Harrier Or Foxhound

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My small pack.mostly beagles.have a few terriers aswell.only hunting fox.

So you're just making stuff up to make your point?   Things are done very differently in Ireland. It's legal for a start. Maybe that's because we do things differently? Maybe it's legal because we h

It's ridiculous to compare alot of packs. Each pack and each country is a whole world apart. I think you can only judge a pack once you take into account it's country, availability of quarry, resource

Posted Images

Anyway people have ruined a go on here talking about beagles the thread supposed to be harrier or foxhound if you need to talk about beagles perhaps the bushing section would be more appropriate you can talk about terrier cross beagles then which would be even quicker in the cover for the knew Ireland with no open country

Foxbolter you talk that much shit i can almost smell it,you know f**k all about beagles so why comment,actually i reckon you know f**k all about any type of hunting,as for bushing you stick to that with your terriers.

• Like 1

Never seen any of the proper hunting men running beagle with harrier or foxhounds, I know one man who had them all and he swore by his pack of eight beagles or more and we'll bred going back to Northern or English dogs a good way back. If the hunted, rabbit or lazy, then it wouldn't be there, and the be good to Fox

ah well ya see a lot of people on here are only foot hunting and are working men pablo........presume ya mean horsey men with the mounted packs when ya say proper hunting men !

Sure maybe foxbolter is right we should continue the conversation on harrier or foxhounds only........leave the beagle where it belongs ...IN A CLASS OF ITS OWN

For out and out hunting the harrier would frighten the shit of out any foxhound by the drive, pace and voice in their hunts. Ive seen foxhounds intimidated by the harrier

• Like 2

the welsh type hound Milliken, great coat for nights out, independent, and great at escapeing from kennel when visiting other packs, o and very good at giving tounge on ferry home,

must be the way you breed them over there that gatlins the same cant keep him in lol

• Like 1

Yes, you're topic is about harrier or foxhounds, iam just a bystander who loves to see them hunt. By proper working hunters, dogs, I mean foot packs, small clubs, a couple of these I've seen and some other packs. The horse, foxhounds I saw, this is only one two packs, weren't as great, only because of the dogs, wasn't so full on and the outings

I think foxbolter is used to everything looking the part in england an thats why he is so against the beagle... i dont doubt the beagles abilty in fact he could prob hunt as good in summer as winter where as most foxhounds wouldnt have a hope and most harriers would struggle...i hunt pack of harriers wit few old english foxhounds wit them...now some of my harriers are small an they are not perfect in uniform size but all are pure harrier or pure foxhound....not saying these crosses cant be good they can but what good are they down the line u cant breed of them... But as for the beagle being introduced to this pack would be a big no no so im with foxbolter on that one...They just would not have a hope of staying with them in open country which we have alot of... especially doing long days...An this notion beagles are good in cover... beagles were bred for hares and the ones i saw were poor to draw cover especially after dinner when they get tired.. no expert just my thoughts

I think foxbolter is used to everything looking the part in england an thats why he is so against the beagle... i dont doubt the beagles abilty in fact he could prob hunt as good in summer as winter where as most foxhounds wouldnt have a hope and most harriers would struggle...i hunt pack of harriers wit few old english foxhounds wit them...now some of my harriers are small an they are not perfect in uniform size but all are pure harrier or pure foxhound....not saying these crosses cant be good they can but what good are they down the line u cant breed of them... But as for the beagle being introduced to this pack would be a big no no so im with foxbolter on that one...They just would not have a hope of staying with them in open country which we have alot of... especially doing long days...An this notion beagles are good in cover... beagles were bred for hares and the ones i saw were poor to draw cover especially after dinner when they get tired.. no expert just my thoughts

there are many in England that don't LOOK THE PART some lads have hounds of various crosses, that are just kept to do a job,think its more about the area they are used in, atb.
  • Like 1

Cusack I think u and a few have got the wrong impression of me. most of my hunting have been in the Welsh hills but enough lowland to know what it's all about. there was a topic on here the other day about how many packs you have been with I have been with 3 packs of beagles and with 22 foxhound packs that I can think of in Wales and about 8 in England and 6 in Ireland which some were harriers. some have been registered some were not some worth watching some not. I find I would learn something about hunting each time I hunt even with the bad packs you watch I'm out twice a week sometimes in the season but always once ever since i can remember I learn something each time and will probably still be learning till the day I die I find you learn a lot off good huntsmen but watching hounds themselfs will learn you most. I've never been one to dress up to go hunting I've been in a rugby jersey and a good coat and good pair of boots on most occasions but I would never condem a man for the way he dresses or if he's well spoken he would probably not wear the cloths he wears by choice. I don't think the coat someone is wearing as any bearing on the way hounds hunt. I think I have only ever been with 1 pack you would say are uniform but I think it's good to get them of similar height and build it gives them equal the chance then to keep up with each other

• Like 1

Thats a fair enough post foxbolter and maybe u were misunderstood a little....Its just around here some of the foxhound men would look down there noses at the harrier packs who hunt on foot....The same lads just turn up on a days hunting an go home when over or half way through when having bad day...the same lads have no idea the work time dedication not to mention expense goes into keeping your own pack of hounds...one thing for sure there wouldnt be a hope of them same lads doing it...Do u keep ur own hounds...???what type..??? What type of country do u hunt..???

• Like 1

the private packs I have been out with here in NI are mostly a mix of beagle x springer x terrier or harrier x beagle x terrier, from years of self bred yards great on fox and can do a mark don't run off miles and easy handled, I have seen a few fox hounds work our patches on invite....feared of the tight thorns and brambles and useless on fences...

• Like 1

Easter weekend did two days hunting with a fox hunt gun pack. We hunted 10Klms of river plus swamps and the rough country around a lake. they hunt a mixed pack of beagles and jack russells the beagles did very well and pushed 42 foxes to the guns for the two days.

Ive owned 10 foxhounds and most were typical mounted hunt hounds however the last dog hound I owned came from the peel hunt in Perth, he was a pack on his own and could run a fox on his own it went to ground or it was dead.

The local hunt The hunter valley hunt club changed from a harrier pack in the 90's to a foxhound pack over a 10 year period. They stayed the course during that time xing draft hounds to there best harriers unfortunately they did not realise how good these x bred hounds were and started breeding straight foxhounds now days they just lament the lost opportunity to follow the x-bred line and maintain the harrier blood.

Edited by stevemac
  • Like 1

Nicholas first part of post can sometimes be true but not always .intelligence and ruteen can make a hound become controllable. Hunting unchosen quarry is down to lack of intelligence by not being able to identify scent. Not a great sin to some but can be very dangerous on a hillside and fell with the odd sheep in presence . which rules out the pure harrier in many parts. The last piece of your post is load of crap .your fell hound for a start will drag a line that is a couple of hours old for a hour(nose? ) then rise it's quarry and hunt it down given off a cry that rings around a vast fell. not mentioning it draws a mile or two away from its huntsman to find quarry . is that not desire to hunt. Welsh hounds I admit have lost some standard in Wales due to being bred for shows but not all there are still some good the Welsh hound is famous for its voice and being able to hunt the rugged hills and face thick cover off the hill . And believe me there are some Welsh hound still around with good noses. And don't tell me all English hounds lack desire and nose I'll give in to voice. To me a pack of hounds that will draw will answer a lot of questions of desire to hunt.

• Like 1