Easter Uprising

Why do the Irish speak English and not Gaelic?It`s a genuine question.

a lot do speak our native tongue .[BANNED TEXT] britan came in started plantations did eveeything in there power to change us to protestant and we were forced to speak English that's basic it pal

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's been interesting watching this thread develope, and I am afraid I have some bitter news for the British lads. See, I am as proud as punch to be and Englishman......I was born one and I will die

I think there will be a united Ireland again one day. And let me tell folk something for nothing, ireland is nothing like England politically and socially and is all the better for it. They are just

it goes back a lot longer .english rule come to ireland throw out farmers home/land owners and take over there lands then make them pay to work land thats really theres stop us speak or langauge cant

Posted Images

a lot do speak our native tongue .[bANNED TEXT] britan came in started plantations did eveeything in there power to change us to protestant and we were forced to speak English that's basic it pal

It was the same in Wales.They made children in schools wear signs around their neck saying "WELSH NOT" if they spoke Welsh.

• Like 1

The kids all do Gaelic in school......and Irish history.........shame the schools in England don't teach English history.

The kids all do Gaelic in school......and Irish history.........shame the schools in England don't teach English history.

It's grand how Gaelic and Welsh are really pushed on the kids these days :yes: my brothers kids all speak Gaelic but none of the older generation in my family do.

It's grand how Gaelic and Welsh are really pushed on the kids these days :yes: my brothers kids all speak Gaelic but none of the older generation in my family do.

I agree matey, it's important to keep this stuff alive.......we are too busy learning about "diversity" in England to worry about traditional things ;)

• Like 1

Haha, anyone who knows me will tell you I can't even speak English properly ! Lol

My girls are exempt because of their age but my lad does it and can say a few bits and understand more than he can speak.

Obviously my youngest will do it from the word go.

• Like 1

I struggle with the one language too don't need to be confusing things trying to learn another :laugh:

They pick languages up so quick when they're young bet your lad will be fluent soon enough and like you say your youngest will be properly bilingual I bet. It's heartwarming to see a family of immigrants embracing the culture and fully integrating :laugh:

• Like 2

I did irish for 12 years and french for 4 years yet I could speak more french than irish. Irish when I was in school wasn't taught as a language like french was and it was usually taught by toss bags and the French teachers more open minded and human like.

We could have all been speaking german if history had of been a little different.

• Like 1

It's been interesting watching this thread develope, and I am afraid I have some bitter news for the British lads.

See, I am as proud as punch to be and Englishman......I was born one and I will die one.......but let's put aside the petty insults and write off murdering b*****ds as what they and get down to some hard facts.

Now Britain may have won a lot of wars, it may have inflicted some serious damage on the Irish in the lead up to independence BUT Britain has definitely lost the peace.

I live amongst country folk, farmers mostly and they are living just perfect......officials can f**k off, people help people just because and without a second thought, no one complains if you park a bit dodgy or put up a big shed, they don't give a f**k if you are walking your cows down the road and they have to wait a few minutes, there's no traffic wardens, the coppers all know you and leave you alone if you behave yourself, if you catch a thief in your barn and beat shit out of them nobody's going arrest you.....they will turn their back and drive off and let you get on with it.

I say this with a very heavy heart to my English brothers, but don't be too smug with the Irish boys because you are genuinely f****d over there in England and you would give your eye teeth to be able to live the way these lads do.

That boys, is the fact.

• Like 14

It's been interesting watching this thread develope, and I am afraid I have some bitter news for the British lads.

See, I am as proud as punch to be and Englishman......I was born one and I will die one.......but let's put aside the petty insults and write off murdering b*****ds as what they and get down to some hard facts.

Now Britain may have won a lot of wars, it may have inflicted some serious damage on the Irish in the lead up to independence BUT Britain has definitely lost the peace.

I live amongst country folk, farmers mostly and they are living just perfect......officials can f**k off, people help people just because and without a second thought, no one complains if you park a bit dodgy or put up a big shed, they don't give a f**k if you are walking your cows down the road and they have to wait a few minutes, there's no traffic wardens, the coppers all know you and leave you alone if you behave yourself, if you catch a thief in your barn and beat shit out of them nobody's going arrest you.....they will turn their back and drive off and let you get on with it.

I say this with a very heavy heart to my English brothers, but don't be too smug with the Irish boys because you are genuinely f****d over there in England and you would give your eye teeth to be able to live the way these lads do.

That boys, is the fact.

excellent post atb