Plummer Cross Bedlington Terrier

When you say you ran a line of 1st cross and second cross mate are you referring to a succession of first cross ,2nd cross matings bred for purpose or do you mean 1`,2,3,4 gens etc of first cross,2nd cross breeding true .

I only ever went 2 generations as it was too unpredictable after that with so many breeds in the genetic make up,black was the dominant gene the more you went down that road and always went back to a first cross type for earthwork, tried many types over them, I also put a few other well known Russell terrier types over them : Greg Mouseley's, David Jones,Darren Scotts "eddie",a Gould dog, even bred off a Chapman bitch to a Plummer dog that was probably the worst bitch I ever owned and she produced weak headed tiny rubbish that were sold as pets, I gave her away to a pet home afterwards, so you see FD they were mostly first crosses that were scatter bred but there were some decent earth dogs in with the rubbish, I see that period of my life as a learning curve realising how important genetic lineage was at the starting point, the first few generations are easy but the uncertainty starts after that, problems come in with outcrossing to poor stock so its finding the very best thats already produced known workers of the size and stamp you require, then you have to convince them to let you use their dog,sometimes work is not enough of a promise and lads ask for a kings ransome, I've used dogs (Plummers) that lads have asked me to keep quiet about, finding a decent Plummer of that sort can be a real tester at times and the main reason I aquired my little dog "WILF", I have all I need to see me out and do not need to outsource again for the remainder of my time in the fields unless my lad "TOM" wishes to carry on with them, WM

• Like 1

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Him asking if the bitch had taken, an you half naked in a mounted position made me drop me buiscut in me tea

three quarter bred,quarter gary middleton bred Lakeland..hard but sickly bitch..

No problem Bosun.

Posted Images

They all started 100s of years ago by men who knew the successful ingredient to raring workers. Then handed down just the same as all other fieldcraft...

have to agree. and line breeding of a sort was carried out due to most rural villages being in the back of beyond. and transport limited. so there was a limited gene pool. most being bred to local dogs. and only once in a while new blood would come in. as happened in the lakes when the russells entered the fell terrier make up. then best to best again. so not such a new thing really.

• Like 2

It's been done before alright, remember a litter advertised in buy n sell around 94 or 95- I rang about them -which is how I remember ..probably make a good enough bushing dog..could come blue as new blooded plummers carry blue

• Like 1

You need to acquire a pup of the type "you" like as there will be good working types in all the terrier breeds, I only do a few fox these days so mine suit me fine on rabbit,rat,birds and ferreting,shooting,hawking, they listen and learn quickly adapting to anything, I had Russell types for years and they were not much different mate, you're best going out with the type you like and waiting for something off them,I don't know where you are in England but if you are in travelling distance I will gladly bring my dogs over for a bit of bushing or whatever, pm me if you like, WM

• Like 2

I have a supposedly plummer bitch but she looks just like a sturdy russell to me she is white and tan but isnt caped and appears to be a different shape to your dogs

plummers are like most terriers. pretty variable in type shape and size. get a pic up

• Like 2