorter coupled.