Terrier X Whippet

Gaz_1989

Why aren't these little dogs more popular?

Is it because they aren't quite small enough to be a busher and not fast enough to catch in the open?

I met one out mooching yesterday out of a mixed terrier bitch and a pedigree racing whippet sire. It was mad keen, did okay in cover for a pet dog. It had bags of potential.

I imagine they could be cracking little mooching dogs and no doubt excel at ferreting? Not to mention a steady, easy going, low maintenance little companion?

They just don't seem very popular.

I always liked Skycats border X whippet and krawnden on here has got a 3/4 terrier 1/4 whippet which also looks a handy little tyke.

• Like 1

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

His is my whippet x russell, a very useful dog

A lad i used to know had 2 russell/whippet types a long time ago handy ferreting mooching catch in cover dogs used to work old railway embankments copses waste ground etc suited him fine a couple of r

A terrier x whippet is never going to have the speed to run a rabbit down in the open on a regular basis. But - provided it's not too big - it should have the speed to run one down in cover. As to whe

Posted Images

A lad i used to know had 2 russell/whippet types a long time ago handy ferreting mooching catch in cover dogs used to work old railway embankments copses waste ground etc suited him fine a couple of rabbits the odd bird he was happy. The majority of lads near me wanted lamp dogs daytime hare dogs horses for courses. Limited in what they could do but one mans meat is another mans poison as they say. .The ones i saw were good little opportunists. Forgot to add they would work cover well and hit brambles like little rockets.

Edited by darbo
  • Like 4

Is it because they aren't quite small enough to be a busher and not fast enough to catch in the open?

I imagine they could be cracking little mooching dogs and no doubt excel at ferreting?

I always liked Skycats border X whippet and krawnden on here has got a 3/4 terrier 1/4 whippet which also looks a handy little tyke.

i could be on the lookout for a rabbiting dog later on this year and like the sound of a border x whippet "ive always had a lot of regard for borders" would a leggy border x be quick enough to catch ? given decent stock to start with ! i would imagine it could be capable of providing quite a lot of fun !, i know its not a long range dog but as a general rabbiting dog ! i was leaning towards a beddy whippet but food for thought for a novice rabbiter .

Thanks for the replies boys.

Nothing against the beddy whippets but I think they tend to throw more to the "out and out runner"? I might be wrong. They seem to throw racier due to the beddys natural shape. Obviously great little rabbit dogs but I don't know what they would be like bushing?

I know a lad with a 3/4 whippet 1/4 beddy and I haven't seen her since she was a pup but his bitch is meant to be a demon in and around cover.

I will always keep a big lurcher but with the law and public perception these little knock about mini lurchers could be the way to go for some lads.

Especially the lads out mooching every day like myself.

What have you seen work or worked Ross? Handy little thing?

Devon flighter I reckon it would be ground dependant but around here a border X whippet could be capable of mopping up bunnys in the small fields and around the bramble patches etc.

I imagine they could be cracking little mooching dogs and no doubt excel at ferreting?

i could be on the lookout for a rabbiting dog later on this year and like the sound of a border x whippet "ive always had a lot of regard for borders" would a leggy border x be quick enough to catch ? given decent stock to start with ! i would imagine it could be capable of providing quite a lot of fun !, i know its not a long range dog but as a general rabbiting dog ! i was leaning towards a beddy whippet but food for thought for a novice rabbiter .

ive caught rabbits on the lamp with a long legged border on more than one ocassion and had plenty of good days out ferreting hedges with one also she was a tidy bitch. having said that ive done a bigger scope of things with beddy/whippets and rate the dogs if you get a good one then you could certainly have some fun.

• Like 2
Guest Navek

sky cat had a dog called cricket think that was quick enough catch rabbits while ferreting

I used to have a russel x whippet that was a good ferreting dog and keen ratter I would have another terrier x whippet in a heartbeat in fact I wouldnt mind a patterdale or lakeland x a whippet or greyhound but it would have to from the right stock.

Often thought about one ,little rabbit rat squirrel dog /mooching dog ,I wonder why you dont see patterdale x whippet more often.

The wife reckoned the beddy whippet cross looked cute,so know i could got one an she wouldn't objected but when I started hunting for one they was all £3-400 and seemed to be catering for the horsey /country type,I honestly wonder If the beddy whippet is going to be the new Hancock lurcher for the Barbour coat /hunter welly sect.

A lad i used to know had 2 russell/whippet types a long time ago handy ferreting mooching catch in cover dogs used to work old railway embankments copses waste ground etc suited him fine a couple of rabbits the odd bird he was happy. The majority of lads near me wanted lamp dogs daytime hare dogs horses for courses. Limited in what they could do but one mans meat is another mans poison as they say. .The ones i saw were good little opportunists. Forgot to add they would work cover well and hit brambles like little rockets.

Isn't that a wee russell/whip on that old out of town video, when he was out ferreting?

Atb

Isn't that a wee russell/whip on that old out of town video, when he was out ferreting?

Atb

:thumbs:

• Like 1

Atb

:thumbs:
Great that is, cracking wee dog. Wish OOT was still on.

Atb

• Like 1