Harrier Or Foxhound

i think ul find he said it was general rule of thumb he was referring to which i totally agree with... obviously there are good fell english and welsh hounds but in general the standard is poor with maybe the exception of the fell hound which i dont have enough expierence off to comment on

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My small pack.mostly beagles.have a few terriers aswell.only hunting fox.

So you're just making stuff up to make your point?   Things are done very differently in Ireland. It's legal for a start. Maybe that's because we do things differently? Maybe it's legal because we h

It's ridiculous to compare alot of packs. Each pack and each country is a whole world apart. I think you can only judge a pack once you take into account it's country, availability of quarry, resource

Posted Images

I have hunted all breeds of Foxhound , and have been able to form first hand opinions as to the merits of the different breeds . Have hunted Beagles and Bassets too . When you see a single Basset or an Irish Harrier put a whole pack of Foxhounds to shame it tells you a lot about the qualities of the breeds .

Harriers in general hunt a fox better than Foxhounds but don't hunt a hare as well as Beagles .

There is a lot of " cheating " that goes on in fox hunting that doesn't do the hounds any good , and if the hounds were good there would be no need for malpractice .

Has anyone on here seen Foxhounds running with Beagles ? I have , they stayed together well enough until they started to climb the hills , then the Beagles pulled away and left the Foxhounds behind .

I'm amazed at some of the basic ignorance about hound breeds displayed on this thread .

There is good and bad in all , but I'm generalising about the merits of breeds from personal experience having hunted most of them myself .

As I said who here has actually experienced hunting Beagles and Foxhounds together ? Some Beagles are fast beyond belief for their size . They are much quicker than Foxhounds .

• Like 1

I've hunted my foxhounds with beagles well they were together at the start after five minutes the beagles were just hunting the big hounds trying to keep up. The harrier is a different story though as Ive stated previously love the drive if not the lesser control. foxhound harrier xs are just right for out here.

anybody hunt a pack of foxhound harriers and if so how do they hunt regards finding foxes, hunting, marking and tongue ????

In my limited experience foxhound harriers don't often work out,I seen more bad than good.lkeep good hunting beagles but never saw any that would pass out good foxhounds on speed alone,beagles probably hold a line better though and better tongue,foxhound tongue is shite,good marking dogs some of them.

For pure hunting u can't beat harriers.

Edited by derekbrown

ill throw a spanner in the works here what do you class as a good pack to me its a pack that accounts for foxes be it running it to ground in 5 minutes or whatever time it takes to me its about providing a service to land owners and getting them results

ive seen some packs that worked and could hunt really well together hunting same fox for hour or more but never seemed to put enough pressure to put it to ground and in the end it give them the slip

• Like 3

A good pack of hounds only ever speak if it's chosen quarry is found if it's chosen quarry is not found during the days hunting they will not be heard all day they will be steady with livestock They will draw automatically with the want to find all day and not needed to be pushed. they will also mark correctly and very vocally. They will have drive and stamina to be able to run all day from 9 till dark come November . They will have reasonable voices so they can be heard for miles. last of all very good noses because a hound can't run anywhere without a good nose to lead him

• Like 2

A good pack of hounds only ever speak if it's chosen quarry is found if it's chosen quarry is not found during the days hunting they will not be heard all day they will be steady with livestock They will draw automatically with the want to find all day and not needed to be pushed. they will also mark correctly and very vocally. They will have drive and stamina to be able to run all day from 9 till dark come November . They will have reasonable voices so they can be heard for miles. last of all very good noses because a hound can't run anywhere without a good nose to lead him

Sounds like a foxhound pack :D

Cheers, D.