Gaz_1989

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

His is my whippet x russell, a very useful dog

A lad i used to know had 2 russell/whippet types a long time ago handy ferreting mooching catch in cover dogs used to work old railway embankments copses waste ground etc suited him fine a couple of r

A terrier x whippet is never going to have the speed to run a rabbit down in the open on a regular basis. But - provided it's not too big - it should have the speed to run one down in cover. As to whe

Posted Images

Think the answer was in the first post. Yup end up with a dog that is compromised on speed for a decent runner and size for an out and out bushing dog. If you can live with the compromise then I would guess you could have plenty of fun with this x. I have seen a fair few whippet x Beddies struggle daytime on bunnies when the odds are stacks against them. I will always stick to dogs for specific jobs and I am not the most demanding of owners atb

A terrier x whippet is never going to have the speed to run a rabbit down in the open on a regular basis. But - provided it's not too big - it should have the speed to run one down in cover. As to whether or not it's too big to be useful, I think that'll depend on the size of the parents. You get both big and small whippets just like some terriers are much bigger than others.

I guess I'm biased, but having got one I certainly wouldn't want to be without one. Mine's about 15" tts and she flies through all but the thickest cover with no bother at all. And for the sort of ferreting I do, which is predominantly brambly/thorny hedgerows, she's perfect. She regularly catches them in the hedge and if she can't catch them she'll either push them out where there's a chance with either the lurcher or a longnet, or else she'll run the hedge behind them and mark wherever they next go to ground so you get a second bite at the cherry.

post-92720-0-96085400-1457979865_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Think the answer was in the first post. Yup end up with a dog that is compromised on speed for a decent runner and size for an out and out bushing dog. If you can live with the compromise then I would guess you could have plenty of fun with this x. I have seen a fair few whippet x Beddies struggle daytime on bunnies when the odds are stacks against them. I will always stick to dogs for specific jobs and I am not the most demanding of owners atb

A terrier x whippet is never going to have the speed to run a rabbit down in the open on a regular basis. But - provided it's not too big - it should have the speed to run one down in cover. As to whether or not it's too big to be useful, I think that'll depend on the size of the parents. You get both big and small whippets just like some terriers are much bigger than others.

I guess I'm biased, but having got one I certainly wouldn't want to be without one. Mine's about 15" tts and she flies through all but the thickest cover with no bother at all. And for the sort of ferreting I do, which is predominantly brambly/thorny hedgerows, she's perfect. She regularly catches them in the hedge and if she can't catch them she'll either push them out where there's a chance with either the lurcher or a longnet, or else she'll run the hedge behind them and mark wherever they next go to ground so you get a second bite at the cherry.

rsz_20160313_1643191.jpg

I wasn't knocking them or anyone's dog. Just I think it's better to have a busher and a runner rather than trying to achieve both for general mooching/ bushing but I can see the benefit for ferreting on certain ground atb

rsz_20160313_1643191.jpg

I wasn't knocking them or anyone's dog. Just I think it's better to have a busher and a runner rather than trying to achieve both for general mooching/ bushing but I can see the benefit for ferreting on certain ground atb

I know you weren't knocking them. I guess perhaps the point I was trying to make is that I don't regard mine as a runner by any stretch of the imagination. As far as I'm concerned she's an out and out busher. She just happens to be a fast busher. And the fact she's part whippet doesn't make her too big to do the job; I doubt there are many places she couldn't push a rabbit out of that a smaller terrier could...

Everyone on about terrier x whippet ....... Bedlington whippets been around for donkeys years

I was taking about the smaller terrier X whippet types such as that of krawndens. The beddy whippets tend to throw more of a runner due to the shape and size of the beddy don't they?

I was interested in the Lakey X whippet, patt X whippet, Russel X whippet, border X whippet etc.

Cheers for replies folks.