Lurcher Dam.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Good luck with your search,,,,it's good to know what you want,,,,   But I will say this ,,I think it's a bit much that you want to tell the owner of the bitch,,,,to only keep 6 pups on,,,I would tel

His great grandmother ventured forth with me on a tatty picking trip into South Wales,when tatties were £2 a sack picked,i spent a while in romany company and getting £7 a week extra on the dole becau

get straws and then you can wait till the right bitch comes along.

Think tomo and blackmaggie are right. As the stud you cant make the rules

A decent stud is harder to source than a decent bitch,the stud dictates the rules at times and

I hope you find the right bitch Morton but I agree with tomo and I or most would settle for pick of litter as you own the sire but 3 rd pick has well I would tell you to feck off with that one but good luck

The owner of the bitch im looking for will be as keen as myself to breed for all the right reasons,working progeny,giving 2 pups up for the right sire would be a small price to pay in the bigger picture,id rather have 4 quality pups to do with as i wished,from the right type of sire,than have 5 from somebody less demanding.The right bitch offers as much as the right sire,in breeding,possibly more,im on the lookout for a specific dam with a specific type of owner the other 99% ill manage without.The right sire often dictates the rules and the owner of the right bitch will dictate their terms accordingly,either can walk away if their wishes are not met.

I'd imagine most folk would want to put a decent sire over their pride and joy and yours sounds like just the ticket but to call the shots on how many are kept with 1st 2nd 3rd pick is a bit much. Probably better buying your ideal bitch in and breeding yourself then you can do as you please. Your young dog is giving a teaspoon of fat and in return you get pick of the litter or price of a pup, that is where your involvement ends I think.

Matt

I'd imagine most folk would want to put a decent sire over their pride and joy and yours sounds like just the ticket but to call the shots on how many are kept with 1st 2nd 3rd pick is a bit much. Probably better buying your ideal bitch in and breeding yourself then you can do as you please. Your young dog is giving a teaspoon of fat and in return you get pick of the litter or price of a pup, that is where your involve the ends I think.

Matt

In an ideal world id have a bitch to breed from,i don,t and cannot source the right -un that suits,ill nearly guarantee these will be the last lurchers i put my time,effort and tears into,thus they will be bred right to suit or ill borrow my lads dog when the opportunity arises,which is not enough.Im still motivated enough to want what i want and nothing else,ill do without and concentrate on the terriers,i hate going out with the terriers and no lurcher,its like owning a gun and no bullets.

morton i grew up with deerhound collie type but not saw many good genuine ones for years i keep the saluki collie type and are very good at there job , the nearest ive saw were when i was hunting in america plenty good staghound crosses bitches came in at 25 27 , dogs 27 upwards very good allround dogs , some bred them to the saluki and got very good jackrabbit dogs,and coyote dogs ,its been 25 years plus since we had the deerhound collie type, made some good hare catchers ,nite dogs on roosters roe ,our dog was 27 bitch 26 , they could run on a bit , no lack of wind and pace , alas we never had the brains to breed and keep the line going good luck

• Like 1

just seen its 18mths old. :icon_eek:

The sire to Mortons dog was put over over his auntie at a similar age because we tried a repeat mating of Tiggers dam and sire but the sire was too injured to do the task so plan b was tigger over his auntie to keep this blood going ....this decision was not taken lightly and I guarentee you there were not many first season dogs put as much in the bag as he did and the style he done it in ...also all his siblings out of that litter were flying ....like has already been said the lads up and down the country running this stuff it's not just a hobby it's an obsession their dogs are truly tested ..Morton has already lost 2 out of this litter already in their first season and he obviously sees something special in his dog that has made him come to that decision ...sometimes you just have to do what you got to do and I hope it all works out for you

• Like 2

Im on the look-out for a Genuine dam,Deerhoundy/Collie based,no whippet,Bull or terrier in the mix,first dog in last out type of lurcher,pace,power and commitment and an excellent strike rate.What i offer is a stud,only a sapling,yet ripping pages out of the lurcher manual,bred as right as they come.Id be taking 1st and 3rd choice pups and don,t want anything over 6 left on the bitch.MY only interest is with genuine folk that may be able to assist my endeavour,the rest ill live with.Im posting on here as i don,t know anything worth breeding from,somebody on here may,any genuine help pm me,the rest post your drivel and amuse the forum.

Do you not mean you will be taking 1st and purchasing 3rd choice morton,as i dont think thats how it works pal when you sire a dam.1st pick if somebody users him but after the 2nd pick from the dams side its all down to a deal you do either swap or exchange cash or if ya lucky gifted.im just say from reading on your demands but the other thing is you want to hope somebody wants to use your dog but like you say if not it might be ya last.atb

Edited by lurchers

Good luck Morton !

I feel your gonna need it to find a bitch and owner that will meet your expectations .

An honest bitch in an honest kennel,it was once easy enough to source such.Have times changed that much?,especially if looking for a Deerhoundy/Collie type.There are an awful lot of them bred on the Welsh border,many in Scotland,Leeds was once an hot bed as well as North Yorkshire,there are an awful lot of hunting folk that visit this forum,many genuine and honest about their mutts,im looking for one of them.

Morton I looked for a couple of years(not long I'll give you that ) to try find a deerhoundy lurcher that was a good un to put over my bitch for no other reason than I really like there attitude and temperament but not the huge size of the first crosses today. I found a few here is n north Yorks but none wanted to let me see dog work, even tho they were willing to take my stud fee, a couple of these dogs also had collie in there make up. Not saying you won't find what your after, but I think it may take a lot longer than you think

I can understand the reluctance to show a stranger a dog at work,its come back to bite me a couple of times,a more willing nature to a fee would have set alarm bells in motion.

Good luck Morton !

I feel your gonna need it to find a bitch and owner that will meet your expectations .

An honest bitch in an honest kennel,it was once easy enough to source such.Have times changed that much?,especially if looking for a Deerhoundy/Collie type.There are an awful lot of them bred on the Welsh border,many in Scotland,Leeds was once an hot bed as well as North Yorkshire,there are an awful lot of hunting folk that visit this forum,many genuine and honest about their mutts,im looking for one of them.
like I said good luck , it would be nice to keep us updated when you find the right bitch

I think that's a balls excuse Morton, I'm not asking to see or for blue prints to there kennels, not even asking to know where smebody lives, don't see why showing your dog out doing what we do is dodgy, unless you have summat to hide, granted you may find you don't like dog or owner, but without trying you never know, if I decide to breed now I'll use a mates coursing bred dog, a dog Iv known all its life.

When you have had dogs stolen,especially 4 times,the reluctance grows,since i chose my hunting partners a tad more carefully ive never had a dog stolen since,moving house twice and having an Akita in residence over the last 20 years certainly helped.Called me sceptical but you could meet a stranger 20 miles from your abode,as i once did,he did his homework and within a week i was minus a Coursing bitch,a useful Deerhoundy and a black terrier.In an ideal world a dog would be seen grafting to gauge its potential worth as a stud,that ideology bit me on the arse and hardened my outlook on strangers.