Just Started Pup Trotting Next To The Bike..

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Haha, interesting topic for me, as I've been riding with whippets, lurchers, staghounds since the late 80's. Even used to skateboard with 2 of them at once, that was fun, lol. Definitely got scabbed

Haha good luck. Let me know when you take your first tumble. Lol

You've got them dogs pulling you along you lazy slug ... They ain't fukcing huskies lol .........

I bought this works a treat and frees up both hands still ended up doing about 90 when the dog wanted to cross in front of the bike to say hi to a little westie he don't like :laugh: but a bit of braking soon bought him in line

Big spring in the bar to absorb the bulk of any sudden dive

That's the one I have...there's a lot of stretch in the bungy though,keep expecting it to go twang and whip him across the arse lol

It's great though not having to pedal for 7 miles lol

• Like 1

I bought this works a treat and frees up both hands still ended up doing about 90 when the dog wanted to cross in front of the bike to say hi to a little westie he don't like :laugh: but a bit of braking soon bought him in line

Big spring in the bar to absorb the bulk of any sudden dive

That's the one I have...there's a lot of stretch in the bungy though,keep expecting it to go twang and whip him across the arse lol

It's great though not having to pedal for 7 miles lol

fuk roy i now you wanted to put wait on ciryl but that jest to much mate whats you dont stub you toes in them fekin flip flops :D

• Like 1

Haha, interesting topic for me, as I've been riding with whippets, lurchers, staghounds since the late 80's. Even used to skateboard with 2 of them at once, that was fun, lol. Definitely got scabbed up a few times.

I use a harness on the pullers (from sled huskies) ....but most get it after a while and stop pulling too hard. But, the dogs absolutely love it....I just touch my bike, and they light right up with joy. I think it's almost as good/fun as chasing quarry for them.

In town, always on a lead, and in the bush, off lead 100% of the time, they just love single track....if you want a small example of how much they love it, check out this video...I just shared it with Dan on here last week to give him an idea of what we've been up to for years....sadly this video shows a bro that recently passed away but the footage is absolutely incredible and you'll love the whippet. (RIP Kelly McGarry)

Great that :thumbs: . Yep, those whippets are too fragile to run over rough ground though! lol :laugh::doh:

When i run my dog side of bike i get some right looks on my estate i got a hint of lady other day cant you walk poor dog rather than runnin side bike nowt as funny as folk is there lol

Last year I had the same of a old dear with the fatist lab you have seen...lol..

Thick as mince, you gotta love em lol

Haha, interesting topic for me, as I've been riding with whippets, lurchers, staghounds since the late 80's. Even used to skateboard with 2 of them at once, that was fun, lol. Definitely got scabbed up a few times.

I use a harness on the pullers (from sled huskies) ....but most get it after a while and stop pulling too hard. But, the dogs absolutely love it....I just touch my bike, and they light right up with joy. I think it's almost as good/fun as chasing quarry for them.

In town, always on a lead, and in the bush, off lead 100% of the time, they just love single track....if you want a small example of how much they love it, check out this video...I just shared it with Dan on here last week to give him an idea of what we've been up to for years....sadly this video shows a bro that recently passed away but the footage is absolutely incredible and you'll love the whippet. (RIP Kelly McGarry)

Great that :thumbs: . Yep, those whippets are too fragile to run over rough ground though! lol :laugh::doh:

amazing watching the dog move over those jumps and keeping up so close, dread to think of them getting tangled up tho, it was bad enough when mine decided to run right into the side of me in the park at 5mph...

Thought you guys might like that vid....as for riding, I think a good way to practice is to first learn how to ride a bike with one hand (and have that hand on the rear brake). Once you master that, then hold the lead with the other hand. Way safer than tying the dogs to the bike and you can bail off quick too. Also, keep the seat lower. Just my 2 cents from someone that's been doing this for almost 30yrs...plus if you start when they are pups, they won't have the power to pull you over and will learn how to handle themselves appropriately....all my dogs got it pretty quickly.

Whippets...lol, people underestimate them....maybe they have thin skin, but they'll do pretty much anything and are tougher than they look. Mine was a little nuts, but survived being run over by a car twice, tangled with a bighorn sheep ram, an elk with full rack, a black bear with cubs, and a pack of coyotes....had to sew him up a few times that was it...

:thumbs: brill little dog, always liked whippets :thumbs: , real shock that the lad died of heart attack only 33, more so when he was fit like that. was like when Bruce Lee died another very fit man gone early :yes:

I take all 4 of mine at same time but have them all on one side on two double leads. Had a few harey moments usually at beginning when one of em decide to stop for a shit!! Mixed journey of roads lanes & tracks so they get time on & off leads. Atb

Quick ten mins loose in field before getting jogged on the bike otherwise it's a trip over the handlebars lol been there a few times never let go of the leash lmao

Great exercise once they used too it I like too finish by couple mile free running for them up n down gears